Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center
Villagio Verde(West End)
Lands End(West End)
Cocolobo(West End)
  • Restaurant
All reviewssunken fishking crabyoga studiowest endoctopustranquil staylaid backeagle rayowner chrisa short cab ridebarrier reefsea lifegreat caresmall grouptropical paradiselion fishgreat guy
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Let me begin by saying that my husband and I are world seekers – new thrills and experiences. We like to enjoy something and somewhere once, mark it off the ol’ bucket list, and move onto the next adventure. When we arrived at TranquilSeas Roatan, we planned on doing just that. And also, let me note, that there has not been a vacation (up to this point) that we have ever remembered names of any of the staff members.

At the airport, we were greeted by Greg with his large wooden paddle that showed TranquilSeas. No confusion or waiting for a shuttle. A great start to the vacation. The hotel was only about 15 minutes away from the airport, but was located in a place that seemed extremely secluded from anything on the island. This is an added benefit of the trip since the last thing you want to do after flying all day is spend more time on travel.

Once at the resort, Fernando greeted us with an introduction to the resort, a tour, and a greeting session. I fell in love with the resort the moment I walked in the front doors. The setting of plants, rustic tree house style rooms, and flowers added to the ambiance of tropical paradise. Then, once your eyes spot the incredible view that surrounds your new “home”, you will quickly realize this is where you want to stay forever.

Our room, the Hummingbird, had an array of landscaping that created enjoyable smells with a combination of beauty. The deck overlooked the ocean and was equipped with a hammock and of course, hummingbird feeders (which attracted the largest Hummingbirds that I have ever seen). The craftsmanship of the entire resort was impeccable, with endless attention and care placed into every inch. The room was quaint but the space was utilized perfectly. We are very appreciative of using less space that has more function.

Our meals, which we included in our package, were 5 star every time. Then, to add to our delight, Johnny (the chef) would come and converse with us to ensure we were satisfied. Then we had Samir at the bar to whip up some wicked mojitos (best I have ever had) and creamy pina coladas. The setting of the bar area was all natural recycled trees and other quirky plants that made the scene completely unique and fun. The handcrafted details were top notch and made the environment perfect for paradise. Of course, the entire place overlooks the clear blue ocean that invites you to jump in for a snorkel. Like tourists, we photographed the view too many times to count. It was just so breathtaking.

On to diving. We are PADI Advanced Open Water divers and we chose to add the specialties of Search & Recovery, and Wreck. We worked with Di Faukner, who has one of the best “tough as nails” personalities we have ever met. She was such a knowledgeable instructor and really taught us a lot about our certifications. Then, because of her awesome British accent, we were entranced in her conversations (and usually picked on her a bit)! We enjoyed diving with her and Edwin (the other instructor) so much, that we already decided we will return to complete our Rescue Certification and more specialties.

The diving itself was lovely and the reefs were plentiful and had so much to offer. We spent most of our time on certifications, so we did not site see as much. But when we did do a few fun dives, we were greeted by Moray Eel, lobsters, crabs, and huge grouper. To add to the experience, the resort arranged for Mickey Charteris (author of “Caribbean Reef Life of the Bay Islands, Honduras) to come do a presentation about the Reef and all of its wonders. His knowledge and background proved impressive and we were so thankful to learn everything he taught.

Now, onto the owner, Chris Benson. His passion for his life work showed every time he spent moments relaxing with us and talking about the island or the resort. He took time to mingle and make sure our stay was absolutely perfect. He was genuine and a completely beautiful person (both inside and out). Never have I been to a resort where the owner takes the time to personally spend time with each and every guest, remembering their name and caring about their experience. He really mastered putting the whole “heaven on earth” package together.

With all of this said, we enjoyed our trip so much to TranquilSeas that we have already planned on returning within a year. This place offered an experience like none other and avoids the tourist trap that seems to be seeping into our world. You build a family away from home and are given the opportunity to find yourself in the tranquility of paradise.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lanzen
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Why do we keep returning to Tranquilseas? Because it's a uniquely beautiful, peaceful, intimate resort with excellent cuisine and service nestled alongside the magnificent Mesoamerican Barrier Reef!

After snorkeling on previous visits, our family decided to become scuba certified by the Tranquilseas dive masters. Their team was experienced, patient and professional, and we couldn't ask for better excursions.

Room Tip: Although the bathroom layout is awkward, you can't beat the view from the large, new King Crab suite.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 May 2014

TranquilSeas is a fantastic eco-lodge with great staff. From check in to check out the service is phenomenal. Their website is absolutely correct when they say you can have as much or as little interaction as you like. We were there during off season so it was peaceful and relaxing. Samir, Fernando, Greg, Chris, Paul and Johnny all made us feel like family. We had such a great time that we extended our stay for 2 additional days!
Since this was a holiday that fell between our 25th wedding anniversary and my 50th birthday we were looking for a location that was tropical and extremely laid back and we found the perfect mix at TranquilSeas. We purchased the meal package and were never disappointed, the food was consistently delicious.
Although we are not divers, we were able to snorkel right off the dock and see some amazing fish and corals on an artificial reef in relatively shallow water. If you are looking for good value for money, excellent service, friendly staff and a peaceful and relaxing holiday, TranquilSeas is a great place to stay!

Room Tip: The Hummingbird Cabana has great sea views!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LasVegasGypsy
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

I after my travels to Belize I met the owner of the hotel and he invited me and my fiance to see his place; we arrived a few days later and found this beautiful place, with amaizing landscaping and beautiful facilities. I was really impressed with their dive shop, it's really complete and all the equipment is like like new.
I recommend to stay at this hotel to enjoy a great vacation!!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Castropolous
Reviewed 11 May 2014

My wife and I visited Tranquilseas for about 11 days in late April. We really enjoyed the place. It fits the overall vibe of the area in Sandy Bay -- laid back, quiet and relaxing. We are divers and spent a good deal of our time in the water. Di, the dive master / instructor, was great, as was the rest of the crew. I have a pretty bulky camera rig, and they were very accommodating.

I recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a small, family-owned resort that is truly environmentally sustainable. The place lives up to this billing … it's not just print. In fact, we bumped into some other folks from our home while visiting there (we live in western Colorado) and they shared the same comment. By the way, one of the highlights for us was meeting all the wonderful guests during our stay.

I read some comments about the food and 'slow service'. On the food, the menu is very good and the meals are good. The staff was not in full force during our stay (one of the owners was out of the country) and perhaps that lent itself to the less-than-stellar comments by others. We saw it as circumstantial, and as a general comment i think you can bank on the food as being very good. We were under the inclusive plan, but took the opportunity to visit some nearby restaurants which were also very good. As to the service, please be mindful that nothing is fast in the islands, and that is part of the attraction. It takes a mental adjustment. The day we returned to the States (we spent some time in Utila after Roatan), we were quickly reminded of the fast-paced and impatient atmosphere that governs here. So be patient and enjoy the wait. the view is wonderful!

Accommodations -- excellent. we stayed in Treefrog and loved the privacy. AC is kind of a must at night, as we did not have a lot of breezes while we were there ... the rooms are clean and cozy. Bring shampoo.

We will return to Tranquilseas at some point. Thanks to Chris, Di, Paul, and all the others who helped make it a memorable stay. I have attached a few photos.

Room Tip: Treefrog was very private with a nice view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple