“Second time was better!”

Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Sandy Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Bullard, Texas
“Second time was better!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

As you can see from my previous review, I loved this place. Therefore, I took my wife back without children this time. We stayed at the Tortuga cabana. While I did miss the view of the Octopus, this room was fine. Did not have a great view but it was a great value. To boot, we got a 15% discount coming back. I believe that the website initially quoted a 20% discount but, no matter. I would have come back anyway. Room was very nice and quaint, much better than a hotel by far.

The thing that impressed me most was that everyone had a memory of us being there last. Even our dive instructor, Henry, asked about the kids. That is awesome!. Try and get that at a Hilton.

The food was much better than last time. Good job Johnny! (He's a great guy to talk to as well)

Diving here was the biggest difference. I did get advanced certified before I went and it opened up a great many opportunities. I do recommend this if you have the time. They do offer a course there which is plenty adequate but more expensive I would think. Nonetheless, I was in total awe of the creatures, structures, and trust that we had. My wife was not advanced certified so she had to stay at 60 foot but she was OK with that and saw almost everything that I did. She just could not go completely down to the wreck which was OK by both of us. Henry was great about ensuring safety in that regard. Kudos to you, Henry. you have taken great care of my family and now my wife. He also took care of me in a precarious situation with low air and was very, very professional about it. I hope I gave you enough tip! LOL.

Monica is always the great host. She may be one of the sweetest people I have ever met. No lie. Fernando was also a great guy, made me feel at home. His wife is very nice as well. I did not do Yoga but she seems very professional. I cannot comment on that part but, there is a great setting for that and I wished I would have tried it now. Had a big family hug at the end which only furthered my love for this place.

Samir. Well, what can I say. He is a great bartender and I consider him a friend now. Told him that I will be back at least once yearly and that he has to grow old with me. I think he took me up on that challenge. Enjoy his company greatly!

Chris has always been good and entertaining as well. Cannot brag on him enough.

There are many other staff members whom I cannot remember names of at this point, but I think the world of them all as they were all very nice and special in my heart.

As you can see, our second time coming was more like a family reunion. They remembered us and made us feel very special. Because of this we will always be "lifers" to this magical place. I cannot recommend this place enough. In fact, I have asked that many of my acquaintances to stop by on their cruise, just to see it. I know many of them will. I told them to say hello from the proctor family when they come by.

In short, do not stay any other place if you look are looking for a home feel, a wonderful staff, and a great time. Chris... don't you dare charge more for this gem!

See you next summer!

1 Thank agswin00

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Wheaton, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at Tranquilseas for a week to celebrate our honeymoon (5 years later). We aren’t divers but were interested in staying in a small, eco-friendly resort with easy access to snorkeling. And the Sandy Bay Area of Roatan was recommended by friends. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend the resort. The staff was friendly and engaging. They really made sure we had an enjoyable stay throughout the week.

One of my favorite aspects of our stay was the opportunity to practice yoga in such a peaceful and inspiring setting. The Sky Deck, where yoga classes are held, is perched up high and overlooks the bay. The classes that we attended were taught by Brooke. Her contagious positive energy and passion for teaching yoga kept us coming back to class every day.

I would say I am at a beginner level, and my husband had never practiced yoga but always was interested. Well, my husband not only tried yoga, but liked it so much that he came to class with me each day. Brooke does a great job at tailoring her instruction to students of all levels in the same class. As we attended classes throughout the week, she kept the routine varied and different every day. I’m sure the other instructors are equally as talented; our experience was just limited to Brooke. I highly recommend taking some yoga classes during your stay even if it’s your first time! And if you are staying with your significant other, Partner Yoga is a MUST.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bridget A
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here alone to dive after spending a week in West Bay with my mom. This hotel such a nice change to the very busy West bay. The beach sand is not as nice but no one tries to sell you stuff every 2 seconds and it is quiet and secluded with beautiful ocean views.

As all the other reviews will tell you Tranquil Seas is amazing! It has a home like atmosphere with super friendly and helpful staff. There are even lovely pets in case you are missing your own.

I stayed in Hummingbird cabana which has a gorgeous sea view and it's just like staying in a tree house with air con and plumbing! A Very islandy hotel -which is so much better than the concrete monster hotels.

Matt, the dive guy, was accommodating and chill. His relaxed manner made diving enjoyable and he was able to point out interesting things to see. My favourite dive was the Wreck with it's captain- a 6 foot green moray. Thanks to Captain Kerry to getting us to and from dive sites quickly and safely.

Johnny the cook did a great job of ensuring my gluten free, vegetarian needs were met. And the food was delicious!!

Monica and Fernando ( I never did meet Chris ) were both truly welcoming, kind and helpful.

This place a gem and I highly recommend it!

Thanks To everyone for
Making my 5 night stay memorable.

• Stayed August 2014
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

First time staying here, and what a luxury it was! Besides the amazing views, the room was outstanding in all details and your see they care about their Hotel. I was lucky to be there on the Tuesday and had live music, drink specials and food specials, which makes for a "non thinking experience" just pure RELAX. Will be back given the chance again. Thanks to all of you making this happen.

1 Thank Tanya C
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

My girlfriend and I recently visited Roatan and enjoyed an amazing y stay at Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center. Located in Sandy Bay, we found this location secluded enough to provide the tranquil getaway we desired, but with the ability to find fun and action in nearby West Bay and West end, if we desired.

The first thing you will notice is the intimacy that's created by the friendly, family like staff, and the layout of the rooms. Nestled on the hillside over looking the ocean, It almost feels like one giant tree house. We stayed in the King Crab, and the fit and finish in the room was first class with lots of high end details and touches including custom inlaid trim, built in 4 post bed, walk-in rain shower, and balcony with full ocean views. Like something out of a conde-naste magazine.

We did the gourmet meal plan which is a nice value, although we ended up skipping a few dinner meals and exploring the islands restaurants. Keep in mind, nothing is super cheap here on the island, as they sorta recognize that they have the tourists in the palm of their hands, so expect to pay higher end prices for food and beverage throughout the island. This is another reason the meal plan is attractive.

The lodge itself stays relatively quiet, and we ended up making lots of friends over the course of our week long stay. One plus is there are 3+ lodges right next store so people tend to visit each place and mix and mingle. If you want an escape, you can simple walk up the beach for a new experience.

The staff at the lodge were always friendly and accommodating to any requests. This is not the Ritz or 4 Seasons, but they truly aim to make it a special experience for you. We ended up visiting West Bay and West End, as well as traveling to the central part of the island, and the more we visited those places, which are very touristy, the more we recognized that Sandy Bay and Tranquilseas are the right spot to stay. Centrally located, yet quiet and peaceful.

Not to be missed, is the diving and snorkeling. The Tranquilseas Dive staff are very professional and on point with everything. They dont cut corners, and they know there business. You may not see giant fish everywhere, but the reefs and variety of species cannot be beat. Another plus is you can snorkel right off the dock and swim to the big reef, or when the dive boat is running, its only a 5-10 minute ride to the big reefs. So getting on fish is quick and easy.

Roatan was an amazing trip for us, and if you plan on going I would highly encourage you to experience Tranquilseas. Whether you are going for fun with the family, diving, or couples getaway, the staff here will show you how they make relaxing easier. We had a great time, and highly recommend Tranquilseas.

San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed nearby, and dove with Tranquilseas divemasters and ate several times at the restaurant. Wonderful folks! Diane Faulkner, Matt Lazich, and Captain Kerry are great hosts. I look forward to our next trip to Roatan and will be staying at the resort.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Just returned from our second visit to Tranquilseas. We can't say enough about the beautiful surroundings and helpful staff. I love the thatch roofs and the island decor. It's relaxed enough to walk around barefooted, have a drink from the bar, read a book and look out at the amazing ocean views. The food is amazing & fresh (thanks Johnny!) And, the diving is out of this world. Henry & Matt are so very friendly & knowledgeable about the reef life. (Last time we brought the kids, ages 11 & 12, and Henry was great to have diving with us...patient & FUN.) Chris, Monica & Fernando keep things running seamlessly and are full of ideas if you want to leave the lodge and experience local attractions. I think they can arrange a flight into space if you wanted. We only left once during this stay...since the restaurant is closed on Thursdays during lunch/dinner. And, it was recommended that we try a little place on West End to eat at...which was also very good. We walked to end of the lodge's driveway and caught a cab - it was $5 (for 2 ppl) to get to West End (always negotiate first!) We could have had someone make arrangements for a cab to pick us up but we wanted to see if we could hail one down on our own...it worked! Snorkeling right outside of the lodge is to die for. We missed the sea horse and the octopus this time but we were so worn out from the amazing dives that we only snorkeled once! Lots of juvenile fish, a small barracuda, conch and starfish are always around. We absolutely love how relaxing & laid back this place is. There are things for everyone to do and the lodge itself is in a perfect location between the busy West End area (ship traffic) and the airport. It's a small lodge so when you're diving you are less likely to be on a large crowded boat. Our opinion is that it's the best lodge on the island...it definitely has the best bartender! Love it and will return again (next time with kids because they were really upset that they missed out on this trip)! Great vacation!

Room Tip: Tortuga is near the front of the lodge - quiet, private room w/a small porch. Octopus has 3 rooms a...