“Clean, friendly service, comfy rooms. And right by the beach!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa del Sol

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West End
Casa del Sol
Roatan, Honduras
“Clean, friendly service, comfy rooms. And right by the beach!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here twice..once in Sept for 2 weeks and again in Dec-Feb for 3 months. I loved it so much the first time I decided to stay there again when I returned to Roatan. I really have nothing negative to say about it. The rooms are super clean (I stayed on the lower level the first time and on the second level the next time). The second floor is nice because it has a big balcony with a hammock facing a pretty garden. It was worth it to pay a bit more for that perk. The prices are really cheap for West end. I researched a lot of places since I was going to be staying for a few months and found that this was the best value.

I was a bit concerned about staying there after reading a few reviews about the dogs and security. I always felt secure there. It is well lit and there are bars on the windows (newly installed, apparently) and security cameras everywhere. The dogs were actually what made me feel safest. They do bark at new people coming through the gate, but once they meet you they're very sweet dogs. I got to know them quite well over the 3 month stay so I can say with certainty that they are harmless pups. Being a woman traveling alone I felt much safer with them there guarding the property.

Overall I think it's an awesome place and would definitely stay there again. The manager is super nice and will help you with whatever you need. He really goes above and beyond. Amazing service, great location, clean, cozy rooms - a total bargain for what you get.
Perfect :)

• Stayed December 2013

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Medellín, Antioquia, Colombia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

I spent two nights here on the recommendation of several people. I had room 3 on the garden level for $40/night.

I liked the bright painted walls inside, the quality ceiling fan, and the steaming hot water in the shower. It was clean, I saw no bugs inside, and I slept well on the bed. I also liked that they supply free bottled water (a big 5 gallon bottle with dispenser).

Because it's a few blocks from the louder bars on the weekends, it's a good option for those who want to get to sleep early.

If available, get a deluxe room on the second floor as they have porches and stronger wifi.

The wifi signal was too weak for me on the ground floor. I recommend they install a second router on the ground level, maybe under the patio ceiling outside room 3 in the middle to strengthen the signal.

Mark the current Canadian manager is friendly, and I hung out with a bunch of the expats living there long term. Would stay again, and happy to recommend.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank David L
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

Back for my second time at Casa Del Sol. First trip was only for 5 days, this time its for a full month.
Love it here!! The Manager Mark is awesome, whatever we need or ask for,he is right there to help us, even loaned me his laptop!
Three more great weeks to spend on beautiful Roatan.
Thanks Mark for making our stay an enjoyable one and taking the time to show us the top spots in town:)
Marie and Vic

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank marie l
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

I live outside of town and stay at Casa del Sol any time I want to come to town for an evening out. I've stayed here probably 8 times so far, and will continue to do so! The location to West End can't be beat. New manager Mark has worked closely with the owner Sara to get some additional security upgrades for the property - bars on the windows, more lights, cameras, double-key door locks, etc. There is a lockable compartment under the sink so bring a lock with you! The windows are lockable too, so check before you leave that they're locked. Also don't be stupid and leave expensive electronics by the windows...this is a third world country, what do you expect? Smart travelers will have no problems here.

I personally love the dogs they have here, but if you are scared of dogs I don't recommend this hotel for you. They do bark and come down to see who is coming in. I think it's good...they would definite scare away any would-be thieves. Doesn't bother me. If it would bother you, pick another hotel but just know most properties in West End have dogs on the premises to bark at people coming in as a security measure.

The rooms are cheery, more than adequate for the price, clean and plenty of hot water. A/C available for an extra charge (pay it in the summer, it's worth it). The rooms have different bed configurations and kitchenettes, just let Mark know what you need and he'll make it happen. Highly recommend for budget travelers, you're not going to get a better deal in West End!

Room Tip: The ground floors have patios, and second floor rooms have decks. #6 on the ground floor is a solid...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank cellodora
Quebec, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed there for 2 nights and it was way enough.
Good: hot water in the shower

Average: there is a kitchen but it was dirty with bugs everywhere and we didnt trust the salubrity of this to use it.

Bad : the dogs are always barking during the night and one tried to attack me so i was pretty scared. I read comments about those and thought they werent that bad at first but was really disappointed that they were pretty true.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Marie-Josée T
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed in Roatan for around 10 days in October, and it was fantastic. A big part of that was the accommodations. Mark, the canadian manager, was a huge help and very accommodating. He let us borrow things, pointed out great places to eat and drink, and was overall a really great host. Our room had a private patio, which we used all the time. The property has a couple of pet dogs who were really great. And our room had a fridge and stove and sink, which was great for whipping up a snack or meal when we didn't want to go out. And we didn't opt for a room with A/C, but the overhead fan worked just fine. Thank you Casa del Sol for a fantastic trip!

Room Tip: Bottom rooms have a patio, top rooms have a balcony.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Josh W
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

First of all, if youn are in any way scared (or even mildy nervous) of dogs, then this is definitely not the place for you. They have 3 MAD dogs who bark all night long, and everytime someone walks by, or comes home. They not only growl, but they come running towards you, looking like they are ready to pounce. Quite a horrid welcome home when you come back to your room at night.

The room itself was decently decorated, good size and a passable kitchen with a fridge. Balcony with a hamock, although being at the back of the property facing the garden, you really could not sit out there certain times of the day, due to mosquitos trying to eat you alive.
I had the more expensive room, and did not see the normal room. One HUGE complaint I have was that in addition to the dogs barking outside my room all night, the walls between the rooms are extremely thin. Unfortunately, I had a North American couple next door, whose conversation I had the pleasure of hearing and who seemed to watch DVDs all day long. (at least when I was there) It was as if we were in the same room. I also had a family staying upstairs, with children jumping, running from the early hours,and could hear them constantly moving (dragging furniture).

I was there during Semana Santa (Easter week), which apparently is the busiest time of the year. Perhaps the dogs are calmer at other times of the year. Perhaps you get quieter neighbours (guests) after Easter. May be I was unlucky. After staying there for a week (as I had pre-paid), I moved to Posada Arco Iris, right on the beach (review on this later), which was cheaper, nicer and better located, with a seaview balcony.

If you do decide tostay at Casa del Sol, do not take them up on the offer of an airport pick up (USD 20). When you arrive at Roatan airport, just walk outside of the airport carpark (it is not very big), and the main road is right there. A taxi will come by in about 2 seconds. (there is definitely a surplus of taxis in Roatan). Depending on your negotiation skills, a taxi to the West End should not cost you more than about USD 5 - I did one trip which cost me about USD3.50. "Private" is always more expensive than a "Colectivo" (shared - with passengers going roughly the same way).

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank MaakT
casa-roatan, General Manager at Casa del Sol, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
We are very sorry that your stay with us at Casa del Sol was so unpleasant during Easter in March 2012.
Unfortunately at the time the manger in place was doing a very poor job of looking after hotel as well as the dogs. It came to our attention that the dogs were being left out at night and were barking and disturbing the guests as a result.
The dogs are on the property for security purposes but they are also pets and they need to be looked after properly. We are really sorry you felt so threatened by them - they are not mean dogs but based on the situation created as they were being mistreated it appears they became nervous about the property as people were coming in and out of the gate during the evening.

This manager was removed from his position in the middle of May and we had an intern manager in until October, 2013. We now have a new manager running the property and things are being run properly; the dogs are being cared for with love and our guests are happy and enjoying their stays with us.

Our main goal is to ensure that our guests have a great experience staying at Casa del Sol.
When issues arise we really do try to address them as fast as possible - once we were aware of the situation we searched for a replacement and have made major changes since the time of your stay during Easter (March/April) 2013. Again we are very sorry as unfortunately this was too late to change your experience but we are working to ensure our future guest have only positive experiences during their time with us.
Furthermore, to address a security concern we have added additional security bars to the hotel room windows and put in a surveillance camera system to help create a very comfortable & enjoyable environment for our guests while they stay with us.

We now have a fantastic new manager running the show. Mark has great energy and lots of very fun & forward thinking ideas about how to ensure Casa del Sol is a great place to stay during one’s vacation on Roatan.
The General Management of Casa del Sol
#1 of 5 in French Harbour
Splash Inn Dive Resort
Splash Inn Dive Resort
#2 of 7 in West End

Been to Casa del Sol? Share your experiences!