“No pretensions here - only simple rooms at the right price.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa del Sol

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West End
Casa del Sol
Houston, Texas
“No pretensions here - only simple rooms at the right price.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2010

Casa del Sol started off with bonus points: they answered the phone as we were scrambling for a room the day before departure. And Casa del Sol did not disappoint: it is both no-frills and still quite welcoming. The rooms are decorated sparingly but with bright tropical colors. (If you enjoy the doily-festooned style of some B&Bs, this would not be the place for you.) The balcony is a welcome retreat in the early and late hours when the heat of the day is at its ebb.

Although we didn't need the kitchen, only the suite was available... and so we learned to make use of the freezer straight away: it held a variety of frosty towels to be applied to sun-drenched foreheads and backs. (After one night we relented to the arctic pleasures of A/C, an option that ought not be declined.) The staff are so unobtrusive so as to be invisible: they are very friendly and simply go about their business.

The location is not on the "main road" of Half Moon Bay, but instead lies conveniently at the crossroads of the Flowers Bay and West End roads. This means a 5-minute walk along the dusty shoulders of the road. Be forewarned that the hotel sits back from the road a bit and is partly obscured by a restaurant, whose proprietors will guide errant visitors to the proper building.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2010

I stayed on the ground floor at the Casa del Sol. The room was clean, bed was comfy, effective ceiling fan, hot water. The housekeeper cleaned the room everyday & was very nice. The night watchmen was very friendly & always said, "Hi" during his rounds. The watch dogs were intimidating at first but once they were familar with your scent they were very sweet.

The thing I loved best was the tropical garden. Yes, it was a hot spot for skitters but if you spray your OFF/Deet bug repellent, the bugs leave you be. I spent every night sitting in the garden in the cozy rocker, enjoying the soothing sounds of night critters & insects. The garden even has sand crabs!

The kitties were friendly. Our neighbour whom lives at the Casa was friendly. At night the small lizards would hang out on the porch. The clothesline was perfect for drying your swim gear. The location was quiet & a 5 min walk to the Half Moon Bay Beach. I loved the Casa del Sol & was sad to say farewell.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2010

Just spent two weeks at Casa de Sol and loved it. The room was cheerful and had everything I needed, the mattresses were good. The maid service was impeccable. I don't know how she managed to nip in every day to clean without ever disturbing me, with my irregular schedule, but she did it! The house is well-built, it was quiet and didn't heat up all that much. I always was comfortable just with the fan, didn't need the AC at all. There was good water pressure and actually real hot water! The location was just perfect: the orientation of the house and the little distance to the busy road made it so much quieter than some of the other places I've seen there. And still only 2 minutes or so to go the diveshop. I dived at Coconut Tree, great place, very safety-minded and training-oriented, and I highly recommend it - but all the other dive shops aren't all that far away, either. Neither are the restaurants and bars of West End, 'downtown' starts 2 minutes from Casa del Sol. My little kitchenette was well enough equipped to let me cook most of my own food - a big plus, since dining out is not really cheap in West End. The private patio provided ample space to dry my dive gear, and with four sweet dogs always on guard duty (plus fencing), I wasn't worried about security one a bit. But the piece de resistance was the backyard. It felt like a secluded little jungle oasis, surrounded by flowers, palm, banana and mango trees, with rocking chairs where late at night I could even catch a wireless signal. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, and if/when I come to West End again, will certainly stay at Casa del Sol. It was the great value that made me choose Casa del Sol, but it's the location, the backyard, room, service and how quiet it was that will make me come back.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
St Albans, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2009

We stayed in a double room with private bathroom.
Good points:
- Fan, aircon available if willing to pay extra
- Quiet area (although connecting walls are quite thin and some rooms have connecting doors to the room next door which could be a problem if you happen to have a noisy neighbour!)
- Kitchen area in room
- Hot shower
- Towels
- Mesh Windows to keep out mossies (of which there are a lot!) but allow in air
- Lockable cupboard
- Comfy bed
- Walkable to beach and main strip
- $30 per room per night
- Patio next to room with table and chairs
- Trampoline in garden!

Bad points
- No mosquito net, so bring one along!
- No breakfast, internet, or other services.
- When we went the manageress was away due to personal reasons and had a friend looking after the place. Unfortunately she wasn't around most of the time and the reception was locked up. We didn't get any email response on trying a reservation, we didn't get the free 5 litres of water you are supposed to get on check-in (until we managed to track her down a couple of days later). Even paying on check-out was difficult because she was never there!

The place also has lots of animals, at least four dogs I think, a couple of cats and a turtle. If you're not keen on animals, probably not the best place to stay! There's also a portable paddling pool in the garden but it was empty. The rooms seemed to be occupied by solo people living and working in West End (i.e. renting), we didn't see many people 'on holiday'.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
salt lake city
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2009

Great rooms with kitchenett and very sweet owner. Sara did everything she could to make our stay wonderful. The large private decks with hamocks and chairs where a perfect for kicking back. There where some mosquitos because of the damp location so bring the spray. Location was just far enough away to get some quite but close enough to walk to the beach in half moon and west end. The floors are tile and can get very slippery so if you have a baby learning to walk take extra caution.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2009

We stayed in Casa del Sol for a week when we stayed in Roatan. The rooms were cheerful and clean and the owner Sara and her staff we friendly and helpful. Having a readily equiped kitchen saved us a lot of money and I would recommend the Casa for budget minded couples. The hostel also comes with two adorable children (Sara's kids) to entertain you as well as a couple friendly dogs, cats and even a turtle. Very close to the beach yet removed from the noise.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2008

My family, including two young children, stayed at Casa del Sol for 2 and half weeks. It worked out perfectly for our family, with the comfortable, clean, large rooms and easy walk to the heart of West End and the beach. Sara Didcott, a Canadian born hotel owner, and her staff surpassed our expectations with providing us great service (locate and pickup lost baggage), information on local activities, tours, doctors, dives etc. and the use of her nannies so that we were able to dive together. The environment was safe, well kept and friendly. Upon our return to Roatan we will definitely stay here again.

• Liked — family friendly setting and a manager who cared for us like family
  • Disliked — dogs
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near West End
#1 of 5 in French Harbour
Splash Inn Dive Resort
Splash Inn Dive Resort
#2 of 7 in West End

Been to Casa del Sol? Share your experiences!