“Best place to stay for Scuba Divers”
Review of Mariposa Lodge

Mariposa Lodge
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in West End
San Diego, California
“Best place to stay for Scuba Divers”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

great place to stay you get way more for you money. lots of dive shops one block away. they will all store your gear. The hotel manager Jessie had great restaurant suggestions and travel tips. I felt like part of the Family. Stay here save your money to tip the boat crew. and buy local crafts it really helps out!

Room Tip: the hotel is of the street, and has a commune type place where 3 rooms share a kitchen and two Bathr...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Bud B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Montevideo, Uruguay
Reviewed 17 June 2014

It was a great experience to stay in this Hotel.
The room was very nice and super confortable with a hammock in front of my door to rest when the sun sets after a great day of diiving.
Susan is an amazing lady, very interesting and someone perfect to spend hours sharing stories and experiences.
If you decide to go diving, the location is very near to all Diving Centers in West End, I decided to dive in West Bay and the hotel is located just 50mts from the water taxies dock that take you to West Bay.
Is also located perfectly to go out for dinner and drink, just a few minutes walk from the best bars and restaurants.
It was my first visit to Roatan Island and I am definitely going again next year.
Thanks Susan for a great hospitality and for being one of the greatest factor of this amazing experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The property manager, Bornie MADE our stay. Without her, we would have been considering our options somewhere else. We were in town to get dive certified at West End Divers, just around the corner. They were awesome convenient. We started in room 2 and determined that we DID need the A/C. Room was great, albeit to warm for my comfort. We then moved to room 7 (a/c apartment) with horrible water pressure , a terribly hard mattress and when the island power was out - the room (with NO windows became an oven) Enter Super Bornie! She came to us and offered us a room (2) with better ventilation to enable us to be cooler in the power outage. We then moved to room #1. The bed in the back was awesome comfortable. The room next door (to the left, sorry forgot the room #) was offered to us, the A/C was broken. We never saw Sue or Mike, but they were great with returning emails to coordinate paypal payment, which saved on a tax rate. We would NEVER stay there again, but they are so incredibly fortunate to have the staff that they do. Bornie is amazing and we would love to see her at a property that would allow her talents to shine. P.S. they also have chickens and roosters about that crow and unheavenly hours of the am. when YOU want to sleep in...they don't.

Room Tip: The bed in room #7 is horribly hard. #1 in the back has a nice comfy bed, but NO a/c. The bed in ro...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Estevanico
Mike2008Roatan, Owner at Mariposa Lodge, responded to this review, 10 November 2014
Following your stay and review, we closed our AC rooms.

They will reopen in December with new electronic AC's, new beds and vastly improved water management systems.

We can fix just about anything we know is broken. Once we know it's broken. Unfortunately there is extremely little demand for the AC rooms and mechanical things deteriorate quickly when unused in this environment.
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Pros:
Affordable
Perfect location (right next to West End Divers)
Friendly staff
Wifi (although somewhat shaky connection)
DVDs to watch at night

Cons:
Roosters
No generator in event of blackouts
Shower water pressure very low

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 March 2014

The lodge is located 2 minutes walk from the beach front which is good if you want to be on a quite location. All you will hear during the night are cock crows.
It's basically an old big house, where the facilities are ok, clean and you can enjoy your hammock at the porch.
The only bad thing for me was that reception wasn't very helpful for me. Sometimes when you get to a place like this you have questions like "what can I do here, what would you recommend, restaurants, etc." but nothing.
Also, in the most of the hotel there's not internet connection.
Overall, it's a good choice but probably not the cheapest on the island.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better Wifi connection

Utila, Honduras
Reviewed 12 March 2014

A great little place hidden behind the main shops, restaurants etc in the West End. It takes a couple of minutes to reach the beach and facilities, yet I found it very quiet. So an excellent location. The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly. Even though there isn't a 24 hour reception, there was always a member of staff close by to help when needed.
The apartment itself was light, good size and very comfortable. Hot water and fans, little kitchenette which I did not use so I cannot comment. They do not have cable TV, but there is a wide selection of DVD's in reception which you can borrow. I would recommend taking a few at a time, as some didn't work. All in all, I would recommend this lodge and return myself.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Mariposa Lodge was everything I wanted and more. For a very low price I got a very clean, well maintained room that even had a kitchen and fridge. The fans were enough for me to stay cool at night. The location is perfect - set back a little from the street but still close to everything. I was traveling by myself and felt very safe. Management was very helpful and worked with me to figure out key drop and storing my bags before I left. I really loved the hammock hanging on the porch!

At one point the water did go out (because of pressure issues affecting all buildings around them) but this is to be expected on an island where things don't always work perfectly (part of the charm if you ask me). I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West End
The Beach House
#4 of 7 in West End
Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center
Seagrape Plantation Resort

Been to Mariposa Lodge? Share your experiences!