“Safe, warm, welcoming and easy on the pocket book”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Chillies

and 1 more site!
Hotel Chillies
Ranked #2 of 13 West End B&B and Inns
Hillsboro, Oregon
“Safe, warm, welcoming and easy on the pocket book”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

I tried this in Spring 2013. I had been to the island 1 time before and stayed at Posado Arco Iris. While I liked that hotel, I had decided next time down to try Chilies. For 1, I dive with Native Sons, and 2 the location is perfect, and the price is awesome.

My cabin had 2 beds in the front room, a ceiling fan, regular free standing fan and a solid wall with a pull curtain door that separated the bathroom. (For this reason,you probably really want to like the person you stay with). I stayed on my own. While I traveled with a group they stayed at various places and I stayed here by myself. I felt 100% safe. In fact I would be comfortable going on a trip down there to dive by myself and stay there.

There was hot water in my cabin although I doubt I used much as the normal temperature of water tends to be fine. Tepid works in the tropics :).

The lady that made up my room was very sweet, and when I had dropped some money under the bed she placed it on top for when I got back. It wasn't much, just a few lemps, and I would not have noticed had it been gone, but she was very honest.

Rooms have screens on them and I had geckos on the screen at night. It was fairly quiet, you could hear the music from the bar down the street, but they close up fairly early, and there is a rooster that gets crazy around 4 am. I would listen to my music and rarely noticed unless I was staying up late reading.

Mish was very kind when I lost my key under the deck and came and helped me fish it out. All in all, it was a great experience. The cabin is off a paved path, very shaded, and had an outdoor light and hammock. The gardens are great, and I just had to walk down the path to dive in the am.

Clean and safe with friendly help and I think I paid 36 dollars a night.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Bragg Creek, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

We recently spent 5 nights in a private cabin at Chillies and loved every second of it. The cabins are small but cute and provide everything you need for a backpacking home. There are a ton of screened windows for fresh air and the fan was powerful enough to keep us cool and comfortable overnight. We had a clothesline to dry our suits post scuba and our own hammock to relax in. Wifi is available by the main building and the shared kitchen is clean and tidy. Best part - the beach is right accross the road.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kelly N
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

We stayed in a private cabin with my husband in July 2013 and were very happy with our stay. The cabin was clean and comfortable with our own porch and a hammock. The location is great (the beach is just across the street) and there is a kitchen to make breakfast etc. We also spent one night in a shared cabin which was fine as well. While there is no AC the fan is enough to keep you comfortable during the night. Also, I think the cabins were really cheap compared to what you get. Recommended!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Haddon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

In 2012, my brother and I volunteered to take a next-day flight and got a voucher that we needed to use within a year. With both of us loving the Caribbean and both being on pretty tight budgets, we picked Roatan. And we picked Chillies. And we were very, very happy with both of those decisions.

At this price point ($32 per night for one of the cabins in June), I might've expected a slightly seedy or neglected vibe. But right from our first emails to management, which were prompt, professional, and thoroughly answered our questions, it became clear that this place is run attentively and intentionally. Mish and Alvin obviously care about their guests' experience and about their local community and environment on Roatan.

The location of this place was pretty much perfect for us. Go left at the roundabout when you reach West End, and that's where all the action is: the beach on one side and a line of small restaurants, hotels/guesthouses, shops, local businesses, and beach bars on the other. It's great if you want to bar-hop, get souvenirs, go out to eat, or do some people-watching, but Chillies is over to the right side of the roundabout, where development quickly becomes more residential. There's one bar across the street, and the neighbors may have chickens, dogs and kids and watch TV on the porch, but it seems more peaceful to me than being on the busy strip down the street. There are more other travelers there, and more large groups (families, college kids, etc.) traveling together. If you want to go "out on the town," it's easy to do so if you're comfortable walking a bit. (Or you can take a cab if you're not on a bare-bones budget.)

But the best part of the location is the beach access. It's right across the (rarely busy) street. I would go out there at sunrise with a cup of coffee and a book and it was wonderful. The hotel does not have its own official beach chairs, so bring a towel/mat if you want to lounge. It's not a big-resort-style beach, but feels more part of the neighborhood. Native Sons moors their dive boats at the beach in 4-5 feet of water, and in the morning there are people going for a swim and walking their dogs, kids coming home from school in the afternoon. You might get some sand flies or some guys trying to sell you knockoff sunglasses when you cross the street, but I loved it, and it's quiet and relaxed.

The swimming is great. There's a big seagrass field right off the beach, so it takes a little while to swim across the bay to the reef. It might be a little too far for young kids or not-too-confident swimmers, but I enjoyed swimming out there and then taking an hour or two to work my way around the reef. Depending on the day, there could be a lot to see. (Barracuda, eel, sea turtle, schools of blue tang, color-changing parrotfish, among others.) I also did my PADI certification at Native Sons, the dive shop attached to the hotel, which was wonderful. (I'll write a separate review.)

As a female, not-large North American, I had a lot of people warn me about safety issues before I left for my trip, but I felt very safe on hotel grounds. The owners live on site and cultivate a safe environment - it seems like they know their employees, are highly present and active on the property, and stay aware of who's coming and going. I also felt very safe in West End in general, just practicing basic awareness and street smarts.

We stayed in one of the cabins at the top of the garden. It worked out great for us, but if you are expecting an average European-style or U.S.-style budget hotel, this is not it. There is no air conditioning in the cabins, and it can get hot/humid in the summer. (We dealt with this by being underwater and/or taking naps in front of the oscillating fan during mid-day.) The sheet set on one bed may not match the sheet set on the other bed. The hotel only gives out one key per cabin, so you would need to coordinate with your travel partner(s) regarding who has the key. The bathroom wall in our cabin doesn't go all the way up to the ceiling and there is a curtain in lieu of a full door, so this might not be the best option if you need high bathroom privacy. The wooden cabins have big screened, louvered windows on all sides and are raised off the ground, so it does feel very outdoorsy - like cabins at summer camp, other reviews have said. The screens were in very good repair - I think during one whole week we had one mosquito in there. One of the cabin's best features was the porch out front: each one has a hammock, and my brother spent hours and hours reading there with a shady canopy of vines overhead.

The kitchen is in its own little cabin along the garden path. While it could use a couple of things (like a colander and maybe some more pots/cooking spoons), we were able to make a lot of pasta and beans in there. The kitchen is cleaned daily, but in between, guests are responsible for cleaning up after themselves - so if your fellow guests are messy, the kitchen might be messy. But we really appreciated the fact that we could cook our own food. When the hotel office is open, they sell single bottles of water, soda, and beer, so a couple of nights we got a beer or two to go with our meal. (Having a beer and watching geckos catch bugs is surprisingly good entertainment!) Since we were wary of drinking the tap water, it was also helpful that you can get a few gallon jugs and keep refilling them for a small charge from the big water cooler at the front office. There is a small restaurant a few doors down that sells cheap ($2!) and delicious baleadas (tortillas + filling) for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as burritos and chicken and such, and a small book sale/rental place in the hotel's main lodge itself.

We found that our fellow guests were generally very friendly and from all over the place - Central America, France, Germany, the U.S., and Australia. Many of them were long-distance budget travelers. I've done one extended hostel/backpacking trip in Europe, and the vibe at Chillies when we were there reminded me very much of the better hostels I've stayed in. My PADI classmate's mother even threw a little party in the front garden when we got certified, and invited everyone staying at the hotel. Definitely not like anything I've experienced while staying at a Super 8! Depending on the kind of travel and accommodations you are used to, it may be out of your comfort zone. But for us, it was perfect. I miss this place and I would love to come back someday. If I do, then despite the fact that I'm a hardcore budget traveler, I'm not even going to shop around before I make my reservations here.

Room Tip: Garden cabins might not be ideal if you need lots of bathroom privacy, but they feel like summer cam...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Stephanie M
Fishymishy, Owner at Hotel Chillies, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a long and detailed review. We really appreciate all your comments and I'm sure many potential guests will be encouraged to stay with us because of your kind words. Hope to see you back here again soon!
Quebec, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

We took a private cabin in the lil jungle court for 4 days at 26$ the night. Very nice!
You're surrounded in lush green gardens, beautiful flowers and crabs. Lots of crabs lol
There is a lil kitchen if you wanna cook. Right in front of the hotel, there is the Sundowners bar for drinks, owned by a canadian!
West end is very small. The hotel is at one extremety, but everything is at walking distance. The beach, is right up front. You can snorkel your way to nice corals in 5 minutes though you gotta rent your equipment elsewhere (5$) as they do not rent it.
Cost me 10$ of taxi from the roatan airport. They charged 20$ to my friend 2 days before. You have to bargain :D

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank suzin1000
Fishymishy, Owner at Hotel Chillies, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
I'm so glad you enjoyed our hotel and the beautiful garden and the snorkeling in the bay. Come back soon.
Danli, Honduras
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

Spent 4 days with Chillies on Roatan and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. It is basic but well-kept and clean. The staff was friendly and very helpful. While there is no A/C we were pleasantly surprised to find that the cool ocean breezes and the fans kept us comfortable through the nights. With Native Sons diving in the same location, restaurants, glass bottom boats, beautiful beach right in front, we really didn't have any need to travel to other sites.Thanks Mish for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: The private cabins are a great value
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
I am so happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay in our cabins. I hope to see you all again soon.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

Stayed at Chillies a few weeks ago and was absolutely fab. The location is great, opposite a gorgeous beach and Sundowners, a cool beach bar. Staff were lovely and the receptionist, Lilliana was so helpful. We dove with Native Sons, attached to Chillies and it was my first time diving and Eddie, the instructor was absolutely awesome, as were the other instructors. My bf is a more experienced diver and he really enjoyed it too. Saw turtles pretty much every time we went out. Couldn't recommend this place enough!

Room Tip: If you're not a fan of wildlife, go for a room in the main house. The private cabins are beauti...
Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
#3 of 7 in West End
Half Moon Resort
Half Moon Resort
#31 of 41 in Roatan

Been to Hotel Chillies? Share your experiences!