“Basics at a fair price!”
Review of Hotel Chillies

and 1 more site!
Hotel Chillies
Ranked #2 of 13 West End B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Basics at a fair price!”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Had a pleasant stay here! Very basic with limited amenities. Small cabins with clean sheets and private bathrooms. No wifi in the cabins only in the main building and very slow. Nice little food hut for local flavored breakfast and lunch. Very quiet with well mannered cats and dogs roaming the property. The staff was very helpful and nice when I needed to call the airlines and change my flights. Overall nice place if you are looking for basics.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Valparaiso, Indiana
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Hotel Chillies is a great inexpensive way to enjoy your time at West End. I had one of the private cabins for a week and feel it did its job well. I like that Native Sons dive shop and a cafe all on the same property as the hotel, so basically sleep, eat and dive all together at a great value. Working with the owners on reserving the room went smoothly and they were quick with their replies. They were also very honest about what to expect with their cabins in regards to them being the basics. Although they were very livable and I enjoyed my stay, I wouldn't say they are for everyone. Thanks for a great week Mish and Alvin.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Antigua, Guatemala
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Great people, in a 'family run' place where you really feel at home. We were there with our kids (who played with the other local kids on the beach). Took dive lessons at Native Sons (part of Chillies). Eddy was a great instructor (specially with the kids). We come back in august just before we fly back home and are definitively looking forward to that. I'd recommend this place to my family and friends but not to those who seek the 'big touristic beachresort thing'...

• Stayed July 2014
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at chillies. They have Clean rooms with a great location close todo the beach and are very reasonably priced. We will definitly stay here again and recommend it to our freinds.

• Stayed June 2014
Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I will try to be as objective as possible here. My friend and I stayed here one night in one of the cabins with two rooms.

Before going to bed, I inspected the beds and everything looked reasonably clean. However, I woke up at 2:00 am feeling things crawling on me. I turned on my light to find literally hundreds of small insects crawling all over the bed and me. I estimate there was at least one bug per square inch, and it was totally disgusting. Needless to say, I didn't sleep again that night. The bugs lessened with light, but were still crawling under the sheets come morning. My friend was ok.

We reported this to the receptionist the next day. I had assumed they were bed bugs, but she claimed they were wood lice and that they must have forgotten to "spray the room". Nothing was offered for compensation, and when we asked, she suggested $2 off. Finally, after showing her the bugs and much convincing, she gave us 50% off. We left and went to a hotel next door, which was much nicer, cost less, and had more amenities and fewer pests.

For an overall review of Chillies, it is a very basic hotel with wood cabins. It is more like camping or staying in a hut than in a hotel, which is fine, but just so you know what to expect. There are no towels or soap or anything like that. The rooms are at least cool at night because the wind blows through. There are is the odd roach-like creature on the floor and the expected wall geckos. You can hear animal noises at night as is normal for Roatan. The staff were pleasant enough, it felt safe, and the location is very good.

Nevertheless, I would definitely not stay here again and would not recommend it, especially if you think you might be traumatized by being swarmed by small insects as you sleep or already suffer from Empire of the Ants nightmares.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank jan k
Fishymishy, Owner at Hotel Chillies, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
I am really sorry that you had such a bad experience at our hotel. My husband and I are away from the island right now on our annual vacation and had we been there I would certainly have given you a full refund. This really is a rare occurrence. Most of the time the jungle critters stay in the garden but living in the tropics you can never completely shut them out, especially in wooden houses. I hope the remainder of your stay was wonderful and you enjoyed our beautiful island.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed for almost 3 weeks relaxing at Chillies.
It is one of the few budget options in the West End and is a good choice for those looking for a quiet location right on the water without breaking the budget. There are small individual cabins, 2 room shared cabins (with kitchen) or rooms with shared bathrooms and a shared kitchen. We stayed in one of the latter and while it was basic it was a good size for us and had 2 fans to "try" and cool us down - it was very hot.
These shared rooms are not able to be reserved which is a bit of a pain especially when you are arriving on the late ferry but Mish did manage to look after us and always responded to our emails.
The pro's of Chillies are the location, right in the middle of Half Moon Bay which is a little quieter than the rest of Westend and is a nice spot for a swim and snorkel. The gardens are gorgeous with humming birds and woodpeckers always around, lovely trees and flowers and mangoes always falling! There was a good kicthen for use. Also, there is a great shop called the Booknook on the premises where you can rent/buy books, tv shows etc. Lori who works there is so friendly and helpful - in fact a lot of the other guests thought she was the owner of Chillies which leads me to one of the slight negatives.
The owners of Chillies and the dive shop live on the top floor of the main house. During our whole stay we never met the husband despite trying to say hello several times, Mish his wife we chatted to a few times was nice but seemed hard to approach. I had the feeling they are trying to leave the general management and running of the property to the staff they employ. As we have found with other properties this usually lets the service and atmosphere of the place drop. The ladies who worked on the front desk were not overly friendly or helpful. We heard a lot of other guests and divers commenting they didn't feel like they knew who was managing the businesses. For example they left for their vacation towards the end of our stay and closed their dive shop and restaurant with no annoucements to the guests.
Only other slight negative was that the shared bathrooms were only cleaned once a day and so by the end of the day they were not overly clean, especially as they are used by all the divers after their trips and not only by the guests.
Overall would still recommend staying here as it is a good price, comfortable property in a superb location. Please note there are sandflies on the beach so for those who tend to have allergies just use a bit of spray.

Room Tip: if there are 4 of you - recommend the 2 bedroom cabins - with own kitchen
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Stanwood, Washington
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Very basic, but clean, friendly staff and a great mix of travelers.
Best if you get a room in the back garden.
Shared kitchen has room to keep your goods separate and your beer cold.
Dive shop here is great.

Room Tip: For privacy get a room in the back garden
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
#2 of 7 in West End
Half Moon Resort
Half Moon Resort
#31 of 41 in Roatan

Been to Hotel Chillies? Share your experiences!