“Once in a Lifetime” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stanley Submarines

Stanley Submarines
Ranked #14 of 36 Tours in West End
More attraction details
Owner description: Stanley Submarines is the premier location in the world for the public to have access to the deep sea. It is the longest operating and deepest diving operation of it's kind. We have been in business since 1998 and take tours as deep as 2000 feet.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Virginia
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 107 helpful votes
“Once in a Lifetime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

Truly a once in a lifetime occasion !! When else will you have have a chance to go down 2000 feet under the sea? We were completely mesmerized the whole trip. Marine biology has been a passion of mine for a longtime and this was a trip of a lifetime. We saw things that few people ever gave the chance to see with their own eyes. If you get the chance do it!!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank dcb4scuba

Ferndale, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Trip of a lifetime!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

On Friday, November 8th, I took a ride in Karl's submarine down to 2,000 feet. It really looked and felt like we were touching down on the surface of the moon. While there are alot of fun and interesting things to do on Roatan being able to do something that very few other people have ever done is an awesome experience. As you slowly work your way back up to the surface Karl points out the amazing and otherworldly sealife that live only at great depths. Karl is extremely knowledgable about the flora, fauna and geology that you are seeing. While this trip is not cheap it is worth every penny, if you can do this trip you must do this trip.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank ba1_10
Arlington, VA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Once In A Lifetime to go Leagues Below the Sea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

A friend and I booked the 2000 foot excursion and were not disappointed. Karl is extremely knowledgeable about the sea life. He thoroughly explained what we would see at which depth before we entered the submarine. During the excursion, he pointed out sea life and expertly maneuvered the sub so that we could get amazing pictures. After our excursion, we wrote Karl and asked more questions and he gladly identified creatures in photos.

If you are a diver or a snorkeler, don't expect a tropical reef at 1000, 1500 or 2000 feet below the sea. That being said, you will see things that never see light and you will never have the chance to see again except on Discovery Channel.

Some of our friends commented that they could never do it because they would likely feel claustrophobic. For two people (and Karl), it is not too small as you are sitting in a separate chamber than Karl who is standing up 'driving' the sub. I am not sure I would go with more than three people in the chamber.

2000 ft took about 3.5 hours. The time passed very quickly. There was a difference between the different depths. 1000 feet was vastly different from 2000.

Make sure to book early and confirm with Karl. There is no transportation to Karl but if the water taxis are reasonable and easily get to Karl (he's quite famous, really). He was very good about getting back to us and we were able to reserve using Paypal and pay the balance upon arrival. He even checked in with us when we got to our hotel.

Take a sweater and wear pants if you are going below 1500. It gets cold.

Overall, while seemingly expensive, this is a once in a lifetime excursion that is worth talking about for years to come.

**The submarine is equipped with a Cannon external flash so when you book, if you have a Cannon camera, I recommend asking Karl about it.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank JetsettingGrl
Kingston, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The yellow submarine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

Forget the zipline, scratch the shark dive and skip the horseback riding...take the sub to 1500 ft and see the world differently forever!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank willgrip4food
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
241 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 194 helpful votes
“Poor customer relations, unfair pricing and huge disappointment.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

I wish that I was writing this review talking about all of the cool sea life that I seen and how much fun I had. Unfortunately, that is not the case. I was in Livingston, Guatemala when somehow I heard about this deep sea exploration sub. I was so excited so I emailed Karl. I waited a day and received no reply back. I went ahead and arranged for a transfer to La Ceiba, Honduras so I could catch the ferry to Roatan Island. While I was in La Ceiba, I emailed Karl once again. I did not receive a reply once again. I went to Roatan Island and called Karl from my hotel. He actually answered his phone. I told him that I was in town for a few days specifically to get a ride on his submarine. He said that he was booked for the next three days, but that something may open up around Thursday. He mentioned that he had some friends coming into town and he wanted to give them some free rides. He mentioned that I might be able to get on board for 150% of the original advertised cost. I told him that would not be acceptable. I tried to call Karl on Thursday and he hung up on me. So I emailed him just asking for a "yes" or "no" as far as there being an opening for me to get a ride in his sub. In his reply email, he mentioned that he had some friends in town and he was going to give them free rides. He said that I could tag along on one of the rides, but I would have to pay 150% of the original advertised price. I told him that was not fair to me at all, but it did not change his mind one bit. He tried to sell me his offer by saying that he had not raised his prices for over 7 years. Is that supposed to make me feel better? This was a huge disappointment for me because I was so looking forward to it. I am a man of principle and was willing to pay 100% of the advertised price that he shows on his website. Nothing more and nothing less. Very poor customer focus and service if you ask me. Thanks for nothing Karl.

Visited September 2013
4 Thank Kyle L
subkarl, Owner at Stanley Submarines, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Dear potential customers:
Please note the following from Kyle's experience:
1. If you travel to another country, for the express purpose of doing one activity, but do not have a confirmed reservation, or have heard back from the sole proprietor, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.
2. Honduran phones are notoriously unreliable, if we get disconnected, please do not assume I hung up on you.
3. My prices are based on double occupancy- like how the cruise ship sells cabins. If you are traveling solo, please be prepared to either:

A. pay for both seats
B. wait to be paired with someone else who is willing to pay for the same trip
C. miss the opportunity to dive

Lastly, I would just like to observe that my only negative review here so far is from someone that was not a customer. Had they actually taken me up on my offer and paid for 1/2 of the other seat, I am confident they still would have felt that it was worth every penny.

Karl Stanley