“great place to stay and good food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Calico Mission House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West End
Calico Mission House
Lake Louise, Canada
“great place to stay and good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

I am happy to have found such a nice place as Casa Verde to spend a couple of weeks. I loved hanging out in the hammocks on the quiet and shady balcony. Douglas is a great host and can cook up some tasty meals on request. I would highly reccomend the Casa Verde as a perfect place for travellers on a budget needing a quiet place away from the nightclub noise yet just a short walk from the action. Thanks Douglas

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DouglasRoatan, Manager at Calico Mission House, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review Calico Mission House. Your compliments are well appreciated and you will be most welcome in the future!

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

Myself and a friend stayed here at the end of April. We had gotten very used to the $6 a night special, unfortunately, this does not exist on Roatan.... However, we found something even better!
Casa Verde is a lovely wooden "home" just down the road from the main west end strip...close enough to be convenient and far away enough to be quiet. We paid $40 per night which included 2 beds, a kitchen and a hot shower we shared with one other person. The room was spacious, airy, and the beds were probably the most comfortable i had come across in literally a month...
But, in a lot of ways, the real selling point of this place was Douglas. Although a little bit on the eccentric side, he was very friendly and genuinely cared about our experience while we were on the island.
He is also an amazing chef! on our first night he whipped us up a fresh lobster dinner, which included a fresh, homemade gazpacho with pretty much "right out of the sea" prawns, and dessert of warmed cinnamon bun and fresh pineapple. It was $20 a plate and honestly spectacular. And to top it off, Douglas was kind enough to take pictures of our dining experience and email them to us...:)
He was also very generous with his homemade lemonade, fresh squeezed OJ and coconuts from the trees on the property...over all it was an amazing end to an amazing trip!
Thank you Douglas and thank you Casa Verde!!

You're the best!
Kempele
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

We loved to stay at Casa Verde beach house hostel. It is located couple minutes walk from center which we liked because it was calm and peaceful place to stay. Rooms are big and own kitchen is very good to have. Our host Douglas was awesome. He did his best to make us feel comfortable. We were going to stay there only one week but ended up staying for two weeks because we simply loved the place and the hole island. We are dreaming to go back there later!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
DouglasRoatan, Manager at Calico Mission House, responded to this review, 24 January 2013
Thank you so much for the kind words. I will look forward to your next visit!
Murfreesboro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

This was a wonderful surprise lunch coordinated by my wife. While at a day stop in Roatan traveling via Carnival Cruise, my wife and I scheduled an excursion zip lining at South Shore Zip Line (which was unbelievable and highly recommended). The second part of the day my wife told me was a secret. We traveled over to Half Moon Bay where Doug, our host for the afternoon, met us and walk us over to the Casa Verde property. Not really knowing what was going on, Doug, my wife, and myself made small chat. Doug walked us through the quaint and well kept hotel to the back where he had prepared a table for two on the deck under the floral canopy. As we sat down Doug informed me that he had prepared a five course meal for us. The first dish was fresh Tuna Cakes perfectly prepared with the right mix of fish and spices. The second dish was teriyaki skeward shrip. This was then followed up by a fresh tomato, vegtable, and garbanzo bean salad. The main courses a broiled caribbean lobster tail, cooked to perfection, and pan seared tuna prepared cajun and sesame style. To top it all off Doug brought out fresh fuit for dessert which included a new item to my taste buds, an apple banana, that he had picked off a tree nearby. The entire meal was wonderful, Doug was an excellent host, and kudos to my wife for setting up the great experience. I typically do not write reviews, but do read them. If you have the opportunity for a lunch or dinner in Roatan, I highly recommend contacting Doug at the Casa Verde Beach House.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Congratulations! I have seen many pictures of your baby, nice work. I hope you make it back to Roatan soon.
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

I have known Douglas for several years now and have enjoyed everything he has ever prepared for me. He pays special attention to detail and always use fresh and local ingredients for all of his meals. He recently prepared a birthday dinner for my son and daughter-in-law when they were there spending the day while on a cruise ship stop. He prepared a 5 course meal back in February for them and they were so impressed with the food and service. I would recommend his restaraunt to everyone and can't wait to return and have another delicious meal.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Don D
You are too kind. I will be looking forward to the day you and your wife can make the journey back to Roatan. Thank you.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

After meeting Douglas at the beach area, we agreed to have him prepare a "gourmet" meal for us & our friends. Sad to say, we were very disappointed. Douglas who claimed to be an experienced chef promised a 4 course meal. We waited an extraordinary amount of time before receiving the first course of lobster, which was not served w/additional drawn butter despite being asked for by one of the guests. The second course was shrimp, which was served with soy sauce (gourmet?) And the third course was a "fish cake" which varied in texture and for some of us, was ground cooked fish balls. The sauce was a commercially prepared product (gourmet?) along with 1/2 baked potato with a smathering of butter & sour cream; cooked broccoli & carrots. When the dessert was presented, I was shocked as we discussed baked products from town & received a fruit concoction with candy sprinkled on it.
Douglas was not the same person we spoke with 2 times prior to the dinner as he was the evening of the dinner. It was an embarrassment to us. Save your $$

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
DouglasRoatan, Manager at Calico Mission House, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
I wish an apology could explain the circumstances surrounding your experience. Embarrassed is what I am and I won't wast words trying to explain the circumstances which lead to this colossal debacle. This was not the usual experience, I hope you will accept my sincerest apology and be aware that this was not normal for me or this place, as much as it pains me to admit, avoidable mistakes were made and recognized. In twenty five years this is the only less than excellent review ever received by me. Thank you for your candid review.

Douglas
STL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

If your looking for great food and a fun place to stay I highly recommend Casa Verda. Douglas the manger will work to make sure your stay will be enjoyable at this lovely hostel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Greg P
Thank you for posting. You were "too fun" as well. See you soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near West End
Splash Inn Dive Resort
Splash Inn Dive Resort
#1 of 7 in West End
Seagrape Plantation Resort

Been to Calico Mission House? Share your experiences!