“You HAVE to stay here.”
Review of Lands End

Lands End
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in West End
Reviewed 15 August 2012

After working in a city 7 days of the week and 20 hours a day going to Roatan is just what I need it. Lands End has a unique atmosphere that other hotels cant give you, FRONT OCEAN VIEW. Separated from the noisy town and the crowds this hotel gave me the perfect weekend I was looking for.
I went with my girlfriend to relax and isolate from the drinking and partying of the island. Dont waste your time with noisy hotels just to save some bucks, stay at Lands End and just relax.
The only thing I regret is not having more time to stay.

Room Tip: Get the second floor room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 July 2012

My boyfriend and I had a great stay at Lands End in the Gecko Room. The owner, Adi, was extremely helpful and even drove to the airport one day while we were scuba diving to arrange our return trip tickets for a small fee. We visited during the low season (May) so the grounds were very quiet while we were there. That was fine with us as we spent most of our trip scuba diving, and there was plenty of stuff to do within walking distance. Oh, and the breakfast was delicious (but not included in the price).

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dipika C
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We stayed in July and it was quiet, serene, relaxing, and comfortable. Adi is a wonderful host, will answer all your questions and give you advice on what to do, see, eat, and go. We stayed in the Coco room, 1st floor ocean view, it was clean, comfortable, and had an awesome view of the sea. Plus the AC is a must. Be careful when swimming in the ocean right out front as the dive boats/water taxis like to cruise by very close. Make sure to pet shipwreck the kitten and enjoy the deer as well. Overall an awesome place to stay

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
LandsEndResort, Manager at Lands End, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2012

thank you for staying at Lands End and also for your review. It was a pleasure to be your host. By the way, the pavement our side of Westend is finally finished and we have full road access again.

Reviewed 22 June 2012

Sunset yoga with Mike is wonderful, usually on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday nights at 5 pm. Really enjoyed hanging out at the bar with Brian.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Melinorway
LandsEndResort, General Manager at Lands End, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2012

thank you for your kind review. Mike returned to the US for the summer but will be back soon with yoga sessions on our ocean front deck. We will announce the come back of Yoga-Mike on our website and facebook page. Meanwhile we are open for yoga groups who have their own instructor. If you don't have one, we can help you find one on the island.

P.S. The pavement on our side of Westend is finally finished and we have full road access again. Being used to the beach road I have totally forgotten how much faster you can walk on pavement. Namaste!

Reviewed 18 June 2012

in short, i wouldn't stay there again.

pros:
- short walk to town
- free filtered water
- salt water infinite pool
- cute deers on premise
- friendly staff

cons:
- dirty rooms (large roach and other insects found in room, dusty and crusty walls and furniture not wiped down, residue of killed insects still on walls)
- uncomfortable beds with gritty, dirty linens
- rusty room fridge
- finicky a/c made for unpleasant sleep
- place seemed a bit runned-down with no immediate plan to upgrade (i.e., non-existent entryway into water for swimming, shore diving, snorkeling; broken steps into pool; holes in room ceiling and closet- read: bugs; part time kitchen and bar; limited ingredients at bar- no mojitos; roach found in the common bathroom)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank first l

I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay at Lands End.
We have been reading your review with great interest.

in short: we took all your comments seriously and put a plan to action.
Apologies for any inconvenience caused.
We are working hard to provide better quality as of now.

- cleanliness
we had an all-rooms inspection with all cleaning staff to identify problems and slack. all agreed to pay more attention to detail and promised to clean more thoroughly. On the management side we will incorporate more supervision and quality control.

- insects policy
Phase 1: we fumigate your room. If that does not help we go to phase 2: we have a contract with an exterminator who comes once every 3 months or any time we call him. Unfortunately keeping a place 100% bug free in Roatan ultimately also means killing the reef. This is not an excuse but a fact proven on other caribbean islands.

- uncomfortable beds and dirty linens
I am surprised. One thing we hear from many guests is that our beds are really comfortable. Lands End is one of the very few places in Westend, maybe Roatan that uses exclusively 1000TC egyptian cotton sheets. The main reason is the superior climate regulation. silk may be softer but is not recommendable in tropical climate. If your sheets are not ok, we change them.

- rusty room fridge
admittably, most of them show some rust spots here and there. sorry for that.
4 new fridges are on the shopping list. ETA: 1week August.

- finicky a/c
Obviously it was difficult to operate or it was malfunctioning. we are using mini split units made by York or Whisper Air, none of them older than 3 years. All units last service: June 2012. During the time of your stay I remember one AC problem being reported. We exchanged a faulty breaker, problem fixed within a day. For anything beyond our skills and for repair we can call in for help daily till 9pm.

- entryway ocean / broken ladder
as mentioned at the check-in orientation the ladder was broken by a storm and at repair during your stay. Turns out it took the welder longer than expected to fix and return it. Unfortunately not in time for you to enjoy. we apologize for the inconvenience. In the meantime the ladder is back, also the pool step is fixed.

- no immediate plan to upgrade...
We have changed and improved a lot in the last 5 years. However, only repeating customers are able to see changes and improvements year by year. since 2009 we have installed a generator, made the pool deeper and drain faster, built a new pool side deck, with lights, outlets and showers, built a new kitchen, renovated all rooms, parking lot beautification, etc. We just finished planters and flower areas in the entrance area.
Next on the list of our Immediate upgrade plan: The common bathroom.

- Restaurant
Open for dinner daily 15 December - 30 April.
1st May - 15th December open occasionally and by request.

Even in high season our Restaurant was more of a convenience / courtesy to our guests than anything else. It is simple: WE ARE LOCATED IN WESTEND, the area with the highest density of restaurants and bars in all of Roatan. The Westend strip starts 5 min walk from our gate. There is one bar and restaurant after the other, every minute you walk you pass 3 different places. Everybody goes downtown and eats at a different restaurant every evening - and rightfully so. The Westend strip is a fun place to play.

- Mojito & The Caribou Lou
Havanna club 3y Anejo, fresh mint, sugar, lime, club soda, 3 ice cubes, period.
Believe me, I am Mr. Mojito. Learned to love it in La Bodeguita Bar, Cuba.
Unfortunately most people dont know the cuban mojito and prefer white rum with too much sugar, too much lime, crashed ice and deadmashed mint or even MOJITO MIX.
HC3A unavailable in Roatan we imported a couple of cases and tried to serve the original, it didn't sell. Sorry, we refuse to serve faux mojitos. Have you tried our Creamsicle, Caribou Lou or the famous Monkey Lala?

I understand you are determined not to stay here again. However, if you come back to Roatan and can spare the time I would be happy to show you around. If you let me know ahead of time I will do my best to have HC3A and fresh mint at hand for a refreshing Mojito, on the house of course.

Adi

P.S. for all hotel guests everywhere: many things can be resolved immediately, some at least within the time of you stay, some solutions may take a little longer. The best way is to report any problem immediately with the management.

Reviewed 12 June 2012

The perfect distance from the restaurants, bars, and dive shops of the west end that also affords the perfect peace and quiet away from it all. The manager, Adi, was the ultimate host. He had a car waiting for me at the airport and was there to welcome me when I arrived at the hotel. He wa never to busy to answer questions or give advice to make the an awesome trip. Truly reasonable if not the most competitive rates for those not looking to spend an inordinate amount at a generic resort. Beautiful facility with an incredible view, salt water pool, and easy access to snorkeling. Breakfast and coffee every morning. I was only there a week, but I will be back!!! Thank you, Adi!!!

Room Tip: All depends if you want to be on the water or slightly recessed as it does make a difference in pric...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I first came to Roatan last November and chose Lands End based on a review on Trip Advisor. I was not disappointed...so much so that when I returned to Roatan a few months later in February, I chose to stay at Lands End again! Adi is a great host and the deer on the property were unbelievably friendly (they will eat fruit from your hand!). On my 2nd trip, they had put in a deck and it was beautiful. Location is great- quiet, but just a quick walk to town. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone going to the amazing island of Roatan!

Room Tip: Tucan room- a 2nd floor ocean front room with private balcony
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
#8 of 14 in West Bay
Paradise Beach Hotel
Paradise Beach Hotel
#4 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Lands End? Share your experiences!