“Location - Location - Location - But...”
Review of Lands End

Lands End
Ranked #3 of 13 West End B&B and Inns
Whistler
“Location - Location - Location - But...”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We spent 4 nights at lands End lodge in January.
The location is ideal:
-great ocean views and sunsets
-away from the rest of West End but only a 5 minute walk
- if you prefer a funky beach town to large hotels and crowded beaches then West End is for you - not West bay
The Staff are very good - Ryan seems to do everything and is very nice, Mike our chef was the best in town, Adi the manager can tell you what to do and where to go to do it.

The Buts:
- We did have an ocean front room, it was very spacious and comfortable, however the bathroom was quite dirty - walls in need of a good scrub or coat of paint.
-several lights in our room were burnt out but were never changed after we had mentioned this to Adi - I do understand island time but if your staff aren't there or busy - take over and solve the problem
-the room was very damp - a heated towel bar would solve the problem of wet towels - the towels do not dry on the balcony.
-when it is stormy the winds and rain you cannot sit in either the bar and dining area - installing plastic drop sheets would solve this problem.

Lands End lodge has the potential to be a great place with a little more attention to details and TLC.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WanderingCdns

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

I didn't stay at Lands End, but I did rent one of their awesome 4x4 Jeeps! I loved loved loved it! My partner and I explored the entire island and the Jeep was the perfect vehicle to do it in. If you're adventurous and like to do a little off-roading, I highly recommend renting a Jeep from Adi at Lands End. It was an amazing experience, and he is so helpful and knowledgeable of the island...I would do it again!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
us
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Lands End is perfectly situated on the oceanfront, just a 5 minute walk from the boisterous West Bay hotel & bar strip. If you are looking for a relaxing stay close to the main strip but away from all the noise, this is it. The owner, Adi, is wonderful. He's an Austrian expat who speaks Spanish and knows the island and the people of Roatan. The rooms are pristine and the views are just incredible. Your stay at Lands End includes a delicious breakfast that changes daily depending on the availability of ingredients (omelets, pancakes, and always fresh fruit). There is an outdoor bar on the ocean as well as an ocean-water pool that looks onto the water. Incredible. Everyone who works here is a pleasure to talk to and get advice from about the island. Adi rents a 4x4 jeep that is ideal for exploring the rougher terrain of the island. I highly recommend doing that for a day. Lands End is a real gem and Adi is consistently investing in the property to improve it and keep it amazing (he recently purchased new beds for the rooms!). I cannot say enough about Lands End. One of our friends missed her flight home and although Lands End was fully booked, Adi let her sleep on his couch! Now that is hospitality. If you are staying in West Bay, this is the by far the most luxurious (and affordable) place to stay. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean front room. The views are stunning.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank guernika
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We booked Lands End due to the many excellent TripAdvisor comments and the timely responses of the owner, Adi. I saw the beautiful pictures on the website and was sold. Well, those pictures and comments do not tell the whole story. I am 20 weeks pregnant and envisioned lazy days by the pool, lunch at their restaurant or in town, snorkeling off of their pier and the quick stroll to the local beach while my husband scuba dived and we spent nights in town. We ended up moving hotels because what is advertises was not at all how things appeared. It still has A LOT of work to do before they can charge the price they do. If I was paying less money, I would have no problem with the items under Cons below. Since it was a higher end "B&B", I assumed we should get what we were sold.

Pros:
- Really comfortable beds and linens in the Wahoo room (which is where we stayed)
- When the A/C was available, it would really work well!
- The typicos breakfast was great.
- Adi (owner) made me an excellent fruit plate upon a healthy snack request.
- The rooms were mostly clean.

Cons:
- The restaurant that they advertise was never open when were there. When we checked in, we were really hungry and were hoping to grab a bite to eat then head into town. A woman comes out and we ask for the menu and she says we do not have one and said she might be able to fix us something. We asked her what she has and she looked at us like we were crazy. We just walked into town and said forget about it. Not a great first impression.
- It's not exactly the shortest walk into town but it's not bad at all. About 12-15 minutes. However, it did rain most nights and we would have to run into town (through huge mud pits and in the complete dark as the lighting is very bad) to get anything to eat or drink. Bugs were really bad through the walk as well since it was a murkier, wet area and bugs are most attracted to that. Book something closer to town if you go in the rainy season.
- The showers were cold. We'd get a short spray of water for 20 seconds (scoulding hot) and then it would be back to cold water. Adi said it worked and demanded he show me it worked. It was scoulding hot for him (as we mentioned) but then went cold again. He never believed us even though many other customers complained about it. We had cold showers until we moved hotels.
- The pool came up to my ankle and was filled with crabs. I understand it is determined by the ocean but that is just ridiculous. Get a pump or something?
- In the Wahoo room, the door doesn't close tightly and bugs joined us all through the night and ate us alive.
- The view looking out of our ocean front room is beautiful... rocks and blue water. But looking down is a rocky trashy mess. They could really spiff up the area.
- There is a back up generator since the entire island's power goes out often apparently. The generator only has minimal things hooked up to it and A/C was not one of them. That was a bummer since our room price included A/C and is considered a luxury there.
- The common grounds could be beautiful with the deer...but they need to clean up the deer poop every once in a while. It really stinks. I also saw one of the women who worked there swatting at them which I didn't understand.
- The lights coming down the stairs and through the whole place generally do not work. Being pregnant, I was so nervous about slipping down the wet stairs, I'd go down very cautiously. I also never wanted to step on bugs or crabs or any other wildlife. Everything was dark at night and I wish someone would have told us that we need flashlights for the place. If you're going, bring a flash light!!
- Good luck getting down into the water via the pier they advertise. It is broken and filled with barnacles. It is quite dangerous and they need to replace it.
- Sometimes people were around for questions and sometimes they weren't.
- The breakfasts were not good with the exception of their typicos breakfast. One day, we got an untoasted bagel with warm cream cheese. It is my understanding that the ships bringing food to the island were backed up so there was a lack in food generally everywhere. We did not find this to be an issue at our second hotel.
- The bugs and mosquitoes basically eat you alive. Bring bug spray. Perhaps the hotel can add some bug zappers or citronella candles to help with that.
-Adi told me we would find a "beautiful beach" in Half Moon Bay (which you could walk 12-15 minutes to.) It was filled with trash, stray dogs and their excrements, very close to the road and was not nearly as nice as he claimed. I went to West Bay with the MUCH nicer beach every day via water taxi.
- You can't flush toilet paper. Kinda gross for us.

I would recommend that Lands End do some work to get their hotel at the value rate they are charging.

I also was not reimbursed for a single dime for the last three nights we did not stay there. We would not have had to move hotels if we had been given everything promised by Lands End. I understand they have to make profit and turned away guests that would have taken our room but they should have taken our concerns into consideration and done at least something to compensate for our losses.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank JessicaLayla
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 1 January 2014

This review is shockingly overdue, but I promised I'd join tripadvisor and leave a review behind after our stay. My friend and I rented the Venado room at Lands End for about two weeks, in July of 2013. We are both convinced we got the most beautiful spot for the most economical price. Lands End is a small "boutique" hotel, meaning it only has a handful of rooms. You won't be overrun by other tourists, and it's unlikely there will be a raucous party outside your door while you're trying to sleep. Our room was very large, bright, clean, and comfortable. It's pleasantly attractive, in a no-frills kind of way. One thing that would have improved the room would be a clothesline on the balcony or some hooks somewhere in the room. There really was nowhere to hang towels or bathing suits, and the wind kept blowing our beachwear off the balcony railing onto the rocky shores outside our room. Just a simple little suggestion to help out the next folks.

Anyway, the room was beautiful and had a phenomenal view directly out onto the ocean. And because of the curve of the shoreline, other hotels are mostly out of sight, and somewhat far away. It felt like we had an entire strip of shore JUST to ourselves. The saltwater infinity pool is to die for! Beautiful sunsets could be seen, just sitting in the pool, watching the ocean. The friendly bartender, Ryan, will bring you a drink in the pool, and you can snack up on the deck, even if you're dripping wet.

The manager, Adi, will make you feel like you're part of the family. The relaxed, welcoming, personal atmosphere is something I really enjoyed, and if you're laid-back, you will too. Just understand what you're getting yourself into. The Lands End seems to be catering to clientele who want something more comfortable than a hostel or budget hotel, but less stuffy and polished than a resort or luxury spa. What does that mean? Well, think of it as staying with relatives. They will try to make you comfortable, but they're not going to fall all over themselves to jump every time you snap your fingers. The whole place is run by just three or four people, so you'll really get to know them during your stay. They won't be nameless invisible folk who fix things for you like magic. You can expect internet problems (they're common all over the island, not just at Lands End). You might find that not every item on the breakfast menu is always available, but you might also get to go in the kitchen and learn how to make your own tortillas if you ask nicely. If little things like that are nuisances you cannot bear, you might want to choose somewhere more posh. But if you want truly stunning scenery, a friendly staff who will never beat around the bush, joke with you as if they've known you forever, and give you the honest truth about whatever you want to know, this place is for you. And for a pair of schoolteachers who don't make tons of money, we appreciated that we were able to score this kind of natural luxury without emptying our bank accounts. If you have a whole gaggle of small children, this might not be for you, as you will have to walk about ten or fifteen minutes to get to the sand beach. And I'm not sure a group of 20-year-olds on spring break will find it to be quite the all-out party atmosphere they might be hunting for.

But as your average single adult, traveling with friends, looking for a home base to my island adventure, I would not hesitate for one moment, to come back to Lands End.

Room Tip: Some rooms do not have A/C. Make sure you check!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Maria D
Kimberley, Canada
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Our 12 day stay at Lands End far exceeded our expectations. Our room was clean, spacious, and best of all had a view of the Caribbean and that wonderful breeze! We made sure that whatever we did during the day, we would be back every night for sunset. It was by far one of the best places to watch sunsets. The staff is warm, friendly and are among the few on the island that understand customer service. One of the best parts of the day was sitting down in the morning to breakfast which started off with a bowl of fresh fruit, and great Honduran coffee. We would not hesitate to recommend Lands End as one of the best places on the Island. Thanks to Ryan, Mercedes, Amanda, and of course to Adi who went above and beyond to make our stay a memorable one.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Just came back from our honeymoon and the feeling we have from Roatan is the excellent service we received at Lands End. Excellent location, service and food.
Also a really great place to relax and unwind.

We have to come back for sure!

Jose Navarro and wife!

Thanks for evertything :)

• Stayed December 2013
#7 of 7 in West End
Clarion Suites Roatan at Pineapple Villas
Seagrape Plantation Resort
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort

Been to Lands End? Share your experiences!