“Great Location”

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in West End
Tx
“Great Location”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We have been coming to Roatan for 10 years and have stayed all over the island. West End is a great little town and has ample things to do. Beautiful beach in Half Moon Bay, great restaurants, good nightlife(or should I say sunset life) and excellent diving right at your doorstep. Lands End is located in the best area of West End. Its out on a peninsula facing the ocean with endless views and best of all its quietly removed from the town by a hop, skip and a jump. Five minute walk and your in Half Moon Bay.
The resort is small and the front four rooms have amazing views. Each room has been recently updated and are comfortable and have plenty of room considering we spent all our time on the porch or socializing at the salt water pool or around their great little bar. Ryan was our bartender and was superb. Better yet, its one of the few places on the island you can an imported beer from Germany!
They also have six or seven deer that live on the property and are very friendly. Great to stop by for a sunset beer and see them.
We dove with a new dive operation located right on the beach in Half Moon Bay called Sun Divers. Top notch dive center and its so close. Loved waking up and having coffee on my porch, grabbing a quick breakfast and walking to the dive shop without any stress.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ctatx73

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Moved up to West End at the end of our trip. Where Land's Ends excels is:
- Its view (all you see from the bar and pool is the ocean)
- The deer - it was very cool to stay in the courtyard with the local deer
- The bar - Ryan keeps his bar immaculate and is on top of everyone's needs. Love the fact that you can get good German beer here

Where it's lacking:
- There wasn't much room to lay out clothes in the room - especially in the bathroom
- Maintanance: I was told that the ocean access ladder was down "after the last storm" but I heard from others that the ladder had been down for much longer. One of the rooms (not one where we stayed did not have a door knob (there was one sitting on the check-in desk); the towel hooks needed to be repaired; the latch to the deer courtyard needs to be fixed...

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms are excellent; all rooms are quiet
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Binghamton, New York
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My Husband & I have stayed in many types of Carribean places- from large compound like hotels with 9 restaurants to efficiency apartments and Land's End was the best combination of relaxation, views, food, good company, comfortable room, and snorkeling. One of the best vacations I can remember.
With approx 10 rooms the smaller setting means you get to know the staff well and they are friendly, relaxed and accomodating. Once we got settled in the room I found the room and the bed to be quite comfortable (beds rarely are), not modern,new or updated but comfortable and cleaned everyday.The common areas are relaxing & comfortable- a great place to hang during the day. Mikes's food at the restaurant is wonderful, reasonably priced-similar to other restaurants of good quality. You get a hearty breakfast everyday and it is a good time to meet other people (or not- you choose). We did meet wonderful people.
There are pet deer there and feeding them watermelon was entertaining in itself. The day before we left a new fawn was born that we got to see. They are friendly and smaller than the deer here- about the size of a large dog.
It was my 1st experience with a salt water pool which we both loved. The care and maintenance of it is different than a chlorinated pool, but well worth it. Plus you can climb into the ocean right there or a 3 minute walk takes you to gentle lapping sandy beaches with good snorkeling.
Location is perfect! Very close but just beyond the noise of West End and still easy to get to for the best choice of restaurants and entertainment. A water taxi can take you to West Bay if you are a beach/people watcher and the snorkeling there is awesome. We went a couple times for the snorkeling but I did not care for the crowds.
There were 3 nights of impromptu live music at the hotel- one of the guests, a local classical guitar player, and Adi, the Owner. I felt that Adi's professional musician background may attract other artistic people.
The money there is easy to figure out. Do bring cash- for ease and best deals. Credit cards are not the favorite and you won't know what the exchange rate will be until you get your statement.
Pack light- we over packed ....alot. Simple comfortable clothes. No need to dress up, bring jewelry or high heels. I felt safe there, but being too flashy may attract the wrong attention. Good common sense keeps you safe- just like anywhere you go.
Roatan had the best 'off the beach' snorkeling I have seen. Was able to do only 1 dive and it was fabulous! You need to go while the coral is still healthy. I saw too many beginner snorkelers standing on the coral! Or touching everything.
Land's End owner is progressive and continually improves the place. It is a wonderful place to stay .......just don't take my room.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Casey G
West Bay, Honduras
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I visit the bar and restaurant on a regular basis and recently stayed one night last week. I find this to be the perfect location for a quiet, peaceful stay while at the same time a short convenient walk from the hustle and bustle of the West End action. This is a small rustic little spot with breakfast provided in the morning and a great flexible food offering for lunch and dinner overlooking the salt water pool. The room appeared to have been updated recently and I had deer greeting me when I was going to and fro. The people I met there had been there the year before and were planning to book there again just as I will too.

Room Tip: The waterfront rooms are the way to go here for sure.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
San Clemente, California
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Loved staying in west end, stayed 3 years ago in June 2011 for our honeymoon. Room was spacious with an amazing view, super quick walk into town. Their pool was super nice, had a scare when I went to double check my confirmation the morning we were leaving wrong dates were listed- tried getting a hold of them day of but no answer. Apparently we just missed the complementary airport transfer and took a taxi in. Worked out fine in the end and we did receive an email while we were on our way in confirming our reservation. Unfortunately our air conditioner broke on our last night- pretty miserable night sleep, but there wasn't really anything that can be done in the middle of the night, we got a fan... The deer were cool.

Room Tip: TUCAN corner top room, great view
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
West Palm Beach
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed based on a recommendation from a local dive shop. Last trip I stayed at Cocolobo and loved it, but they didn't have the room I wanted so I decided to check out Lands End--literally next door to Cocolobo. Arrival was fine. I was notified that A/C in the room I had booked was acting a bit weird and I could move to a different room if I wanted. I decided to stay where I was. A/C worked o.k.--but dripped onto table below. I just placed a towel under it to catch the water drops. Cooled perfectly. The room needs better (more) lighting. The two light fixtures near the bed has fluorescent bulbs, but are covered in fabric, so they do not provide adequate light for reading or any detail work. The room was clean upon arrival (a Saturday). I guess there is no service on Sunday, as no one came to clean while I was out. On Monday, the room was cleaned, and done very well. A little communication on that front would have been helpful. I suspect that the electricity to power the A/C costs quite a bit, so it is puzzling that they would not fix the door to the patio--there are wide gaps that let in outdoor air. The screen is torn as well--letting in bugs--so the only option is to "hook" the door closed and run the A/C. If screen were solid, it might be possible to leave door open at night to get breeze--but not with bugs coming in. One positive: wi-fi is included and it works well. Easy to log-in with password provided and the signal is strong/stable.

Breakfast was served each morning in the restaurant area: food was good, freshly prepared. There are small deer living on the grounds: startling to see at first (when unexpected) but they are quite friendly and no bother. The infinity pool is saltwater pumped in from the ocean. It is fairly shallow (3'--maybe 4') and looks like it could stand to be cleaned/scrubbed.

When I booked, Adi handled the communication quickly/efficiently, including giving me a price for the stay in US $. He booked the first portion on my credit card when I made the reservation. When I arrived, David said he couldn't find any record of payment--I assured him my credit card had been charged, then he looked through the box and found it. He then charged me for the remainder of the stay when I checked in. Later, when I checked online and added the two totals I was charged, I learned I had been charged $37.90 more than quoted. My card does not add any foreign exchange/transaction fees, so the charge should have been what I was quoted. I'll need to do a bit of research to get that one fixed. Adi, unfortunately, is out of the country.

All of that said, I think this place could be great. It needs a bit of sprucing up and tending to--some things could be brought back to their original working order (like screens, doors closing solidly, the pool getting a bit of a facelift). As for the basics: they provide a clean, comfortable room and a quiet setting within walking distance of the West End. I would not hesitate to recommend Lands End to a friend, and I would stay again on a repeat visit.

Room Tip: Several rooms (such as Wahoo) face the ocean and have a balcony and hammock. These are all depicted...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 31 May 2014

If you want to get away from the noise and crowds, this is the place. it is right on the water, with nicely appointed rooms. A small herd of miniature deer grace the property. The oceanfront bar and restaurant has really good food, and the American chef prepared vegetarian dishes just for us. The bartender was American, too. The owner is European, who was out of town the week we were there, but his substitute was absolutely outstanding in terms of customer service. We are middle age and I liked the fact that the other guests were also middle age, at least the week we were there. Perhaps for this reason they played classic rock at the bar, at a moderate volume.

The salt-water swimming pool is in between the ocean and the bar, and is filled from the ocean when the tide is up. You can go snorkeling off the dock, but when it is wavy it is a little treacherous getting in and out.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Splash Inn Dive Resort
Splash Inn Dive Resort
#2 of 8 in West End
Seagrape Plantation Resort

Been to Lands End? Share your experiences!