“Great hospitality!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West End
Mame Tree Bungalows
Durham, NC
“Great hospitality!”
Reviewed 23 December 2012

We just returned from a week on Roatan and we loved Mame Tree Bungalows! Excellent location on Half Moon Bay where you can walk to everything. Adam, the owner, was super helpful and friendly. Picked us up from the airport and was always available to answer questions about things to do, etc. Even invited us for some of his Real McCoy stew - an awesome local dish with coconut, plantains, etc. The grounds are nicely landscaped, really just can't say enough good things about Mame Trees!! Highly recommended!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Dumaguete City, Philippines
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I arrived at Mame Tree Bungalows & was greeted by Adam. He said he did not have a reservation for me that I reserved on 11/1/2012. At that time, Adam requested 50% deposit. I returned the form with my credit card information & printed the invoice. I had reserved the Mame Room for a total of 21 nights, dating from 12/1/2012 to 12/22/2012.
After all of the traveling that I had done, I was exhausted & could not believe he did not have the reservation. He stated that he could put me in a more expensive room for that evening & that I would only have to pay for the room rate that I had reserved. That night was a bad experience which included dogs barking all night, roosters crowing from about 0100am & I was unable to get any sleep. The next day, I was unable to located Adam. So the dive shop that I was using invited me to stay at their house for the night. The next morning, when I finally found Adam, I told him that I did not want to stay there because of the excess noise. He said that he would have to charge me the full price of the more expensive room for two nights. I asked him for the money & he said he couldn't give it to me now because he had to go to the bank. He said he would give it to me at the dive shop. Now, two days later, I have not received my refund or any communication about it from Adam. I paid for 3 weeks ahead on the night of my arrival and do not have enough money to stay at another place or dive. My vacation has been totally ruined and now I have to try to get money somehow to change my return flight date.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank moo911
Mametrees, Manager at Mame Tree Bungalows, responded to this review, 26 December 2012
I am the manager at mametrees and i have to say we have never experience a guest like this one, She booked the Mameroom with us then sent an email stating she couldn't make it and would get back to me.
So i never held the room. Then she shows up without emailing me , i already booked the mameroom, so we check her into the Moroccan bungalow, She said she loved the place and wanted to stay there instead. I had already booked her for the 21 nights. the next day i went to look for her to see how she was doing and i couldn't find her the whole day, i ask the watchmen if he saw her, he said she left early in the morning without saying a word to him, my grandmother who lives on the property and me and my wife who also live on the property NEVER HEARD FROM HER, I asked the dive shop she was diving in and they told me she left the Morrocan bungalow very early and came to stay by them so I ask them what she wanted to do, She returned the next day and said it was too noisy and she couldn't sleep, but Mametrees was full with guest and i ask them if it was noisy and they told me no, everything was fine. She then told me how much would i charge her for the time she stayed, i already charged her for 21 nights, which was on her original trip, which on the disclaimer there is no refund after you check in, but i still gave her back all her money and just charged for the 2 nights that she used the moroccan bungalow. She told me that would me fine and thank me for everything. I never though she would leave a bad comment about us on trip advisor cause everything had seem fine. She also went diving with enomis divers and at the end of a few weeks, after diving almost everyday, she also demanded her money back from them, So i want everyone who reads this to no that the comment she gave us is not the kind of customer service we deliver at mametrees. please take the opportunity to read the other comments on trip advisor because we love to accommodate and treat our guest great in Paradise. Thank you for listening.
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 17 September 2012

My fiance and I stayed at the Mame Trees for a recent visit. Adam and Anita were the most amazing hosts we have ever had. They picked us up from the airport and even helped us go grocery shopping on the cheap at the local supermarkets. Showed us the island hot spots. They made us feel like family. Can not wait to go back and visit them!

Room Tip: We were in the Mame tree room but the breeze and Moroccan also looked beautiful when we checked them...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 August 2012

There is simply not enough space on TripAdvisor for me to rave about Mame Tree Bungalows. Here are the essentials:

We traveled as a couple with the goal of getting sun and open water certified, and stayed in the Breeze Room from July 21-28. The room was very clean (I'm extremely particular about cleanliness), well decorated, and the bathroom was the nicest we saw on the island. The room has a small fridge for all the essentials, a nice-sized deck that is ideal for evening drinks, and a large closet. It is a great choice for a couple. The maid did a wonderful job, and was even courteous enough to remove her shoes before entering the room.

The grounds are really gorgeous, and it is clear that the owners, Adam and Anita Santos, put a lot of effort into the landscape and design. Whenever we walked the property, the groundsmen were constantly working to maintain it.  At night, the groundsmen double as security guards, and are extremely vigilant.  When we would leave or return, we triggered the motion light, and they would check to make sure they knew who was on the property.  These guys work two day shifts and work very hard - definitely let them know they are appreciated!!

The location is ideal; it is directly across the street from the beach and on the main strip, so you can walk to all of the bars, restaurants and dive shops. The bungalows are set up on a small hill so you're removed from the noise. The island is unpretentious, laid-back, and not Americanized - we loved it and agreed that it was probably our favorite beach vacation yet!!

We spoke to other couples we met on the island, and it was clear that Mame Tree offered the best all-around accommodations for the price range.

What sets Mame Tree apart from the rest of the competition (if you can even call it that) is the level of hospitality you will receive. Adam was out of town during our stay so his father, Martin, traveled from New York to help out. I can't say enough about Martin; he's a great guy, and really went out of his way and well beyond anything expected, to make our trip special. He took us to Coxen Hole for groceries (much cheaper there), gave us a tour of the island, drove us to the airport, and constantly offered us suggestions. When the island lost power, he made sure the generator was running. And, when the power was restored, he was at our door within less than five minutes to make sure the AC was pumping. Martin, Anita and Clint invited is into their home for two spectacular meals, which were easily the best we had on the island.  Clint's cooking is in a league of its own - the guy is talented. I could go on and on...

For reference, I am somewhat of a travel junkie. I've stayed in everything from hostels in the Middle East to villas in the South of France, and can easily say that Mame Trees stands apart. Beautiful grounds, excellent location, top notch staff, and simply THE BEST hospitality around.  Just book it - you won't be disappointed. We would go back in a heartbeat!!

• Stayed July 2012
Oak Hill
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I can't say enough about Martin Santos, Anita, Clint and everybody at Mame Trees. Martin particularly went out of his way to make our stay as wonderful as could be. He drove us to the grocery store, fed us (which I will talk about more later), and provided pleasant conversation and advice for our entire stay.

As for the resort. Me and my girlfriend absolutely loved it. We stayed in the Breeze Room. The room was clean, the scenery beautiful, the walkway's lit, and the security guards and cleaning lady were top notch. It was close to everything but a bit removed from the street, but still had a view of the water.

My girlfriend was particularly happy with the bathroom. It was large and cleaned every other day, and we got a fresh set of towels (as well as linens).

Let me return to the hospitality provided by Martin, Anita, and Clint. They twice cooked for us, and both meals were better than anywhere we ate on the island, and that is saying something. They invited us into their home and made us feel like we were part of the family.

Clint did the cooking and man can he cook. The first time he made us bbq chicken and the last time we had a local stew called maccoy (sp?). The stew was absolutely fantastic, and not something you just put together. Clint (particularly) and the rest of the family spent the day putting it together for us. They had to go buy the ingredients. Clint peeled and drain the coconut as well as prepared the stew which (to be done right had) to cook for over 2 hours. They did this all on their own. Words cannot say enough to how generous and wonderful each and everyone of them were.

The best compliment I can give is that if (or should I say when) I go back, I will be staying again at Mame Trees Bungalows.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jlonjones
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed 28 March 2012

This was our second stay at Mame Tree Bungalows in West End. Many thanks to Adam and Tonya for providing superb service and lodging while we stayed in the Moroccan bungalow last week. The room was very clean, everything was in perfect working condition, and the air conditioning was a blessing. They even provided us with a coffee percolator so we could relax on the porch in the morning with coffee before going diving. Although it was unnecessary, they even changed the linens every couple of days.

I love this place since it is close to the heart of West End, yet far enough above the street to remain quiet. Now that I am back home, I realize how much I miss that awesome hammock swinging on the porch overlooking the bay!!

I definitely recommend that people stay here. It is very economical to make your own breakfasts and even reheat the leftovers from dinner the previous night.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Montevideo, Uruguay
Reviewed 10 March 2012

My wife and I stayed in the Breeze Room for 2 weeks. Tanya and Adam were great. Anything we needed was provided. The room was very clean. A maid comes every 2 days.

Air conditioner, flat screen TV, mini fridge, hot water, good water pressure. Very comfortable.

We hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Splash Inn Dive Resort
Splash Inn Dive Resort
#2 of 7 in West End
Seagrape Plantation Resort

Been to Mame Tree Bungalows? Share your experiences!