“Not too impressed, I would not go back.”

Sueno Del Mar Resort
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in West End
Reviewed 9 July 2011

I stayed at Sueno del Mar for over a week. I had booked before through a free agency on the island.

First of all, we were supposed to be picked up by the hotel at the airport when we arrived in Roatan. We waited for over one hour and nobody showed up, so we had to take a cab and got ripped off since we had no idea about the prices on the island. When we got to the hotel, the receptionist was busy talking to someone else, did not greet us and really made us feel unwelcomed. We explained the situation about the shuttle, and she said sorry. That was it.

The room was nice, we had a balcony with a gorgeous view of the sea. We had AC, the bathroom was clean. However, when we arrived, the sink was full of little ants that I had to kill with some insect repellent. We were supposed to have a coffee machine and never got it, and on the first night, my sheets were not clean (sand, hair!!!!).

We were told that we could do unlimited snorkeling, we just had to go along with the divers on the boat. The boat was supposed to leave every day at 8h30 and 11h. We got there 30min in advance, as we had been told. We ended up waiting for 1.5 hour, which I would not have minded that much if it had been worth the wait. We had been told by the owner that we would go to a place good for both divers and snorkeler. However, the place was only meant for divers because the reef was very deep, we could see the fish only from very far above. At least we had a nice swim....

Breakfast was included. The coffee was good, the breakfast made to order was good too, although I could have had a little more. We were not asked if we had enough or anything, so we felt kind of bad asking for more. But maybe it's just us. The only fruits available every morning were 5-6 small pieces of oranges.

The wireless Internet did not work 80% of the time, and I really needed to use it. So I was not too happy about that either.

The good thing was that we could borrow the snorkeling gear and the kayaks as often as we wanted.

The room was cleaned every day and that was nice. But just before I left I noticed that some treats that I had brought with me had disappeared. I like to think that I threw them away by mistake (!!!!!).

I paid more because of the internet, the snorkeling trips, the coffee maker, the supposedly super-friendly staff, and all of the above ended up being nonexistent. Overall, too many things went wrong for me to say that I liked the hotel or that I would go back again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank claudz009

Reviewed 9 July 2011

I had a very pleasant stay at Sueno Del Mar. the room was great and the view was unbeatable. Picture perfect sunsets, great diving all on premises.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Great location, fabulous diving, wonderful staff. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat. ,

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 May 2011

The hotel manager (Ray Lopez) is undoubtedly one of the nicest people you can meet as everyone that has gone there will confirm. I stayed at one of his other accommodations in West End Bay, seriously good rates, an open planned bedsit type accommodation in a two storey wooden built building, rustic and perfect for a lone traveller as I was, it had everything I needed, shower/wc, kitchenette with electric hob, not that I used it as the local cuisine was just delish......Mmmm, sheets/towels regularly changed, room cleaned. Ray also offers a "laundry wash" facility as do other places in town at reasonable rates that offer a good service I thought. This place is so cool for so many different reasons, you've got great diving/snorkeling that Ray offers at seriously good prices plus other dive operators in town, a very relaxed town ambience from shop keepers to restaurants and beach bars, gotta go to "Sundowners bar" on the beach where they have "Happy hour" most days from 5pm to 7pm if I remember correctly..!! ask Sony at the bar for a "slap n tickle" you wont be disappointed, other bars also have the happy hours at staggered times,one or two having live bands which do crank it up giving that "holiday grooving feeling".
There's a Catamaran (38ish ft) moored up in Half Moon Bay West End that goes daily I believe to Utila the neighbouring Island for $100 ish return, takes several passengers taking a few hours each way and is meant to be pretty cool.
People from other parts of the island call West End Bay, the "Hippy" part of the island, it's purely because it's sooooo chilled out and laid back. You can also go along the coast to "West Bay" approx 3 miles, a really nice walk or water taxi ride (a whole $3). totally different place in the sense that it's got a couple of large complex's that provide the holiday package if you like that sort of thing. Having done extensive travelling across South/Central America and the Carribean, I highly recommend this location and of course all of Ray Lopez's services for all, whether single, a couple, retired, group of guys/girls, you will NOT be disappointed. One NOT to be missed for sure, Enjoy.

Room Tip: Ray Lopez will sort rooms, you'll be fine
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Johnnybj
Reviewed 10 May 2011

I really enjoyed staying here. The dive shop was right next door so you could go back to your room and relax between dives. Everyone was so friendly and the hotel was right on the beach with amazing views.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 May 2011

Ray you and your staff rock! Sueno has it all for divers, great location close to all the dive sites and the action in the West End! Tita's Pink Seahorse can satisfy your thirst and appetite and it's right on Sueno's beach!

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank Billyfry
Reviewed 3 May 2011

April 24th-30th,2011 :

Roatan is a true divers Paradise and Sueno Del Mar has the full package ! An incredible dive shop full of all the necessities every accessory possible for YOUR dive trip with an incredibly personable team ! It's like you have your own personal dive master because there was never more that two other diver diving with us at one time, while on our adventures underwater !

The rooms were large and extremely clean, with maid service every day ( fresh towels, clean sheets, a/c, refridge, free wi/fi, hammock on the balcony, free breakfast every day) !!!

I want to thank Ray (the owner for 20+ years) for his hospitality and the whole crew in the dive shop and boat ! This was a vacation I will always treasure, ...until I return and do it again !!!

Room Tip: *All rooms are Ocean Front ! ...AAAA++++
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
#1 of 9 in West End
Foster's West Bay
Foster's West Bay
#8 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Sueno Del Mar Resort? Share your experiences!