“Incredible experience!”

Sueno Del Mar Resort
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in West End
Reviewed 12 January 2009

I can't say enough about how good this operation was run.

I came over to Roatan after abandoning my paid all-inclusive resort on the mainland to see the famous reefs of Roatan and get certified. I had been staying across the street from Sueno del Mar and noticed a sign out front advertising a four night stay that included full certification for $350each for a pair or $450 for a single (It's usually around $300 just to get certified!!!) . I took a chance and checked in.

The rooms are a bit small, but are spotless with full modern climate control and big comfortable beds. They are certainly designed with divers in mind, as the showers have places to hang wetsuits and boots and such. You also get your own dive locker for gear. The rooms are about ten metres (40feet) from the ocean and all give a spectacular view of the ocean and harbour.

The staff could not have been more helpful. Since ABMs are pretty unreliable, the owner actually got me some money himself to walk around with and arranged a cab to come drive me across the island on Christmas morning because I had to change travel arrangements. They are so cool and really care about the hotel and guests, that it feels more like you're an invited guest at a family cottage than a paying customer.

As far as diving goes, they have superior staff! My instructor was a South African divemaster who had logged more than 7,000 dives!!! Both Willy and Arturo knew the reefs like the back of thier hands and showed me the hidden worlds of creatures I couldn't see even a foot or two in front of me. They also truly care about their work and made sure that I had a mindblowing dive every time. The largest group I dove with was about four other people. I was given unlimited diving opportunities and managed to squeeze in two or three a day.

This resort is extremely laid back and quiet and a little on the edge of the West End strip, but it's only a two minute walk until you're in the main stretch, and about ten minutes to walk the entire length of town. This place is truly paradise and the best vacation I xould have imagined. Please message me for any tips about staying in the West End, and seriously consider staying and training (or just plain diving) in this wonderful place.

My room had a beautiful white terrace that backed out onto the beach volleyball court and was steps to the very private patio bar around the corner. They live to help you here so don't think twice, stay here!!!!

PS; Did I metion Noel? The smoking hot tall, blonde California girl divemaster? You'll know her when you see her. I had to force myself to remember to breathe when I was underwater. Bon Voyage!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
7  Thank deadeadbodies
There are newer reviews for Sueno Del Mar Resort

Reviewed 14 May 2008

We have been to Roatan twice before. Its the first time we stayed in the West End , and we loved it . Its really laid back , nothing fancy.. We loved Sueno del Mar. The rooms are very roomy and clean .The bed was a bit hard but that was not a problem. The dive shop is located in the hotel .You go down the steps, thru the dive shop and walk about fifty feet to the dive boat. The diving was great. Vis was 100 ft plus. We saw several turtles and lots of fish . There are about twenty restrants within walking distance.The food is very good and reasonable priced.
We will return Gene and Suzie

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2007

This is a small dive resort that provides excellent dive service and accomodations. . There are only a few rooms on the premisis above the dive shop, just steps from the dock and dive boat. The rooms all have AC and balconies overlooking the Caribe. Marvin the divemaster and Arturo the dive instructor offer dive service making you feel like you are part of the family. The administrative staff headed by Ray Lopez with Dave and Elsie are excellent. They made my non-diving 75+ yr old parents feel right at home. In many dives, I was the only diver with the divemaster, with the choice of the dive site and profile at my discreation. I have dived with Sueno del Mar many times in the past and will continue to dive with Ray and company.

Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed 11 July 2007

What a great place. I do agree that things happen slowly in Roatan and Sueno was obviously going through some changes at the time we stayed. Even with that going on it did not hinder Suenos wonderful accomodation and service. Our room was very nice and clean. They had some champagne waiting for us and a lovely little fruit basket. The shower was nice and big, but the bathroom could use some style. We had a wonderful room on the second floor overlooking the beautiful ocean where they had a hammock attached for our relaxation. The bed was soft and comfortable which has always been important to me and such a deal breaker if hard and lumpy. We had stayed a week with them and had planned to get open water certified through their dive shop. Wow!!! What a great experience that was. Jamie from Divers At Play was so good to us. Very professional and kind. So much positive re-inforcement during our challenging underwater drills. Their equipment was well taken care of and Marvin was so attentive making sure everything fit perfectly. Jamie was so wonderful and caring my husband and I affectionalty nicknamed him Papabear. I really recommend this place to anyone who wants to stay at West End and wants something close enough to walk to everything at but far away enough from all the noise. I know when they are finished building, it will look soooo beautiful.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cranebirds
Reviewed 8 May 2007

The atmosphere here is one of relaxed familiarity. After less than a day there my boyfriend and I were on a first name basis with all the staff. Not that we were special, that's just the way it is there...once you check in your'e one of the gang. The dive shop and dive boats that operate out of the hotel couldn't have been more convenient. Equipment on site to rent and purchase, flexible boat schedules to accomodate the guests, and an endless array of choices for nearby dive sites. The staff, with Ray acting as point man, always had helpful information, tips and recommendations. One thing in particular-he made reservations for us to do the dolphin dive at nearby Anthony's Key and had the hotel's van take us there. It turned out to be one of the many highlights of our trip. Location wise, we thought it was great. It's right on the edge of the main strip in West End. A short walk or kayak trip and you're in the middle of town; a 2 dollar panga ride and you're in West Bay. The hotel has it's own strip of beach with beach chairs, a vollyeball court and kayaks. The rooms are airconditioned and have either a patio or a porch, and come with mini-fridges and coffee maker.

We truly enjoyed our experience there. We weren't just nameless faceless tourists, but instead, long distance friends there for a visit. So if you go, tell the gang we said hi. And when you're out lounging on the beach make sure you give Duke the resident mascot a pat on the head from us.

Lauren and John
Los Angeles, CA

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank saucy_georgia
Reviewed 17 April 2007

Sueno Del Mar has the potential to be a great smaller resort, but some work is needed to accomplish it. The island was experiencing rolling black outs every day and was supposed to continue. That means that when the power is out, there is also no water at Sueno. Some of the other resorts have back up generator systems that solves this problem, but Ray is in the process of getting a generator. Nothing happens very fast in Roatan.
There is construction at the resort that will increase the number of rooms to 16 and add a snack bar area. Potiential shines again.
The existing rooms are nice and comfortable until the power goes out at random times. With no windows, it makes for a warm room.
The dive operation has 3 dive boats. Again the potential for a good operation. One problem is that their large boat is dry docked on the beach blocking the view from two of the ground level rooms. It has been there at least 1 year and looks like it will be there at least another year. The other main dive boat is small and cramped with many of the dives too crowded for comfort.
Ray, the owner is a nice guy and is most always available. I hope that he can see the potential in Sueno Del Mar.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank wallydiver
Reviewed 5 February 2007

This is a great place for those looking for a dive holiday in Roatan. The rooms were clean and well furnished (including mini-fridge and airconditioning). The staff were super and very accomodating. The hotel is right on the water and the dive shop is attached so it is ideal for divers. It probably isn't great for non-divers as, although it has a great sandy beach, there were biting insects in the sand that made it uncomfortable to lay on the beach without repellant (which was also true for all of West End and maybe all of Roatan). For divers though, I would highly recommend it. The divemasters and hotel staff were all very professional, friendly and helpful. There is no restaurant in the hotel, but there are numerous restaurants an easy walk from the hotel. There were some cold drinks and snacks available in the diveshop. There are only 8 rooms and most of the guests were divers so you get to know the other guests fairly easily.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled solo
#8 of 14 in West Bay
Splash Inn Dive Resort
Splash Inn Dive Resort
#2 of 9 in West End

Been to Sueno Del Mar Resort? Share your experiences!