“Nice place located on the sea side coast of the West End”

Posada Las Orquideas
Ranked #7 of 13 West End B&B and Inns
St. Catharines, Canada
“Nice place located on the sea side coast of the West End”
Reviewed 6 January 2013

A 3 night stop with Intrepid tours. Nice place to stay, except for part of muddy access road to the Hotel. Walking distance to local restaurants. However, a better and nicer beach is on West coast that took about 45 min. walk, thru West End village and followed by the seaside. The restaurants on West coast were plentiful and better. Boats are easy available for $3 pp and took just 15 min.

Room Tip: Quite place, only sound of waves. Rooms are spacious with beautiful wooden floors.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Lafayette,CO
Reviewed 29 November 2012

We stayed at Orquieadas in June this year and liked it so much that we stayed our whole time on Roatan except for one day on the other side of the island at Camp Bay. Took a couple day excursion to Utila and came right back here for the rest of our trip. We loved the cross breeze off the water at night and the ceiling fans were so good that we didn't even bother with the optional A/C upgrade. The Deck out back is really cool, it has a swim ladder and a covered area where they hang hammocks. We spent a couple afternoons hanging out back there soaking up the atmosphere and jumping into the water. I had my laundry done by the maids during my stay for a couple bucks, a really nice treat, way better to travel home with a pack full of clean clothes! The walk from the hotel to West End was quick,5 minutes tops, and kinda of fun each morning as we head into town for our coffee and saw the whole town come to life for the day.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Hackeesac
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We booked this place after somebody recommended it to us and it was totally worth it. We had a corner room with Ocean view. It was very nice and quiet, very helpful staff. It is close to Woody's - the biggest grocery store in west end, and it is within minutes of a bunch of good restaurants and some of the local hang outs. We went snorkeling right behind the hotel, but we mostly went to the beach at the sister hotel, which was only a 5-minute walk away.

Room Tip: ask for the ocean view rooms.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank cityroamer30
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I enjoyed my stay at Posada Las Orquideas and I am glad I chose to stay there. When I arrived in Roatan during the off-season, I initially looked at a room at Posada Arco Iris, but I preferred the better rate and quieter location of Las Orquideas. The rooms have balconies with a wonderful east-facing view of the inlet. The hammocks are inviting, the balconies are spacious, and all have table and chairs to relax outside. I decided not to opt for air conditioning, which was a good choice since the breeze and the shade from the balcony was enough to stay cool.

All of this said, the location is a short walk from the center of town -- for some this is a positive, for others who are more into the party-scene it is most definitely a negative. The road in the West End of Roatan is in a perpetual state of repair and disrepair, this undoubtedly becomes a greater challenge not only in the dark, but also during the rainy season. There are not a lot of food options in this part of the West End, so it is very helpful to have refrigerators and kitchenettes available. Also there were several comments from other reviewers about the staff, while I did find them very helpful for small requests, it should be noted that Honduras in general does not have a "customer-oriented" culture that visitors accustomed to travel elsewhere in the Caribbean often expect. I was disappointed that one day my room was not attended to by the cleaning staff, which can pose problems in a tropical climate and especially when you are expected to place toilet paper in the waste bin and not the toilet. Also the lack of mattress pad and pillow covers/protectors made me cringe a bit, especially when I noticed how stained the pillows were.

I visited the property during the low season and at a time when there were not a lot of guests. I enjoyed my stay, but I am not sure how much I would enjoy my stay if there were more traffic on the property. The balconies are great to chill and relax, but because they are so open, I am not so sure how enjoyable the hotel would be if it were booked at or near capacity.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Sarava70
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Reviewed 8 April 2012

We found this property via an online search. They were responsive and prompt in making the reservation. At first, I tried to get a room at their other property (Arco Iris) nearer the beach, but looking back I am very happy that I wound up at the Orquideas. It is only a 5 minute walk to the beach, you can use the beach chairs, kayaks, bar, etc at the Iris and it is quiet! The Iris is a great property also, but for our family we liked to get away from the main action at the end of the day. The rooms are very clean and tastefully decorated. The only thing lacking in the room was a table and chairs, which is why I am rating them very good instead of excellent. Also, there is no management present during the night (just a watchman). We could have used a little help dealing with loud neighbors one night. The AC costs $15 extra and is very effective, but you hardly need it because you should be on the beach during the hot part of the day and between the breeze and the fans the nights are fairly comfortable. We sprung for it on our last night only. Also, uy the big jug of drinking water for your room upon check in. Would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: corner rooms have best ventilation top floor is more quiet
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank ET2020
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 27 March 2012

we did love this place, the rooms are lovely with great views and plenty of space... stay here but be mindful, when we were there the access was really REALLY terrible. the road has been dug up and dug up and dug up, its muddy and slippery and pretty ordinary. so be mindful of this, maybe take gumboots and a torch for night... its a five star otherwise.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AndyrooMac
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Someone in the West End told my husband and me about this hotel when we arrived in town and didn't like what we initially saw in the hotels there. We were in Roatan to dive, and we generally rise with the sun and like to get to sleep early after relaxing with a cool drink, so when we saw Posada las Orquideas, we immediately knew it was perfect for us. A short walk from the town center, it's located in a serene and beautiful setting. Every room has a patio or balcony (with hammock) facing the water. We stayed in room 14 (the best one due to its extra window for increased ventilation and third floor view of the water.) In March, we didn't need any AC (it costs extra) but during a summer trip the roof gets pretty hot so I would budget extra if your trip is during the very hot season. The room rates are incredibly reasonable, but if you are on a tight budget, or you don't feel like going into town for every meal, get a room with a kitchenette (which has a coffee maker, gas stove, mini fridge, sink, pots and utensils, and dishes for three.) Stock up on food and mixers for rum drinks at Woody's. There's free wireless but it doesn't always reach to the rooms, so we had to sit on the stairs to check our e-mail, but it's not really too much of an inconvenience. There is another hotel (Posada Arco Iris) close to town that has beach chairs and kayaks available for free for guests of both hotels. The staff has always been friendly and welcoming. We had no trouble contacting the owner regarding reservations (we e-mailed her directly). If you want a relaxed and quiet setting, reasonable rates, and don't mind being out of the town center, then this is the right place for you. My only negative comment is that the room could use a small table for late dinners when mosquitos drove us indoors. But we will continue to book rooms at Posada las Orquideas for all our visits to the West End.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor get a better water view, and #14 is the best because it's on the corner...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Lands End
Lands End
#3 of 13 in West End
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort

Been to Posada Las Orquideas? Share your experiences!