“Terrible people, OK room.”

Posada Las Orquideas
Ranked #6 of 12 West End B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I was greeted at Posada Las Orquideas by an unsmiling girl at reception. She showed me a room on the second floor and when I said I'd stay for 10 days, she told me that the room was only available for 4 days, but after that I could move to a studio which cost $5 more. I visited in May during the low season and the place seemed empty. A wall in reception was covered with keys and a sign declared a special promotion: Room $30, Studio $35. I didn't want a studio and when I asked if I could have one at the price of a room given the length of my stay, she told me that they were very full. She pointed to the keys on the wall and said that all those rooms were taken, and furthermore, they were expecting a large group soon. Nevertheless, I persisted. I repeated that I didn't want a studio, wouldn't use the kitchen, could I please have it at the price of a room. She looked at me for a while, talked on the phone, then told me that she had a room for me.

She showed me a room on the 1st floor and said I could have it for the duration of my stay. I preferred the room on the 2nd floor and when I asked if I could have that one and then move to the 1st floor, she said that they didn't want me to move. I asked if she had anything else higher up and she said that the only other room available was a studio for $41. I was tired and sleep deprived so I decided to stay for a night. I trekked over town but didn't see anything I liked so I swallowed my annoyance and stayed. Besides me there were only 2 other people staying there and the large group never materialized.

I do not like being lied to or scammed, and given that the staff were all unsmiling and unfriendly, I don't have a high opinion of Posada Las Orquideas.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank BumblebeeNY

Reviewed 7 May 2013

We stayed at the top floor in a sunny, clean room. It was great having our own kitchen to cook in and it is walking distance from West End, but still far enough to be quiet in the evenings. You also get the sunrise in the morning on the balcony. The water in the shower was not always warm, but when you spend the day in the sea and it is warm everywhere else it doesn't really matter.

Room Tip: All rooms have a nice view, but 2nd or third floor obviously are nicer.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LavenderLemon
Reviewed 7 May 2013

my wife and i just spent a week in roatan. as is our usual practice when visiting places we know nothing about firsthand, we booked ourselves into posada las orquideas only for a few days. but after feeling satisfied that we would not be as happy elsewhere, we arranged to spend the rest of our trip at the posada las orquideas. to our surprise, the folks who run orquideas and its sister hotel posada arco iris, gave us a steep discount, unasked, when we told them we'd like to stay the rest of the week there. other reviewers describe well the hotel. we have nothing to add other than to reinforce the convenience of its location next to the seagrape dive shop, which we loved, and that the road is fine and lovely to walk down to get to west end. it's very close, yet still nicely outside of town. also, you'll read lots of stories about petty crime in roatan. i'm not an apologist for third world predation on first world tourists. but from what i know of my week in west end, i feel comfortable saying that west end is a special spot, and you and your family can have a great time there. just watch your valuables as you would anywhere, and treat people with dignity and respect, and you'll have a great time. oh and yes, #14 is the one to reserve. great kitchenette, huge porch, and plenty cool at night with the seabreeze to avoid the ac fee. enjoy!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chrispuravida
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Very nice, 300 meters from west end but miles away. Nice view and breezes. nice rooms. Nice people! Worth the walk. Quiet and calm above the mangroves. I agree with a 3rd floor room, as a top choice. really nice. you have to check it out, try a night, then just stay.

Room Tip: A 3rd floor room is worth the extra steps!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2013

This place is fantastic, loved the spacious rooms and quiet location. Right on the beach so we had our own walk out to the pier. Everything was clean and well organised. Having a fridge was a bonus compared to other hotels we've stayed in. Really enjoyed our stay here!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 March 2013 via mobile

Arrived yesterday. So far all that is missing is a great reading chair. Rooms are modest, but quite functional. Location on water, but not on beach. That also makes it much quieter than its sister hotel in the center of town.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 22 March 2013

This hotel is perfect for a not too expensive hotel. Simple, quiet, a little fahr from the action of the town, not busy like a resort. The balconies are Huge and the view stunning! The nice thing is that the wind during night is strong that side of the bay so it is not too hot for sleeping. I recommand the 3rd floor. I strongly recomand it! :)

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are good but there is one, it is in one corner, you have the view on the bay A...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
#4 of 14 in West Bay
Posada Arco Iris
Posada Arco Iris
#4 of 12 in West End

Been to Posada Las Orquideas? Share your experiences!