“comfy, big rooms hot showers quiet location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Posada Las Orquideas

Posada Las Orquideas
Ranked #6 of 13 West End B&B and Inns
Queensland, Australia
“comfy, big rooms hot showers quiet location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

This hotel has a nice location but isolated, nice hot showers, big rooms lots of space, mini bar. We enjoyed our stay. The miggies are terrible biting take insect repellent. And a torch for walking back at night

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Katherine P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

At the beginning when I saw the pic here in Tripadvisor I was exceptical about this Hotel.... When I arrived the first day and enter the room (room 14.. 3rd floor in the left corner with the best views of the bay ).... I was so impressed.... the rooms are really open, high ceilings, everything extremely clean, the wood in the high ceilings made it look awesome, 2 beds.. 1 queen size, the other one normal..... bathroom like new with new tiles and really clean... fresh water!!!! very hard to find in Roatan Island in a bathroom as almost are recycled water... but this hotel has fresh clean water!!.... the views in the balcony Amazing!!!!..... Room came with a little freezer, stove, dishes and cups and glasses along with forks, knives, spoons everything for you to feel like your in home... just go to the local market purchase everything you need and youre ready to save a lot of money on food as you can cook your own food!!!..... The girl in the frontdesk she is very gentle with you, always with a smile on her face... the lady who clean the rooms are really gentle and fast.. they do your room in 10 mnts!!! and they left it like brand new..... I was surprised that they are very respectful and you dont have to worry about leeaving personal stuff in the room... rest assure that they will be there when you come back as personal in the hotel is really responsible.....in sum.. this hotel is really good on top of that value per night $50.00 in Roatan?? amazing prize.... the only downside is that you need to walk around 7 mnts to go to West End.... whenever it rains the road gets muddy and a lot of mosquitos around at least in September... although you can see houses and some landscaping when you walk through this

Room Tip: I recommend Room 14 its on the 3rd floor left corner has the best view balcony and servicve ladies t...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Giorivassv
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

Amazing rooms, clean bathrooms with hot water. Stunning views from the balcony. Not too far from everything else. However the people who work here are not friendly at all. Still, for what you pay, it's not bad.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Martina2545
The World
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

Great hotel in a quieter part of the West End, surrounded by huge trees. The room was huge, with a double bed and a single bed and a balcony overlooking the water. Very clean and quiet. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Surely a great choice in Roatan.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

I just returned from a week long stay at this Posada Las Orquideas. It's situated on the far end of West End (opposite direction of West Bay), on a dirt road about 300 meters from Half Moon Bay.

The rooms have a view of the mouth Mangrove Bight and the Caribbean. The hotel is 3 stories high with patios across the front that look out over the water. For the best view I recommend a 3rd (top) floor room. We stayed in room #14 which I had read was the best room. I would agree. It's on the corner of the 3rd floor and closest to the Caribbean. Our trip fell during low season, so up until the last night we had a lot of privacy with no other neighbors on the top floor. The patio offers only a 3 foot or so divider between patios, so if you have neighbors, you'll get to know them pretty well. We felt safe on the walk from the paved section of West End down the dark dirt road to the hotel, however we did not stay out very late. I would not recommend walking the dirt road alone late at night.

During the hottest part of the day we escaped the sun and sand flies by sitting in the shade on the covered dock out in front of the hotel. We were cautioned about crocodiles in Mangrove Bight, so I passed on swimming, although my boyfriend enjoyed the water, and I also noticed people on the opposite bank out in the water.

The rooms are modest, with ample space in my opinion, and clean. We went in the beginning - middle of June and it was hot, so I would recommend paying extra for air conditioning. Which, by the way, worked great other than the first night. We reported it at the office the next morning and It was fixed promptly the next day by the time we arrived back at our room. Speaking only for the top corner room, there was a lot of day light (even with curtains) due to having windows on 3 sides. The sun comes up early, so bring an eye mask if you like to sleep in. We had hot water every day and no issues with the shower, sink, or toilet.

Since the hotel is owned by the same party as Posada Arco Iris and Argentinian Grill, we were able to use the beach front, chairs, bathroom, outdoor shower, and kayaks there. It was about a 10 minute or less walk from Las Orquideas. The music choice blaring through the speakers on the beach was not our taste, so we ended up spending most of our beach time a few yards away at Sundowners. The owners of the hotel also have an Argentinian Grill located right on West Bay, so we were able to use the chairs and amenities there when we visited West Bay. Be sure and use some sort of environmentally friendly bug spay - the sand flies on the beach will eat you alive.

Karolina, Kevin, and the other staff at Argentinian Grill / Arco Iris were very helpful, however Mindy in the Posada Las Orquideas office seemed bothered when we asked questions, made no eye contact, and gave short or one word responses. Maybe she was having a bad week - but there was a noticeable disparity between Mindy's demeanor at Orquideas, and what we encountered from the friendly staff at Arco Iris / Argentinian Grill.

We arranged through the hotel a car to take us to the airport on our last day. Our friendly and eager driver, Israel arrived several minutes early and shared with us more about Roatan history and culture on our ride to the airport than we learned on our island tour. He was great!

I would definitely stay at Las Orquideas again and highly recommend it for an affordable, well-run, clean, quiet, and peaceful location that is convenient to everything in West End without being in the middle of the action.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JackieN27
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

would recommend this hotel to everyone who wants a comfy place to stay for a great price. just came back from honduras and really enjoyed my stay at las orquideas. not many people know this but las orquideas shares facilities with posada arco iris, so you can use their beach chairs and kayaks for free, both at the west end beach and west bay beach. also, they have a really nice private pavilion overlooking the water where you can chill out whenever you want. the rooms are clean and nice. the staff are friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank shuyingke
New York, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

I was greeted at Posada Las Orquideas by an unsmiling girl at reception. She showed me a room on the second floor and when I said I'd stay for 10 days, she told me that the room was only available for 4 days, but after that I could move to a studio which cost $5 more. I visited in May during the low season and the place seemed empty. A wall in reception was covered with keys and a sign declared a special promotion: Room $30, Studio $35. I didn't want a studio and when I asked if I could have one at the price of a room given the length of my stay, she told me that they were very full. She pointed to the keys on the wall and said that all those rooms were taken, and furthermore, they were expecting a large group soon. Nevertheless, I persisted. I repeated that I didn't want a studio, wouldn't use the kitchen, could I please have it at the price of a room. She looked at me for a while, talked on the phone, then told me that she had a room for me.

She showed me a room on the 1st floor and said I could have it for the duration of my stay. I preferred the room on the 2nd floor and when I asked if I could have that one and then move to the 1st floor, she said that they didn't want me to move. I asked if she had anything else higher up and she said that the only other room available was a studio for $41. I was tired and sleep deprived so I decided to stay for a night. I trekked over town but didn't see anything I liked so I swallowed my annoyance and stayed. Besides me there were only 2 other people staying there and the large group never materialized.

I do not like being lied to or scammed, and given that the staff were all unsmiling and unfriendly, I don't have a high opinion of Posada Las Orquideas.

Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Splash Inn Dive Resort
Splash Inn Dive Resort
#1 of 7 in West End
Seagrape Plantation Resort

Been to Posada Las Orquideas? Share your experiences!