“AMAZING food, amazing owners!”

The Lily Pond House Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 West End B&B and Inns
United States
“AMAZING food, amazing owners!”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I am not usually a person who likes to eat out. We rented a house with a full kitchen so we could avoid eating out for the most part, but we heard about The Lily Pond and wanted to check it out.

We were greeted by Zack, who was absolutely sweet and helpful. I am normally a very picky eater and am disappointed when I eat out at the quality of the food and the staff, but Lily Pond was fantastic in all ways. I am so pleased with our experience here I can't wait to go back! One thing I am bummed about is that we didn't stay here. Zack let us look at the rooms and I was floored they were so gorgeous and cozy. Not to mention, I think they are in the perfect location - Off the main strip where there is music, traffic etc., but easily within walking distance to everything.

My favorite thing however was that they are animal lovers and had the cutest, sweetest dogs and cats around. I will always patronize a place that does anything to help animals! You will not be disappointed in this place!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank My3Mutts
ChicagoLeo, Manager at The Lily Pond House Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Ah! Thanks guys. It was a pleasure having you here and If you find yourself on the island again, It would be great to see you again. Take care and thanks for sharing your experience. Zak. / Luis.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Maryland
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Lily Pond House is off the main road in West End. We enjoyed our stay there and found the location to be an easy walk to the beach, local shops and restaurants. Zak and Louis are good hosts and provided helpful tips on the area.

The rooms are nice but the bathroom could use a little TLC. AC in our room was spotty. Be sure to bring your own shampoo and bath soap as none was provided.

Breakfast was good and always started with a big bowl of fresh fruit. Luis kept the french press coffee well supplied. He also prepared a wonderful seafood platter for lunch with lobster, shrimp and sea bass in a light curry sauce. Great key lime pie and monkey la la too!

Diving with Scuba Roatan was excellent and dive master Francois is the best! We highly recommend them if you plan to dive. We also had a great night dive with Melanie at West End Divers. Dives run about $40 each. There were beautiful fish, turtles and lion fish during the day and an octopus during the night dive.

Take the water taxi to West Bay beach. The taxi is $3 each way but well worth the cost. You can get a chair and umbrella for free as long as you purchase food or drink from the restaurant. We went to the Argentinian Grill and the food was top notch and not expensive. Wonderful calamari, snapper and fish sandwiches. Raphael took good care of us there. The beach is beautiful.

Roatan is a great place for a relaxing beach and diving vacation. It is clean, safe and friendly. There are plenty of restaurants and bars to choose from. Take cash as most places do not accept a credit card. If you are lucky enough to find street food, give it a try. You can get a great meal for $5 including pork, fish or chicken, vegetables/rice & beans, tortilla, & pico.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank MarylandScubaMan
Vancouver
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We went to Honduras for the first time last year and searched for something small, with character and a great location. We lucked out with the Lily Pond House, and we get to go back again soon!

As background, we've travelled a fair bit through Mexico and Central America, and are always on the lookout for places to stay that have character and great people, ideally combined with great food. We're in our 40's, active, and like food, night life as well as the ambiance of whatever country we're in. Chains and large resorts are NOT what we like to holiday in!

If that fits, then the Lily Pond House is for you. It's small, very slightly off the beaten track, and run by two fabulous hosts. We stayed in the top floor room, which was very sizeable and well appointed, though you need to be prepared to walk your suitcases up the spiral staircase. It's about a 5-8 minute walk from the center of town, and 2 minutes from water access for swimming and snorkeling, so everything is quite accessible but you're not kept up at night by the noise from the bars. Zach and Lluis are great people, very gracious hosts, and they made us feel right at home. We stayed several nights and it got so the highlight of our night was returning to the Lily Pond to share a glass of wine with our new found friends. We appreciated the fabulous breakfasts Lluis prepared every morning, and can highly recommend dinner at the restaurant in the evening as well.

I'm a research junkie - I love reading reviews and searching out the best places for us to stay on every trip. I really felt I'd scored when I found the Lily Pond on line last year, and when we actually got to stay there it reinforced that feeling. Now we get to stay again, and we're really looking forward to it.

I promised Zach this review last year, so it's quite late but still heartfelt. The only regret I have in writing it is that I'll be creating competition for when we want to go back again!

- R.

Room Tip: We liked the top floor for maximum privacy.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rooster889
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Feb 2014 - Stayed here on the first part of a 3 country, 3 week trip in Central America.... Zach was there to pick us up off the plane, friendly chap who told us about the area and island. Luis cooks some great food for breakfast and dinners if you choose to eat at the hotel.

We originally booked 3 nights but ended up there 5 because our boat transfer to Utila cancelled last minute due to the choppy seas. That was a bummer because we really wanted to go over to Utila and possible get out to see Whale Sharks.

Stayed on the top floor which was very spacious and had a nice porch and very comfortable hammock. There was also a noticeable breeze that far off the ground, which was nice and we left the doors open much of the time during the day...

Location I thought was nice, you can walk in five minutes to plenty of places to eat or shop and within a minute there is the beach and snorkeling either from the main beach or the hotel to the other side which is quiet and has a bunch of chairs to sit in and watch the sunset.

The ATM at Monkey House works fine but some nefarious locals have it hooked up to go blank on one screen and you have to press some buttons to get the screen back up. Make sure you are finished with your transaction before leaving because they will run in right away and try to see if you did this or not...

Eco Divers (newer location) next to hotel set us up with private boat and half day snorkeling to some local spots. We were going to head out to some islands for a full day about an hour away but the water was too rough and the boat was rocking bad so we turned and did the local sights which were good. Some nice coral, fish, biggest starfish I have ever seen, and some nice beaches to stroll.

Pros: Location, Good breakfast, AC if you need it, 3 cute rescued dogs, nice owners, cool bats at night at the hummingbird feeder. We got perfect weather every day, around 85 and sunny. Luis also has some good paintings he has done around the hotel.

Cons: Not many, I would mention that there is some dog poop around sometimes which I stepped in one night. I am sure they clean a lot but this could be an issue for some people who don't like dogs. For me it was minor. Also one of the dogs (Annie?) loves to sleep outside the 3rd floor room and she likes to bark randomly at night at things. Its a very minor thing and after a night or two you sleep through it. It is kind of nice though to know she is watching the property and you all night... I like the dogs and would return here again but I just like to let people know everything to expect in case they don't like dogs.

Non related to the hotel.. Watch the local ATMs. Also electric goes out once or twice a day, often at night. Consider a flashlight.

Overall I would highly recommend Lily Pond House to people.

Room Tip: I would go with the Penthouse, 3rd Floor...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Zach & Luis deserve serious commendations. Lily Pond was the only place we chose to stay while in Roatan & we couldn't have made a better decision. They were so accommodating, friendly, helpful and really made us feel at home. We had the top floor room with a cute porch, hammock, mosquito nets on the bed (huge plus!) cute bathroom - it was the most private. They have 3 dogs, I'm an ENORMOUS dog lover so I was in heaven :) Each of them with such character and always there to greet you. Breakfast was good - different every day - drinks were always good. We only had dinner there one night but it wasn't too bad either. Power goes out every 1 or 2 days throughout the island, West End at least, (I found this hysterical) so the first night during dinner at Lily Pond, it went out. Bats are active here so hopefully you don't mind their presence. I honestly wasn't too excited about them at first but I got used to it and they are pretty neat. A variety of restaurants, ATM's (ALWAYS make sure you've TRIPLE cancelled your ATM transaction. There are people who attempt to steal your information immediately after you leave), shops, a larger beach and a smaller dock are all close by. Snorkeling equipment is available. We walked down to Eco Divers and they hooked us up with a private guide for a cool snorkeling trip. Be prepared for rough seas, they aren't uncommon. So some of your plans involving water transport may be disturbed. Overall, Lily Pond is wonderful. Excellent location and amazing people!

Room Tip: Top floor! First floor is, well, the first floor. Second floor is on the same floor as part of their...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

The Lily Pond House is a perfect representation of West End Roatan - relaxing, comfortable and great fun. Zak was a fantastic host and Luis' breakfasts were a wonderful way to start the day. The room we stayed in was large and airy, at half the price of nearby comparable places. And, of course, the warm greetings from their dogs when we would wake up or return for the day was the icing on the cake. If you want the cookie-cutter hotel resort, this may not be the place for you, but if you want a real taste of the area, I highly recommend it.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We were captivated by the lovely music streaming out of this place as we walked along the back road to the resort we had a cabin at. Sometimes jazz, sometimes classical, sometimes something else the owners fancied. Very amicable and hospitable owners - one from London and one native Honduran. Although we didn't stay overnight here, the owners gave us a tour of the B&B's rooms - very charming and romantic! Each with their own balcony.

We did end up squeezing in a lunch on our last day. Super "fresh catch of the day" sea bass with a scrumptious sauce and fresh mixed veges. Quite tasty. Add a lovely glass of wine and music ... we had the restaurant all to ourselves (plus a couple of friendly dogs).

Easy short walk to town and beach, this lovely and unique "hotel" is surrounded by natural scenic beauty with hosts who are eager to take care of you. If we return to Roatan, this would definitely be where I would stay. NOTE: during the rainy season, the road outside the hotel can get very muddy. Don't let it deter you as once you step inside the grounds, you'll be pleasantly surprised by the creative touches and cleanliness.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Caribe Tesoro
Caribe Tesoro
#1 of 6 in West Bay

Been to The Lily Pond House Hotel? Share your experiences!