“Best B&B in Roatan!”

Ranked #7 of 13 West End B&B and Inns
Vancouver
“Best B&B in Roatan!”
Reviewed 10 July 2009

The Lily Pond House is a beautiful place to stay; minutes away from the beach, snorkeling, diving & great restaurants & bars. My husband & I stayed at the Lily Pond in the Penthouse suite in February ~ it was perfect! The room has beautiful wood furnishings, a mosquito net canopy bed, small fridge with filtered water, large stand up shower with skylight......fantastic! Sean is a great host, very knowledgeable about the island & cooks the best breaky EVER! He even took us to the airport when we came back for a nights stay after a month in Utila. We can't wait to return........

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 2 July 2009

My husband and I just got back from a 10 day stay at Lily Pond. We stayed in the Penthouse suite. It's like going up to a tree house, but with all the ammenities one would want. Very well appointed and Sean (the owner) makes a wonderful, filling breakfast every morning for you. You'll most definitely meet Sid, the cat. As every morning he'd come to greet us. A bit of a pest... but, you'll grow to like his unique character. We'd toss him a few scraps from our breakfast and it made him so happy he'd stare up at you purrrrring. =) The B & B is very close to Half Moon Bay for snorkeling and Sundowner's Beach Bar, the best bar in West End. Great experience and we'd definitely go back! Thanks Sean for all your hospitality!!!

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed 12 April 2009

Sean was fabulous. He picked us up and dropped us off at the airport. The location was great. 3 minutes from the beach and restaurants but away from the noise and crowds. The air conditioning worked well and was very quiet. The room was very spacious with a TV/VCR/videos and fridge with lots of purified water. The breakfast was great and Sean accomodated our food preferences.
Unfortunately, there was a pronounced mildew smell in the room that was present all the time and was extremely unpleasant.
Based on other reviews on Trip Advisor most people stayed in the top floor room and didn't mention this issue. The Garden Room is on the ground floor.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SKWorldTravelers
Washington
Reviewed 31 January 2009

The Lily Pond is perfectly located, close to all activities, yet in a quiet and safe area of West End, a short walk from the sea. The rooms are beautiful, offer all the amenities that one might expect from a high end guesthouse and are decorated with taste.

We stayed at the Lily Pond for two weeks and will definitely come back in the near future. Our host, Sean, was great throughout our stay. He made sure that we felt comfortable and relaxed at all times and gave us tons of advice and information about the island. The breakfast lives up to its reputation as the best of Roatan. Thank you Sean for making our vacation unforgettable!

• Liked — The calm peaceful setting
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Gl0betr0tter_2009
Israel
Reviewed 22 October 2008

We stayed at the ¨penthouse suite¨ for over a week. The suite was spacious and comfortable with ample closet space, a small fridge full of drinking water and a coffee perculator. We had a porch from which you can see the dense green garden and the pond (which has 2 turtles). The house also has numerous magazines, books and videos which come in handy in cases of bad weather. Sean´s hospatality made us feel right at home. He greeted us every morning with a hot pot of coffee, delicious breakfast according to our request and a great conversation. He also recommended great places in West End and provided complimentary laundry services.
The only point for improvement is the place cleanliness. We think that the room should be more thoroughly cleaned, and the towles replaced more often. At one point the A/C stopped working, but the backup fan was sufficient in that weather.
Anyway, Sean is such a nice guy that it compensates for everything.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Washington DC
Reviewed 15 August 2008

We just got back from a fantastic 10-day trip to Honduras that included a 4-night stay at the Lily Pond Guest House on Roatan. I can only add to the long list of positive reviews. All in all, it was wonderful. Sean, one of the co-owners of Lily Pond, picked us up directly from the ferry. From the outside, the property does not look like much. (As a side note, upon reflection, I actually commend them for not trying to dress up the outside of the property. As it is now, it is much more in keeping with the properties that surround it which give it more of an authentic feel.) However, once you get behind the gates and up to your room, it's amazing. We stayed in the Captain Morgan suite which was lovely in every way. Beautiful wood floors, high ceilings, tasteful decor, lovely back porch, spacious bathroom, ample closet space. I could go on and on. The accommodations themselves were just wonderfully comfortable in every way. From what I could gather when I did my research on places to stay on Roatan, Lily Pond is one of the more expensive options outside of the resort-type properties in West Bay (by only about $25-40). However, it is worth every penny. Again, the physical accommodations in and of themselves were well worth the money. On top of that, there were so many extras, many of which weren't mentioned in guidebook write-ups. For example, after having been in Honduras for a few weeks, I had laundry to do. I was going to take it to the local lavanderia but Sean and Zak (other co-owner) said it was part of the service at Lily Pond and did it there for me. They also gave us free use of snorkel equipment and beach towels. The biggest extra bonus at Lily Pond is the fantastic breakfasts every morning thoughtfully and lovingly created by Sean. The food was unusual, plentiful, tasty and presented with care and style. I can't say enough about what a fabulous treat this was for us every morning we were there. Another little bonus at Lily Pond is the location. It is perfectly located a bit "off the beaten path" in West End minutes from all the restaurants and night spots as well as a lovely beach and fantastic snorkel spot. We chose to rent a car and spend a fair amount of time on the east side of the island. However, we always enjoyed returning to Lily Pond and the West End. You could easily spend all of your time within a 5 minute walking distance of Lily Pond and have a fantastic vacation. We figured that due to LIly Pond's location, we saved taxi money we would have spent if we stayed in a place further away from the center of West End. Between that and the money saved by not having to pay for laundry, breakfast, snorkel equipment and ferry/airport transfers, we more than made up for the slightly (and I mean slightly) higher cost of Lily Pond. One thing you simply can't put a price tag on is how wonderful our hosts were -- Sean, Zak, feline Sid and canines Derick and Lola. They all have such fantastic personalities and made us feel right at home at Lily Pond and on Roatan. Sean and Zak gave us great advice on how to spend our time on Roatan which resulted in us having a fantastic time and the type of vacation we were looking for. They were always there to give advice on restaurants and nightspots (which we didn't see much of since my husband was suffering side effects of malaria meds) and everything else on the Island. When we rented our car, Sean gave us his cell phone number in the event anything went wrong (if you've driven in Honduras, you know things can go wrong!). Fortunately, we had no problems but it was just nice to have the sense of security of having his number. The best part is that both of them were as funny as can be and told great stories. I honestly wish I was better at imitating a British accent just so I could retell their stories to our friends and they could get the full effect. Overall, as you can tell if you've made it this far, I can't say enough good things about Lily Pond. If you are headed to Roatan, book your stay there. You won't be sorry.

• Liked — The hosts, location, value, breakfasts and beautiful room.
  • Disliked — There was really nothing we disliked.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SSMDcouple
New York, NY
Reviewed 24 July 2008

I am not surpised to see overwhelmingly great reviews, but I am glad to over a different opinion for my fellow traveller's consideration. My issue with this place is something unique to the island - the power shortage. During my stay in Lilypond, there was an ongoing power issue island wide and, unlike most of the hotels and inns, Lilypond does not have a generator. If you are not in and out of the ocean everyday like me, you probably won't mind not being able to take a fresh water shower for three days. I ended up taking shower at the public fauset in Coconut Diver everyday and after the third day we decided to leave (we have paid for 7 nights of stay) and moved to a nearby property right by the beach with a generator (at a much cheaper price than Lilypond). Zac is a great guy - he sympathized the fact that we could not even take a shower for three days and agreed to refund us the rest of the money. I will unfortunately need to reserve my opinions as to Sean.

Stayed March 2008
3 Thank Lanchill
thelilypondhouse, Owner at The Lily Pond House Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2010
we, The Lily Pond House can fully understand the disappointment that has been expressed in this review however, we must say that the comment referring to other similar hotels and bed and breakfasts all having generators is not quite true and the issues mentioned in relation to our hotel would have only been echoed had the people in question stayed at a large number of them .
Reco, our electricity suppliers on the island have over a period of time faced some difficulties with supplying it's source 24 /7 but they are addressing the situation and are definitely wining the problem.
Although there was a period of time when it was possible that we could find ourselves without energy for some hours, it has never, in all of my years in Roatan, been out for days or even one day resulting in not being able to have a shower every day.
Generators are a back up way and do, to a degree offer a solution however I do think it would be extremely sad for Roatan if every few steps you took on this beautiful island you found yourself subjected to the bedlam sounds and toxic exhorts fumes that accompany this solutions to the problem.
I think it should also be noted that we are just a small island that rely on a majority of daily necessity to come from the mainland, Fuel being one.
I feel that in no time at all this would only be creating other issues such as shortages of gasoline bringing the public transport to a stop, dive shops etc etc.
This was an unfortunate issue for everyone and on this occasion I made it my policy to refund and to find alternative accommodation.
Who was it that said living on a tropical island is all paradise lol.
Also consider these accommodations in or near West End
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort
Caribe Tesoro
Caribe Tesoro
#1 of 6 in West Bay

Been to The Lily Pond House Hotel? Share your experiences!