“Relaxing Oasis Near West End”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cocolobo

Cocolobo
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in West End
California
“Relaxing Oasis Near West End”
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

The rooms at Cocolobo are spacious and made out of Honduran Pine. They all have beautiful views facing the water with the shore only 30 feet away. While there is no beach here there is a nice large deck with a tiny pool. Each room has its own deck with chairs and a hammock. The location is very good. Only a 10 minute or less walk to the many restaurants and bars of West End but far enough away to avoid the late night noises. Breakfast is good if not special. There is no restaurant and somewhat surprisingly no food provided at all in the afternoons. Gicen that many guests are divers and come back hungry from their morning dives some kind of afternoon snack would be appreciated e.g. nuts, crackers, fruit or cookies. This is a bit of inconvenience when it is raining hard and one would get soaked going to the West End restaurants. The manager, Krys, is terrific. She will try to fulfill any request and keeps her head about her when all else are losing theirs. I would definitely return.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
RoatanKrys, Manager at Cocolobo, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Thanks Duane!!

It was great having you here this week!! You have so much information to give about world travel and preservation efforts. Thank you again for the suggestions! Hope to see you back in a few months!!

Krys

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We stayed at Cocolobo Nov 23-30, 2013, in the midst of terrible weather--and still had a nice time there! The lodging is comfortable and the location is excellent. It is a 5-minute walk into the West End where there are lots of restaurants and many well-rated dive operations. The cooked breakfasts are a treat. The staff is very nice and very accommodating. But the best aspect of Cocolobo is the manager, Krys. Krys worked night and day to keep us comfortable in the midst of island power outages and generator issues, plus drove us into town frequently to eat, etc. She brought in food during the worst of it. A couple of comments about Roatan overall, in closing: it is rustic and diving is the main event. This was our first time on the island and we will come again, but not during the rainy season!

RoatanKrys, Manager at Cocolobo, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Thank you Sandra and Bob!!
I know the weather wasn't fabulous to say the least but I did enjoy getting to know you both and hope to see you back down here in the sun!! Maybe a few more dives and even an East end tour :)
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

We were very impressed with the rooms, service and view here. Krys personally drove my partner the hospital when she was sick, which was above and beyond expectations. Breakfast is delicious. Location is ideal. Thank you kindly.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Hananable
RoatanKrys, Manager at Cocolobo, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
Thank you Hans!! I hope you both are enjoying the last leg of your adventure! Hope Katherine is feeling much better!

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 22 November 2013

My first visit to Roatan, so I was not sure what to expect. Cocolobo is set off the main road in West End, just enough that it is very quite, but only a 5 minute walk to the main strip, which of course is along the beach and bay. My wife and I visited Nov 9-16th, and were very glad we picked Cocolobo. We had a wonderful view and breezes in our oceanfront room, a comfortable, clean bed in a room larger than I expected, and were severed a great breakfast every day. Krys the manager is outstanding. She is genuinely friendly and interested in her guest's happiness and well being. She offering her full attention to us when we wanted anything, as she did for all of the guests. The power went off a couple of times, I think for the whole island, but Cocolobo has a generator, and honestly, once you get in the laid back groove of Roatan it really didn't matter anyway. I am a scuba diver, so I made 10 dives with Scuba Roatan, which was the closest dive operator to Cocolobo, and it was ridiculously easy to dive there. Seriously, I would leave breakfast at coco about 8:40am, walk five minutes to Scuba Roatan, my gear would be ready, and since their shop is on the water, it is about 30 seconds to get to the boat! Oh yeah, how many times do you hear "The ride to the dive site today will be about 2 1/2 minutes", then you are diving on an incredible reef! But I digress... My wife does not dive, so Krys offered plenty of ideas and clued us in to daily specials and activities around West End. I was worried to stay in West End "where all the action is" according to what I had read. Everything is relative, though, and coming from New Orleans, West End was a great mix of enough to do and see, but was still pretty quite and laid back. Granted, I think we were there off season. I'm sure there was more out there to do, but we ended up going to bed early and getting up early every day. Maybe that is just because we found what we were looking for - genuinely friendly people, excellent places to eat, and plenty of chill out time. This lodge also attracts an interesting clientele We actually had two Fullbright scholars staying there - one was an American in his early 20's, the other was unrelated, a German with a different party, in his 70's, Oh yeah, the fridge at the bar / common area at coco is stocked with local beers and soft drinks, all on the honor system, just grab one and mark it down. The wifi worked very well, too. We used the A/C two of the 7 nights we were there. Nice to have if you want it. PS Krys offers to arrange transport to/ from the airport and you should do this. Both coming and going to airport we coincidentally were with other guests from coco, so the van fee was 11 bucks a couple each way, instead of 22. Overall an extremely Awesome vacation!

Room Tip: Upstairs ocean view rooms are the best, if available
1 Thank Jerry_Holiday
RoatanKrys, Manager at Cocolobo, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Thank you so much Jerry!
I truly enjoyed having you and Darlene for the week!! I hope to one day hear you play in New Orleans. Hopefully, you BOTH will be back soon and maybe we can get in a few dives!
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My partner and I recently went to Cocolobo for a week, celebrating a birthday. The overall experience was great! The service that Krys provides the guests is absolutely outstanding. She writes daily attractions on a blackboard and is always willing to give last minute suggestions. She is very candid and open about the island, providing advice of where to go for food and drink, and also where to avoid. Morning exercise routines were offered and we took her up on them! We saw a TON of the island during our morning walks/hikes with her and she really made the difference for us while on our vacation. Heidi in the kitchen was also a jewel - she made me a cake for my birthday! AWE! AMAZING service; really outstanding. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: We stayed in Playa Bay, right on the water with a great view. Left the doors open at night and had...
RoatanKrys, Manager at Cocolobo, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Thank you Jon for a great review!!
I really enjoyed getting to know you and Alex over the week!! I hope to have a new trail for us to run/hike/sweat on for your next visit! Hope you enjoyed your birthday week celebration! Have a great time in Colombia!

All the best, Krys
Groton, Connecticut
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Many times when you go to a new location on vacations is hard to know where to go and what to do! However, my experience a Cocobolo was a very unique indeed. Every morning I was welcome with a fresh and hot breakfast and based on the weather I received subjections on what to do and where to eat for the day. The manager Krystal was the most hospitable person I have ever encountered. I was able to enjoy a relaxing vacations with great people. Outstanding customer service.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
RoatanKrys, Manager at Cocolobo, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Thank you so much Alex for your kind review!! I truly enjoyed your visit and hope to see you down again! Have a great trip in Columbia and look forward to seeing photos!

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Just spent a week at cocolobo and had an amazing trip. The ocean views at the property are perfect. Not only is the hotel nice, the staff there is on point as well. Krys and the team are so friendly and willing to help out with the room and any info you need on the island. This is the second time I have been to cocolobo and was more than happy to be back there again. The location is great since it is in West End, but a short walk away from all of the bars / dive shops. Highly recommended!

RoatanKrys, Manager at Cocolobo, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Thank you so much Vincent!

It was great meeting you and Nicole and look forward to your return!

Also consider these accommodations in or near West End
#1 of 5 in French Harbour
Mayoka Boutique Hotel
Mayoka Boutique Hotel
#3 of 5 in Sandy Bay

Been to Cocolobo? Share your experiences!