“Incredible Views”

Seagrape Plantation Resort
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in West End
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here in early October, during the off season. Seagrape was lovely - tranquil and clean, with an AMAZING view of the ocean right from our front door. The hammock was a nice touch, and the pool was refreshing. We also enjoyed the proximity to the restaurants and activities of West End while remaining just off the beaten path.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 September 2013

I had the privilege of staying at Seagrape the first week of Sept, and I can truly honestly say that it was the best, most relaxing and wonderful vacation I have ever had. The tone of my vacation was set the day I checked in, and it got better every day. The day I was supposed to check-in was the day I was getting certified for Open Water diving, and my classes and last dive went late. Even though it was past check-in time, the ever smiling, super efficient Mariela waited
for me, helped me register, and even helped me with my luggage to my ocean view bungalow, where the cool a/c was on, and a pitcher of cold water was chilling in the fridge. The bungalow I stayed in (A5) was the very last bugalow, spotlessly clean room, clean bathroom, and fantastic sunset views. Just a few feet away was a gazebo where you could enter the sea for fantastic snorkeling, or sit at night, and gaze at the stars, with the sea gently lapping at your feet. There is no restaurant on-site, but all the restaurants on west end are a very brief 7-10 min walk way. I walked that path many times, even as late as 11:30 pm, and never felt uncomfortable or unsafe. If you are looking for a touristy resort, where you have all-inclusives, and are cheek-by-jowl with other tourists, Seagrape is not for you. If you are looking for heaven on earth, with total serenity, fantastic views and fabulous sunsets, where the entire staff are focused on one thing and that is for you to be comfortable, and enjoy whatever you want to do, then Seagrape is the place to be. Best of all, the value for money!!! I paid approx 60/- per night, for an ocean view bungalow, unbelievably tranquil and serene, where I sometimes slept in my hammock, lulled by the ocean waves and gentle breeze. Unbelivable!!!

And now for the Dive shop. The dive masters are Tony and Cleave, with Ricky and Corvin captaining the boats. and I can tell you, without a doubt, this is the best, most efficient, most comfortable dive shop in ALL of Roatan. Cleave's enthusiasm and exuberance about diving is a sight to behold. If his energy and enthusiasm about diving could be bottled up, it could power a small city. Tony and Cleave's awesome knowledge about the reef and dive sites around the island was unbelievable. They knew the layout and every nook and cranny of every site, and have the eyesight of hawks. I dived with Cleave and folks from the US, Australia and New Zealand, and everyone was amazed at Cleave's vision. Every time he started banging his tank, we looked into the direction he was pointing to, and after a few moments of seeing nothing, we
see a HUGE turtle or an Eagle ray swimming by slowly and majestically. These folks are really the Best of the Best. What really blew me away was the loving care and respect these folks have of the marine life underwater. On every dive, this love and caring was clearly visible, in the way Cleave gently stroked a feeding turtle's shell, holding a conch shell and/or a rock to show us the creatures underneath, and then leave everything in place exactly as it was before. One of my most poignant memories is of a dive Cleave and I did together when we came upon a sea cucumber. Cleave ever so gently cleared the debris off the cucumber, and very very gently stroked it (just like a little baby). This really demonstrated the caring and love of marine creatures, and the respect these folks have of life underwater. This love, awe and respect
was demonstrated time and time again. These folks don't think of diving as a job, this is what they live for, and it shows in everything that they do, and they share it with everyone who dives with them.

Every single dive was professional and lots of fun. Cleave would explain what we would encounter, and would give us choices e.g. if we wanted to/didn't want to enter into a cave etc. All signals were reiterated, entry and exit points clearly stated etc. These guys could read each others minds, as at the end of each dive, Ricky/Corvin were exactly where we anticipated them to be. Even in the event of unforeseen circumstances, if we (or some of us) had to surface early, Ricky/Corvin were there with the boat waiting for us. Another fantastic perk of diving with Seagrape - all the equipment is loaded on the boat when you arrive at the Dive Shop. Unlike other shops where you have to lug heavy gear onto the boat, here at Seagrape everything is taken care of. Your equipment is loaded, mask defogged, tanks and equipment checked and rechecked. All you have to do is enjoy the dive. After reaching each dive site, Ricky / Corvin would smilingly double check your equip, and help you load the gear on, and help you enter the water. After each dive, they would gladly take your fins, and scuba gear out of the water, reducing the strain on your back while entering the boat. Another exquisite touch, after the end of every dive, you have hot dry towels to dry off with, in the boat, and cool ice water and fresh
cut fruit waiting for you at the dive shop. Pure Bliss!!!

I know the West End has a lot of Dive shops and lots of places to stay, but none even come close to what Seagrape can offer. Pure tranquility, clean and cool rooms, fantastic views, a fantastic Dive Shop run by professionals who truly enjoy what they do and treat marine life with the utmost love, caring and respect, a family run enterprise where they take pride in everything, from comfortable accommodations, to fantastic customer service to a totally awesome, professional dive shop, Seagrape provides this and more.

Please go stay at the paradise known as Seagrape and dive with their fantastic and awesome dive team. You will not be disappointed !!!

Room Tip: A5 is the best ocean view bungalow, and affords the most privacy and serenity
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank spestonji
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Dived for 3 days here, was truely memorable. Guys were really friendly and felt totally safe, professional set up! Pool on sea front wit access to sea. Rooms are nice and cool and very clean. Wil return

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 3 September 2013

WE were here 1 week, the staff was very friendly, Mario helped us a lot.. and treated us very well!
The hotel ubicacion could be the wore.. it is 10 min walking... and it is a big dark, apart from that everything is very good! The swimming pool, the views... it is quiet but you have everything you need close...

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank zzurine
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Is a fabulous and nice location in Roatan, my family and i enjoy staying there, Mariela is doing a great job, the pool area is always clean, the rooms was so clean and complete, We have a great vacation and i'm planning to go back next year.

Room Tip: rooms of the new building are good.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2013

This dive resort is located in the epicenter of the most of the best dive sites in Roatan, so if you are a diver, this is were you want to be. It is a short walk to West End, but you need a cab or water taxi to West Bay, if hotels and beach leisure are your thing. I loved walking back from West Bay to West End at night (~45 minutes) but if you are not in a group, this is discouraged. We never felt unsafe, but the zone is not patrolled and you will encounter a lot of beach crabs, rocky crosses, and unleashed guard dogs.

My impressions of Roatan will be resumed in one sentence: I hope I can come back for as long as I can dive my whole life. And if I live a long one, it will be many more years in which I will enjoy diving with Tony, Louis, Ricky, Corbin, and Cleve - the best dive crew I ever met. In my dives I often find myself caught up in the search of the coolest hidden sea creature. One day I hear this crazy banging on Cleve's tank and I'm thinking he saw a whale shark or something. He is hovering in a slow circle, gesturing and looking amazed. I stare at him, clueless, for a while until I realized he is just showing me the landscape. And it took my breath away.

Room Tip: We stayed in the bungalows, which face the ocean and are cozy and comfortable. If you have allergies...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We "discovered" Seagrape 7 years ago after and have been coming back every year. They have the best dive facility (dock, boats, and crew) in West End and a nice small pool right on the ocean. It's a short walk into West End proper, so you can escape some of the excitement and activity of West End but still be right there. The landscaping is well done and the entire layout is very tranquil, quiet, and relaxed.
The Divemasters in particular are some of the nicest and most professional people you can expect to meet. This year we spent almost FIVE WEEKS diving with them while on an extended family vacation. Seagrape is somewhat unique on West End in that it is not only locally owned, but all the divemasters are from Roatan and grew up diving this reef. They have excellent knowledge of both the dive sites and the marine life and are very patient in showing you things you may have missed. Each time you visit a dive site you will see it a different way. Diving with Seagrape is fun!
We got our daughter certified here and plan to get our younger daughter certified here when she is old enough. Classes are small and they always have a separate dive master for those not taking a course. The instructors will work with you until you have the skills. They also strive to help every diver get maximum bottom time. Because we are good on air, all our dives are 60 minutes or more.
We feel totally spoiled by Seagrape. When we arrive for our dives, our gear is already set up so all we need to do is relax and get on the boat. When you return, there is fresh fruit, towels, and cool breezes. The dive shop is located on the dock, so it is a great place to hang out in between dives. There is a great hammock, where you can relax and read. Away from the sand flies, there is almost always a cool breeze and a beautiful view. Anyone that has been to Roatan knows that being bug free is a big bonus.

Whether it's Rachel behind the counter at the Dive Shop, Mariella in the front office, Tony, Luis, or Cleve as the Divemasters, or Ricky and Corvin as boat captains, it's like having a second family away from home. Highly, highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
The Beach House
The Beach House
#4 of 9 in West End
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort

Been to Seagrape Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!