“Delightful Paradise Escape”

Roatan Bed & Breakfast Apartments
Ranked #2 of 12 West End B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Barbara is the most gracious hostess one could hope for especially when you are traveling alone. She was great referring me to places and activities throughout this charming island. You also can't beat rolling out of bed and gazing out your window to amazing views and breakfast. I have read other reviews, and this truly is a tropical tree house. Thank you, Barbara, and I hope to see you again soon!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 4 February 2014

got back last and was disappointed. We stayed in the bottom. It did not look like the pictures. May sure you bring paper towels, dishwashing liquid and something to wash the dishes with. We had to buy paper towels in town and they were $4.50. The upstairs was beautiful. The common porch was lovely with her awesome cat pepperoni. She doesn't give you a key so you have to yell up to let you in. The door is always locked. It rained quite a bit, so it annoying waiting for someone to open the door. We paid for the breakfast. It was scrambled eggs, potatoes and fresh fruit everyday. I was hoping a change. Barbara is a sweet woman. We loved Roatan and we will be back next year. We decided to stay on the the beach at Lost Paradise. Also the upper deck no longer has the table chairs and umbrella. All the wood is rotted. You still can get some great pictures

Room Tip: No comment-didn't see the upstairs rooms but the pictures looked great
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed one night at this B&B and were very happy with our decision. It's a charming house off the main strip, so it is peaceful and has amazing views. Our room was spacious, clean, and comfy. The bathroom was large and clean. Breakfast was yummy and we were able to meet the other guests (which surprised us because everyone was so quiet the night before we thought we were alone). The walk into town was pleasant, shaded, and we enjoyed the extra exercise. Barbara was kinds, responsive, and a great hostess! She arranged a taxi for our ride to the ferry on our last day. Great hideaway. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2014

This was my second time staying with Barbara at her homey jungle hideaway, and I loved it just as much the second time. The common kitchen area is wonderful: spacious, airy, and a fantastic wifi connection if you need it. Barbara is absolutely the best - helpful, adorable, and she makes a mean breakfast, let me tell you!
This time I was in the master suite, which has a really charming private bath and can easily sleep 3 or 4 (at $80/nt, a fantastic value). The rooms are pretty simple (admittedly, the bed leaves a little something to be desired, but that also may be due to my becoming a bit too used to my uber plush pillow top mattress at home), but incredibly airy, HUGE, with excellent closet/storage space and a KILLER view over the jungle canopy to the inviting blue water. Ahhhhh.

To address some of the negatives that others have pointed out:
1. The walk from the beach
Yes, you should be aware that it is about a 10-minute walk on an unpaved road to get to Barbara's. If you are disabled or infirm or just in really bad physical shape, then perhaps this is not the place for you. Otherwise, the walk is no big deal (I did it multiple times a day in flip flops), and I was personally glad for an excuse to have to do a little walking after lying on my back all day in the sand. It's also a beautiful walk.
Helpful tip: Bring a flashlight to use at night (though Barbara did give us a spare).

2. Cleanliness
Not sure what the problem is here. The rooms and common space were perfectly maintained. Again, if you prefer to stay at chain or luxury hotels, then this is obviously not it. Staying here is like a home away from home - simple, cozy, welcoming and comfortable. Barbara is wonderful and approachable - if you need something, just ask! And Pepperoni, the cat, is a charming addition - sweetest cat ever. Kinda wanted to steal him.

If you want to be right on the beach and don't care so much about nightlife, then I recommend paying the extra money and staying in West Bay. I prefer West End for the action and economy, and it's a cheap, very quick water taxi ride (also super fun and picturesque) to the gorgeous beaches of West Bay. Love Roatan and I sincerely hope the American tourists don't ruin it. Will definitely be back, and will definitely be staying with Barbara once again. Best B & B at the best value.

Grazie, Barbara!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank katreasy
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Barbara was lovely and adorable and took care of me when I was sick. The house is spacious and cozy with common areas to relax with a book or chat with fellow travelers. Breakfast was always delicious. Felt like a home away from home.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I had such a wonderful stay here with my husband in December. The Roatan B&B is a cozy hide-away nestled in the forest, a short walk from all that West End has to offer. We felt so relaxed after our two week visit here. Our apartment was a lovely home away from home. We really enjoyed the delicious breakfast each morning and the opportunity that it afforded us to chat with other travelers. We spent many relaxing mornings reading a book and relaxing on the front porch. In the evenings it was lovely to come back to the B&B for a quiet evening. We had booked an apartment which was perfect for us. The kitchen allowed us to prepare some simple lunches and dinners which we enjoyed on our patio. For anyone who is really looking for an opportunity to get away, relax and recharge, I would recommend this place.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Barbara who owns Roatan B&B is a delight! The place is low key and the views are beautiful. As a heads-up, it is a ten minute or so walk to the main street. The road isn't paved, but once you've walked it a couple of times - it's a breeze. Just make sure to bring proper walking shoes.

Breakfast is served at a round table and provides the opportunity to interact with the other guests. I would happily recommend this place and look forward to returning in the future. West End is a lot of fun and just the right amount of busy.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort
Splash Inn Dive Resort
Splash Inn Dive Resort
#1 of 9 in West End

Been to Roatan Bed & Breakfast Apartments? Share your experiences!