“nice place at top of the hill”

Roatan Bed & Breakfast Apartments
Ranked #2 of 12 West End B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Hostess Barbara asked if we could make it bilingual if we post a review, so here it is.

主人Barbara问我们是否可以贴中文的,所以我们翻了英文评价,如下。

It's quite a nice place in West End. Before we moved to Roatan B&B, we stayed at Land's End for four nights, which is right at the shore of Half Moon Bay. Both places are great, and they are quite different. We planned to enjoy a bit of variety during our trip, so it worked out very well.

旅店位于West End,非常不错。在来这个这个旅店之前,我们住在Land's End四晚,就在Half Moon Bay,面朝大海。两个地方都很不错,但不一样。我们计划当中就想尝试一些不一样的东西,一切如愿。

Personally I love the interior design style of Roatan B&B. It's austere but in an excellent way. The walls, the stairwell, the floor, the fixture and the furniture are all wood, and except the outdoor areas (the deck), the wood is all original and unpolished, giving it a quaint feel that I've never experienced at any other places. The bed sheet which looks like some type of rough linen also works very well with the subdued hues inside the room. I uploaded a few pictures which should give you a good idea of what it looks like. Chatting with the hostess Barbara, I learned that she was an art major and personally designed some of the furniture in the living room, such as the bar stools. They are elegantly done. I would love to commission some for my own house if not for the complications in shipping. Frankly, I think Restoration Hardware can take a page or two from Barbara's book.

我个人非常喜欢这的地方的室内设计。风格很简约,但是感觉很好。墙、楼梯、地板、家具等等,除了室外部分(阳台),都是不上漆的原木,给这个旅店(b&b更接近于日本的民宿,而不是美国式的宾馆)不一样的感觉,在别的任何地方都没有见过。床单看上去似乎是粗麻,和房间内部的色调非常和谐统一。我们上传了几张照片,应该比较能够传达这种感觉。在和主人Barbara的聊天过程中了解到她原来是艺术专业的,而且亲自设计了一些家具,比如二楼高高的吧台座椅。做的非常漂亮。如果不是运输不便我们可能会让她帮我们多做几张带回来。说实话,我们觉得Restoration Hardware可以向Barbara的设计中学习一二。

Those who need the standard northern American hotel amenities, however, should probably book elsewhere, such as in West Bay, because the vast majority of b&b's in West End do not aim to compete in that category. There are plenty of hotels in West Bay and Sandy Bay. If I travel with small children next time, I will probably need to book a place in West Bay myself.

不过如果想要找的是能够提供美国标准的宾馆便利的话,这个地方可能不合适,还是去West Bay找比较好,绝大多数在West End的民宿都不是宾馆式的。West Bay和Sandy Bay有很多宾馆可供挑选。下次如果带着小孩去的话,可能我们也会需要去West Bay订房间。

The road up to Roatan B&B is not the most well kept. It is unpaved and can give you a hard time if you drive a front wheel drive car or if it's after a heavy rain. It takes about 8-10 minutes to get to the water front. Barbara said there's plan in the works that the road will be paved in September. When that happens, it should make it an even better stay.

去旅店的路不是特别好走。路是石子土路,没有铺上水泥沥青。如果开的是前驱的车或者在刚下完雨后走会有些困难。从旅店到水边大概八到十分钟。Barbara说当地政府有计划会在九月份修路。修好后,这个地方应该更不错。

All in all, it was a very nice stay, and I absolutely loved the way the house interior is designed and kept.

总的来说,是非常不错的三天。尤其喜欢室内的设计风格。

Room Tip: We stayed at the room on the third floor with the bathroom attached. The air flow it enjoys makes i...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kyle S

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Loved staying here at the BnB.. Barbara is a true gem and sweetheart. Very personable and knows the island very well. She gave tons of great recommendations. I stayed in the apartment downstairs. Very spacious. The outdoor area in the common space was perfect. Nice breeze and views. My stay wouldn't have been great without Vanessa the housekeeper/chef. She always had my breakfast ready like clockwork. It was a good bonus to have the breakfast included. Some cons but def not a deal breaker.
1)The entire island is flooded with No Seeums aka Sand Fleas. Seeing how the place is a treehouse you get the picture. I got bit everywhere I went on island. You just deal with it.
2) The treehouse is up on a steep hill (which I loved actually, semi workout everyday) but was a bit cumbersome after a long day at the beach. Again, I would still return in a heartbeat to stay there.
Personalized service and peace and quiet is worth it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank teach2speak
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My wife and I spent a week in West End scuba diving and so forth. The whole time, we stayed at Roatan Bed and Breakfast. Every morning when we woke up, we were greeted to a beautiful canopy view of the trees and the sea in the distance. Eventually, we'd make our way downstairs to the kitchen, where there'd be a fresh-cooked breakfast for us - fresh juice, coffee, eggs, etc. There was even pancakes one morning!

Then we made our way downhill to the main thoroughfare to do our daily fun. Just a few minutes' walk.

At the end of the day, completely exhausted, we'd head back to the hotel to relax, chat with the proprietress, and relax on the couch or in a hammock. There's wifi, a couple bookshelves of books in English and Italian, tons of space to relax in common areas plus comfortable amenities in your room.

My wife and I would definitely stay here again. Being situated up a hill away from the main thoroughfare, the place offers a peaceful respite from the hustle and bustle of the town with a great view and surroundings.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for just under a week in May and absolutely treasured my time here.

The B&B sits 5 min walk out of town which is perfect to get away from the riff raff when you just want to relax in your hammock but not so far that the walk is at all strenuous.

The rooms are amazing, like a small home within a big home! Fully equipped kitchens, dining/entertaining area and a massive bathroom.

The breakfast was great too especially when you have activities planned for the day, no messing around in restaurants and wasting time.

I really recommend this place, it was an amazing stay!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Spinder86
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I just came back from a three weeks vacation in Roatan and I have to admit I had an amazing time in Roatan B&B. it was a really nice place to stay. I was staying in the little apartment downstairs and it was a cute little place about 7 minutes from the center if I can call it like this. It was interesting to wake up with the birds singing outside in the morning and have breakfast outside of my appartment. It was a quiet and relaxing place to stay, I really enjoyed my time there. The owner is a really funny woman and really easy to talk to, I had really good time with her. And she is always available to give you some tips about Roatan. I have read some of the reviews and i don't understand the bad one at all. The place is clean, the hill is not dangerous at all and i still have all my stuffs. Thanks a lot Barbara for everything. I had a really good time there! I came back to work this week and after one week, I'm still suffering from the different beat of leaving in Canada. See you!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Ranky32
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I enjoyed this hidden little spot on the island. We weren't quite aware of the distance from town beforehand but the walk wasn't too terribly bad (only slightly sketchy at night, but hey we saw a screech owl!). It's a cozy, little B&B and I appreciated the little getaway in the jungle and being close to nature. Breakfast was good, so was the wifi. My one gripe is the lack of accessibility to the upstairs area. It's inconvenient to have to yell for someone to let you in rather than being provided a key.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 May 2014

My wife and I stayed in an apartment at Barbara's bed and breakfast. It was nice and peaceful with the birds waking you up in the morning. Hot water was great. Wifi worked in and out of the apartment on the great patio with hammock and table. Breakfast every morning with the other guests was nice to meet everyone. We all discussed are plans for the day and the adventure that we had the day before. Barbara makes everyone feel right at home. We stayed a week with her and would recommend her place for a quiet adventure in Roatan. The walk up the hill is a bit challenging for the older generation. No A/C Larry and Lourdes

Room Tip: The apartment has its own bath. No A/c
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Clarion Suites Roatan at Pineapple Villas
Foster's West Bay
Foster's West Bay
#8 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Roatan Bed & Breakfast Apartments? Share your experiences!