“Mosquitoes galore!”

Vivanta by Taj - Panaji
Ranked #1 of 48 Hotels in Panjim
Reviewed 6 March 2014

"Strictly business' sums this hotel up, and explains in part why I, a retired independent traveller on holiday, had such a horrible time in this hotel. I booked in for 5 nights, as it brought down the nightly charge quite considerably, but I realised very quickly what a mistake i had made. My main interest in booking was the pool on the roof, but I went up there on the first afternoon, and there was simply no shade, as all the loungers were arranged down one side of the pool, in full sun. It was boiling hot. Unbearable, in fact, as there was no breeze. Then the restaurant which had so attracted me at the outset with its 4 giant palm trees had embarrassing levels of service - how many times do you need to be asked at breakfast if you want more coffee? And the giant palms turned out to be fake! There were a couple of miserable-looking pot plants in reception, but I would have expected at least a beautiful bouquet on the counter, and plants in the pool area would have been nice, except there probably wasn't enough room, and only cactus could have survived up there! But quite the worst was the room I shared with mosquitoes galore! I had a completely sleepless night from all the buzzing, and when I complained the next morning, nothing was done, until I complained again mid-afternoon, and whatever treatment they offered up was useless, so they then changed my room for a 'suite', and I watched the mosquitoes fly in from the corridor when the door was opened. it was a nightmare. I thought the whole ethos of Taj was to look after its clients, yet there in malarial Goa it seemed not to be the case. I'm sure that this hotel is fine for business clients, especially those who do not have to pay their own bills, (as reflected in the reviews!) and also for holidaymakers passing through for a night or two, but for someone like myself, who wanted a place to relax in after a days sightseeing in and around Panjim, it was hopeless. I checked out after 3 horrible nights, which cost a fortune, and I could only compare and contrast it with the only other Taj hotel I've ever stayed in, the Taj Mahal Palace in Mumbai, which was everything the Vivanta wasn't - beautiful room with great city views rather than looking directly onto a building site, a beautiful pool in a wonderful garden setting, and totally discreet service. As it should be, in fact.

Room Tip: Try and choose a room without mosquitoes and which doesn't look out onto a building site! And re...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank pennyredLondon

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Very good hotel for stay. Excellent value for the money. The restaurant Latitude is excellent for the variety of choices to relish upon. Taste is really mouthwatering. The breakfast too is very good due to the choices of dishes it offers. The rooms upkeep is excellent. The hospitality of the staff is excellent. Sure you will not feel bad for spending the money here to stay, wine and dine. As the entry to the hotel straight from the street you do not feel the real look the hotel has. The surrounding space of the hotel is all buildings. You do not feel to keep the windows open and enjoy the surroundings or breeze coming and hugging you.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My wife and I stayed in this hotel from Feb10th to 14th Feb 2014. Facilities of the room are normal as one expects in five star hotels, but food in the restaurants is superb but does not pinch the pocket. We enjoyed fitness center on the first floor and two days we went for JIVA pampered SPA. Our experience was amazing. And swimming pool is located on the 9th floor where we could make only one evening 13th Feb 14. It was full moon night, atmosphere was completely romantic. And the attendant treated us like prince and princess with drinks and fruits after our wet spell. And we noticed a beautiful garden around swimming pool with 4 tall palm trees at corners. How did they manage to transplant those trees at the 9th floor?

Room Tip: Probably with a few dollars more, Vivanta by Taj at Aguda Fort Goa is a better buy. While visiting b...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Great hotel nestled right in the heart of Panaji. This is close to the Mandavi river cruise and casino hub. Impeccable service, as Taj is know for, with attention to the smallest of the details. However this is not a place for the romancing couples. The style is business oriented.
The kitchen is great with a few note worthy restaurants and a beautiful roof top swimming pool.
Packaged well for families and business trips. But you will have to travel a lot to catch the fun in Goa.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Lovely hotel with excellent ambiance and good food, good rooms and very friendly staff. The restaurants offer a variety of meals at any point of the day and the rooms are equipped with all modern facilities. Overall a wonderful experience. Location also a added benefit as from the hotel all popular eateries at panaji are at walking distance.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I stayed here for only 1 day/1 night and I wish I started longer. We were staying at another hotel in North Goa and it was so bad that we left and booked this hotel. Where do I even begin...

This place is luxurious and all staff are absolutely exceptional. The place is beautiful, clean, and quiet. The food is world class. I'm from Vancouver BC and a bit of a foodie and this place did not disappoint.

When you order a movie (free) they give you complimentary popcorn n pepsi. When you walk in you are welcomed with fresh juice and a cold towel.

The staff go above and beyond and even call after each meal, movie, etc to see how everything was abs make certain you are happy. You even get free chocolate and fruit in the room. What more could a girl want!

I can't say enough good things about this place. I have been on a month long trip all over india and the Maldives and this place was the highlight. I highly recommend it and I would absolutely return. I don't have a single bad thing to say as everything was perfect. I am not an easy person to please (you can tell by my other reviews). I give credit however where credit is due and this place went beyond my expectations and surpassed what I consider to be great service, ambiance, and a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Stayed here for 3 days in February 2014. The hotel is well managed. Staff is good and courteous. Rooms are well maintained, clean and service is quick and prompt. Brekfast is excellent with a good selection.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Nikhil R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Panjim
Goa Marriott Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Goa Cavelossim Beach
Grand Hyatt Goa
Grand Hyatt Goa
#1 of 3 in Bambolim
Taj Exotica Resort & Spa Goa
Taj Holiday Village Resort & Spa
Novotel Goa Resort & Spa

Been to Vivanta by Taj - Panaji? Share your experiences!