“Hmm...taste of good things you had in childhood..!!!”
Review of Hotel Fidalgo

Hotel Fidalgo
Ranked #11 of 47 Hotels in Panjim
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Hmm...taste of good things you had in childhood..!!!”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Stayed in Fidalgo after a long time recently. Purely out of habit. This used to be a very conveniently located hotel for the casino lovers. You could just walk off either Pride or Royale, and just have a nice stroll to Fidalgo. This hotel is situated in the heart of Panjim, surrounded with nice restaurants, places to buy cashew, curios and yes...Feni too. But that's just about it. The moment I entered the hotel yesterday, a flashback started playing in my mind. Flashback, that reminded me why I had stopped staying at Fidalgo, Goa.
1) First things first. If you get a room on the first floor ( still not refurbished ), you are royally jacked. The rooms are plain bad. Beds, mattresses, towels, soap, shampoos...everything. The rooms have a musty odour, and staying here is really painful.
2) The corridors have jaded, faded, smelly carpets. Look disgusting, and smell bad too.
3) Elevators are slow. And to add insult to injury,have faded and stinky carpets. Just like their cousins in the corridors.
4) If you happen to use the spa, they have real soothing spa music playing. When I entered, the music system was blaring Hava Hava, E Hava...by Hassan Jahangir ( of early 1990s fame)

On the positive side, the staff is real helpful and warm. I would especially like to compliment the person at checkin counter ( don't remember his name, but was from Arrah, Bihar ). Rest of the staff was helpful too..always smiling and cheerful. The location is central and prices are reasonable. Overall, just average. I don't think I am returning to this place in a hurry.

Room Tip: Never stay on the first floor. And especially the basic room. Go for a higher category of rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BhawaniPathania

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
India
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Stayed two nights at this hotel on a business trip. Nicely done interiors, pleasant look.
Lots of options for food - quite a few restaurants on the premises. ATM also in the same building. Good location, very close to the main city center. Good courteous staff. Nice looking pool - gym and spa facility available. Did not get time to use a lot of facilities, as I was on a business trip. Now having said all the nice things, let me list the negatives - not show stoppers, but as I am used to better stuff, I thought let me point out these negative points.
Although the bathroom is well maintained, there is no curtain / door to prevent the shower water from spilling over and flooding the rest of the bathroom area.
Excellent set of toiletries provided, but to my surprise not replenished used ones on the second day - I have very rarely come across such things in any hotel! The mini bar is well stocked, but again unfortunately the snacks consumed were not replenished - I had to call the housekeeping to get replenishment! Have not seen this in any other hotel.
The spa refused to add the bill to the hotel room bill, had to be settled separately. And they came up with a lame excuse that their credit card machine is not working - the hotel machine was working perfectly though!. They just point to the ATM in the building and ask for cash. Unfortunate thing is that they do not inform at the time of booking a timing for the spa or before the use - they come up with all this at the time of payment - this is really unacceptable service. Further, the spa is in the basement of the hotel and reeks of fungus smell. The sheets are not cleaned properly - I have the doubt that they do not change sheet for every customer. Even if they do, there were so many stains on the sheets- a great put off. Gross. Would never want to go to such a spa! The shower in the spa is not well stocked - no toiletries provided.
At the time of checkout, I had brought my luggage myself to the reception, as I had a very light luggage. Also, I had brought the mini bar usage sheet myself and gave to the staff at the check out counter - Surprise! They will not accept the list from me. They made me wait, sent a person to the room to check the room as well as the mini bar, and after 1/2 hour the invoice was made out. I thought such bad service days are gone - surprised to see such service still in existence. Never faced this in any hotel, whether personal booking or corporate booking. My booking at this hotel was a corporate booking, and in spite of this such service!
It is because of these negative points I have rated the hotel as average. Other than the listed experiences, I have to repeat - the rooms are clean and well maintained, and spacious. Again I get the feeling that not all rooms are the same. Being a corporate booking, probably they put me in a premium wing - the passages were carpeted, but I could see another wing where the passage was not carpeted, and possibly the rooms are also not so well maintained.

Room Tip: Take a room in the carpeted wing - looks better.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Goa
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Despite being in the middle of the City, you can never make it out while you are inside. It's a great place for business meetings with an adjustable conference room and all the facilities you might require.

It also has 3 or 4 restaurants of which the best is Chili and Spice which has an excellent buffet spread.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 15 March 2014

WoW! A great experience stay at Fidalgo. The hotel reception to start with is guest relationship oriented. A warm reception was a touching feel. The rooms especially in the fourth floor recently refurbished and upgraded looks par excellence. The linen, bedding and other accessories are all well maintained. The swimming pool, gym, spa and steam bath are the places to hit for refreshing mind during the evenings. The live entertainment at O Goa near swimming pool is an excellent ambiance with good song numbers even on request. The food spread is worth every penny paid with sumptuous and palatable dishes. Food lovers for sure will enjoy the Chilly n Spice. Room service and house keeping were available on call and prompt. The WiFi connectivity is good.

A change of feeling and refreshed over at Goa.

Thanks a ton for making my stay so pleasant which was beyond my expectations. A word of appreciation to Mr Tapas GM Ops and Mr George GM Admin. good leadership keep it up.

DIG SB Venkatesh

Room Tip: Rooms on Fourth Floor B wing is an excellent option for couples.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I have been with my family to Goa and the place of stay at Panjim is fantastic, six eating places are really wonderful. Rooms are comfortable and service is good. It is located in the heart of city and experience was marvellous.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
India
Reviewed 18 February 2014

After booking this hotel I saw the negative reviews on Tripadvisor and had misgivings. However the place turned out to be much better than our expectations. For a change the hotel wifi was good, unlike many other hotels I have seen.The service was friendly and prompt.There was a variety of cuisines/restaurants to choose from. Do not miss Aunty Maria's freshly baked stuff.

On the negative side, the hotel is somewhat far from the better beaches. I should mention that there was a problem with slow drainage in the bathroom.

Room Tip: See a couple of rooms before taking one. Not all rooms are equally good.Try and pick a room on the 4...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank raydebdutta
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I have recently stayed in this hotel. When I was going through the comments on tripadvisor which are bad I thought not to stay in this hotel. But took a chance for one night. But the feedback of the travellers dont match at all with hotels staff, services and food. All are extremely good. I extended my stay for another 3days. My entire experience was wow! Whenever I come to Goa I will only stay in Fidalgo. A great experience.

• Stayed February 2014