“Awesome location, not so good small rooms, nice waiters, costly taxi.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wild Elephant Eco Friendly Resort

Wild Elephant Eco Friendly Resort
Ranked #22 of 95 Hotels in Munnar
New Delhi, India
“Awesome location, not so good small rooms, nice waiters, costly taxi.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with couple of my friends on 15 feb 2013.

I will directly start with pros and cons this time.

Pros:

Awesome location. Inbetween tea gardens, with a.few spices trees and banana tree. 10 minute walk to waterfall. You can bath under it. Sound.of the insects which eat bananas.

Service boys are.cooperative and good. Munna and Mannu, these two guys are the best ones. Umesh too is good.

Very nice food with reasonable prices. Mr. Cook make awesome.parottas. book them 3 hour advance.

Anil manager is kind enough. No issues there.

Way from munnar to this resort is patchy but with scenic beauty. Acceptable roads.

Cons:

A small pool which is dirty most of the times with insects. Pool overlooks mountain ranges.

The food service is damn slow. But food is freshly cooked and tasty for sure.

Room cleanlinesa is not taken care of properly.

Very small rooms and toilets.

Insects enter your room at night.
No mobile network except bsnl where the resort is located.

Overall I would suggest that if room quality is not your preference, then go there to experience nature.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Ranbir-India-Delhi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

We had a great time at Wild Elephants.
Really remote location set in a cardamom plantation. We went for a walk through the surrounding "jungle" in the property itself.
The manager was really nice enough to upgrade us to the honeymoon resort.
We turned up to munnar and negotiated a good price on the phone before we turned up to the resort.
Its really remote so transport does cost a lot around the island.
The one negative we have about this place which is why I've given it 4/5 is that we wanted to do the jeep safari and asked about it a few times but it was never really booked and seemed to be discouraged.
You have to eat at the accommodation itself as it's quite far from town but the food was really well priced and tasty. It was a good opportunity to meet the other guests and mingle as well.
The pool is not nice enough to swim.
Note, we stayed in early january.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ashchay
Pune, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

I made the booking for couple of my friends and also transferred Rs. 3000.00 as an advance at least a month before the booking date. When I called to confirm the same 2 days before the arrival date, I got a shock of my life when they told me that our room has not been confirmed. This happened on 4th of November 2013. I am constantly in touch with Mr. Anil who is the manager (At least he calls himself that). It has been more than 2 months now and have still not got the refund. Whenever I call him he says he will call me back and switches off his phone. I hope atleast now after posting such a review here, the management will take some action and refund my money. Or else I will have to take this matter legally further.

Room Tip: Do not book.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
21 Thank Surajpc123
london, england
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

I had e-mailed this hotel twice before we arrived but got no reply, that made me a bit nervous about arriving as it really in the middle of no where. Our reception was very poor, no welcome only a disbelief that we had booked, even thought I had confirmation. The room I booked was not available and we were shown a series of rooms, one had sack clothing for a ceiling, the good room we were shown was then "unavailable". The room was had the first night was very poorly constructed, there was a gap between our bedroom and the neighbours bathroom which meant we could over hear their use of the bathroom, unpleasant. We had a child with us and were eventually, after 7 hrs, given bedding for a dusty mattress for the floor. The room was very cold. We were moved next day to a room in the new building and that was much more pleasant. The service was beyond a joke. The staff were clearly untrained and without any management support. Breakfast took over 1.5 hrs, a hour for a cup of coffee to be brought!! the food was very poor and a complaint to the MD resulted in him being happy to tell us he fired the workers!!.To tell the truth the rooms and service would not have really mattered as the location was so lovely but it was the attitude of the management that was of concern. Our driver and the other drivers were really upset as they said they were treated very poorly and would not return. The Indian guests seemed to be well served and all had their food served hours before us foreigners so maybe it is that they seem to think foreign guests need to be treated differently, and that caused them difficulty.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank cathrynH
Ilkley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

remote location, miles on bumpy, narrow winding road from the town of Munnar. Poor services, untrained staff who have no idea what they are doing. Clever web site pictures - the 'swimming pool' is hardly more than a paddling pool. Room clean but not well appointed. Lots of garbage around the hotel. Owner blamed manager for the problems I encountered and manager didn't seem to care. Food poor and meal times changeable. No idea why trip advisor gave it a 4 star rating - it did not deserve it

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank lorelie f
Kochi (Cochin), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

I was there with my family for 2 days in the first week of January. The resort itself is located on the top of a hill, in midst stunning scenic beauty. The scenery is spectacular from all angles from the resort. As is located away from the town, it is extremely quiet, we submerged into the beautiful nature, lying in a hammock and listening to the sound of a nearby cascading waterfall. You can reach the Munnar town through Tata Letcmi tea estate road, and there you will find some of the best spectacular scenery in entire Munnar. All staff were very friendly, polite and helpful. The manager Anil was very much helpful, he arranged room delivery of food for us, since we were with the kid. And food is fresh, as they prepare only on order. We felt the food very tasty, no artificial flavoring ingredients and at a very reasonable rate. I believe they prepare the spices themselves, which gives the very traditional Kerala taste to the foods. The resort also has a swimming pool, which majority of resort in Munnar lacks. I have found some other 'resorts', near Munnar town, they are all just 'Lodges', will all all your money. If you want to have a relaxing, peaceful vacation in midst of thick greenery, do visit this place. We truly enjoyed a calm and pleasant vacation.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

Apart from the good views, this hotel is appalling. For starters it is at least 23km from Munnar, not 15 as claimed and it is not a good road. How it has a certificate of excellence from trip advisor, displayed in the reception office and dining room, beggars belief. The so called deluxe bedroom was small, and reminded my husband and I of a room in a brothal which we were once offered in the middle of the African bush. My husband found two hairs in the bed, so it was obvious that the sheets had not been changed. There was also only one thin blanket and it is cold at night in January, When I asked for another was given a grubby bed cover. There were no towels, so again when I enquirer I was told to wait as they were drying. No hot water in the shower, so we had to make do with a tap and bucket. Waited nearly an hour for two drinks and dinner was eventually served at 9.45pm. The staff, particularly the manager did not seem to care a jot and were positively rude. We were booked for two nights but checked out the next day after a.sleepless night on a rock hard mattress and were more than willing to pay extra to stay somewhere more comfortable and friendly. The rest of our trip in Munnar was great.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple