Camelot Resort
US$147
US$101
US$85
  • Breakfast included
Munnar Tea Country Resort(Chithirapuram)
US$154
US$108
US$148
US$136
The Fog Resort & Spa(Chithirapuram)
US$224
US$158
US$106
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Wild Elephant Eco Friendly Resort(Munnar)(Great Value!)
US$99
US$69
Agoda.com
US$55
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshis wifeorganic farmluxury roomclouds cominggod's own countrybeautiful view of the mountainsbeyond wordstea plantationheaven on earthgreen surroundingstravel agentflora and faunamunnar townideal placehome away from homehomely atmospherewonderful experience
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 June 2011

Read few reviews on tripadvisor, the latest review on April 15th gave me courage to book Camelot Resort Munnar, and i don't regret the choice we made. booked 3 nights thru clear trip (that was a biggest mistake i did booking thru clear trip).

The travels person told us that it would take 14 hours to reach Munnar. After 11 hours over night journey by bus from Bangalore the bus halted, i looked out of the window but the place nowhere looked like the misty Munnar, we were told we had reached Cumbum and a tempo traveler would take us thru the ghat road to Munnar. so after about 4 hours of lush green winding ghat roads which made few of the fellow travelers throw up we reached Munnar Town (luckily my wife who has a history of throwing up when traveling on winding roads didn't throw up).

Before booking the resort i had done my research and so i knew that Camelot was 8 kms from the Munnar town. Got off the TT and were surrounded by jeep and auto-rickshaw drivers wanting to take us to our resort. i was told by one driver that auto-rickshaw would cost us Rs 350 to take us to Camelot coz the road was steep and bad. i asked for Rs 150 and no one was ready to take us so i increased to Rs 200 and a few drives came forward to negotiate to 250, my wife was tired and i was in no mood to bargain and we settled at Rs 250 . few Jeep drivers told us that the auto would not be able to negotiate the steep approach road leading to the resort. but we took a chance with the auto coz the Jeep was costing us Rs 500 which i felt was way too much to cover 8 kms.

after 40 mins of bumpy auto-rickshaw ride the auto took a deviation leading to the approach road to the resort. this is a path with medium sized granite boulders and mud which had become a very steep bumpy and narrow road. The jeep drivers words had now begun to haunt me :-) but to my surprise the diesel auto-rickshaw slowly but steadly began the steep climb. there were patches of cemented path way and the auto pulled along well. we crossed a small little bridge and then began the steepest climb, the auto just gave up and the driver had to slam the breaks to hold the vehicle from rolling back down. we were asked to get off the vehicle n walk up the steep road for about 75 meters to the entrance of the resort when he drove the vehicle with our luggage. which i felt was ok considering terrain and the skill of the driver to get the vehicle so far.

So, if you take an auto to get to Camelot from Munnar town, pay not more than Rs 250 and be mentally prepared to walk up the steep road for about 75 to 100 meters. (we both were in our late 20's so it din bother us much but if you have aged parents or people on the bulkier side it can become an issue.)

We forgot all about the tiering climb when we saw the mist covered Resort and the beautiful garden with colorful flowers. it looked like the "resort in the clouds".
The reception was warm a the staff showed us to our Deluxe room which was not very big and spacious but is neat and cozy with a great view of the garden and the tea plantation below.

Room - The view from the room is awesome. Room was well furnished with a double bed (i felt the matress was a little hard) with clean sheets, a table n chair, TV with tata sky connection, 2 bed lamps, cupboard with few hangers and an extra blanket. Room room has a small sit-out with 2 cane chairs. Bath room was neat and clean, hot water available at will as the bathroom is fitted with gas geyser (shower works great). a thermos jug and an Electric jug available in the room to heat drinking water and an emergency lamp to use during power cuts which are not that frequent and does not last more that 15 mins. has goodknight liquid mosquito repellents. Room and bathroom was cleaned daily but sheets and covers were changed on alternate days (i'd prefer it to be cleaned daily)

Food - both veg and non-veg are avaliable (non veg a bit pricey), food is tasty and reasonably priced considering the distance from the town. Breakfast was complimentary serving different dishes on different days. Corn flakes, Idily, dosa, Appam, Bread toast with jam and egg omelet.

Orders for lunch and dinner have to be placed at least an hour before you would like to have them delivered. I had no complaints about the quantity, taste and pricing of the dishes we ordered for lunch and dinner. Food is served hot to your room or served in the restaurant as per your preference.

Attractions - if you are kind of person who will spend very little time in the resort and rather spend your time sight seeing, i would recommend not to check into Camelot unless you have your own vehicle (that can make the steep climb). I am person who not a big fan of going sightseeing. i was looking for a place to get away from the crowd and noise of Bangalore and trust me Camelot is the perfect getaway. But as per my wife's wishes i approached the reception for 1 day sightseeing which included a visit to a Dam, a lake (boating), Tea museum, a forest safari etc which we could not complete in a day (coz i din want to hurry and miss the beauty). According to me there is nothing too WOW about the sightseeing except for the beautiful mist covered landscape and a great driver of the indica who was more than a driver, a very humble and courteous man who also took on the role of a guide explaining things and helped us by bargaining in our shopping. he had amazing knowledge of (right from seeding to the processing) the tea plantations and other spices that grow there. The day long sightseeing burned a Rs 2100 hole in my pocket. if you ask me its better to skip it if you are a nature lover. my two cents, just stay back at the resort explore the surroundings and unwind.

You can ask Mr Dileep to take you on a trek in the morning, which i feel will be worth it. i was not able to go on a trek coz there were early morning showers and my wife was freaking out coz she had couple of leached cling to her feet when we took a walk in the tea garden after a little rain shower. (it helps to carry some salt if you plan to go on a trek) . We instead went to a water fall which is about 6 kms (need a vehicle to get there) from the resort. its more like a private water fall and there was no one around but for the two of us and the driver who went back to his car after showing us the spot. water and the surroundings were clean. we had a good time playing in the water and taking pictures.

Staff - Selva and Kumar, just to name a few from the staff were very hospitable and ready to help with any thing we needed. Mr Dileep the owner of the resort is a very friendly and helpful man.

Entertainmet - The resort has an entertainment room with a good table tennis table with good TT rackets and balls. My wife and i played TT everyday and she has become a pretty good player in a matter of 4 days :-), a carom boards (with all the pawns) a decent library furnished with sofas to sit and read a book. the views thru the huge glass windows from the entertainment room is stunning.

Overall we had a great and unforgettable getaway in the heart of nature.
im glad i chose Camelot against other resorts in Munnar. i would highly recommend this if you/your family like solitude, love nature and do nothing but kick back and unwind.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nastyhuby
Reviewed 15 April 2011

I love this resort! This was our first time to Kerala and Munnar and we didn't know what to expect as it was packaged with a travel agent. When we arrived at the peak where Camelot is situated, we were stunned by the spectacular view..Rolling hills with tea plantations and low lying mist! We were very warmly welcomed by the staff and shown to our rooms which were in the "luxury" category and at the top of a slope. The rooms are very clean and large, complete with beverage facilities and a great shower system! Best of all, the balcony looks out to the hills and spectacular sunsets! At night, it's breathtaking as the grounds are transformed into a magical wonderland of fireflies twinkling.. It's really an amazing sight! The food is very good and reasonably priced so all our meals were on site and the staff are extremely attentive and obliging. The owner of the resort is a very warm and hospitable man called mr dileep n he brought us on a trek through the tea plantation where we saw pepper, coffee and various spice plants. Thank you for the experience!
We had a fabulous stay at Camelot and I would definitely visit again and highly recommend it!

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank Helena2911
Reviewed 9 November 2010

This is the first place I visited after my marriage and I would describe the location and Resort as marvelous. Though the resort is staying bit far from the town I would say it is best because its in the middle of the tea Gardens. There is no proper road to the resort but its worth staying there. As Munnar is famous for tea gardens, I can say you will have enjoy the tea gardens just by staying in this resort. we reached late night to the resort and the next day morning when I woke up at 6, all the tea gardens around are partially covered with snow and that was a breath taking view.

Even the staff and service is good. The food is so tasty and we enjoyed the kerala food a lot. I would surely recommend this resort to all who are planning to visit munnar.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank istamshreya
Reviewed 9 November 2010

I stayed in Camelot with my family for 2 nights and 3 days and we enjoyed the complete stay at this Resort, Especially i want to mention about Mr.Dileep who is very friendly and very loving nature which made us happy. And the food is awesome, In fact I have been searching for such place and finally found this beautiful resort located in top of the hill with fantastic scenery around. You can hear the different bird songs in this calm location, I want to recommend 100% this place to everyone. You will not be disappointed. Have a good trip.

Thanks

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 October 2009

We stayed 3 nights (perhaps a night too many) in Camelot and it was fine; we were in one of the bungalows (which unfortunately had a neighbor right next door for the first night); the bed was comfy, view lovely and water hot. It is totally isolated, in fact the rickshaw couldn't make it up the last leg of the hill, but nature is what we wanted and the walks around the hotel were magical (beware of leeches in the tea plants). I would say - go for a night or two to take in the view and nature. All in all not great but not too bad.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple