“OMG” 2 of 5 bubbles

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“OMG”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

When I read the other reviews of this place on TripAdvisor, I thought to myself, never mind, I'll go there, & I'll give it a rave review. Did not so happen. :(
My husband is a numismatics enthusiast, & I too, am "interested". What we found disappointing about this place are as follows:
1. Really small collection. My husband says, "I, an individual collector have a bigger stash." I almost agree.
2. "Not real" ... I or other lay persons can be easily amazed by replicas. Diligent, careful replicas. THEY ARE NOT.They have stored *photographs* of coins on display - proudly! That was such a letdown :(
3. USeless information. The only information available with the coins (or replicas. or photos) on display is the rough period, the rough region of discovery, & "who donated it". Okay, I agree it is important to acknowledge & credit, but is it all important? My husband was expecting to find guidelines as to how each coin is identified to be what it is. Just imagine.
Had this been an individual collection, or that looked after by a trust ... I would have called it admirable. This is totally not expected of a Govt MUSEUM in a city which houses a mint ....

Visited February 2014
8 Thank dedestined

Mumbai
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Nothing much ado!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

With an entry fee pegged at Rs.10 per head, we were a little bit disappointed with the artefacts stored inside. Quite a few of them were replicas of original coins dating back to the Mughal era & prior to that. This can certainly be skipped over other destinations should you be running short on time.

Visited December 2013
4 Thank shrinivas77
Nashik, India
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A must visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

Such a lot of old coins in place is a brillinat thing. We suddenly discovered quite a few ancient coins that we thought never existed. must visit

Visited October 2013
1 Thank KajoriLad
Mumbai (Bombay), India
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“A pit stop and nothing more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

Easily accessible and identifiable on the way to the famous temple in the area. It is surprising in some ways - the ten rupee entry fee, the cleanliness and organisation of the walls, the photograph collection. It boasts of some rare coins from Mughal times, South Indian rulers, and Rupee notes from 19th century. Nothing spectacular but interesting. It has so much potential to be better, e.g, replacing so many print out replicas with real stuff. Can be an amusing half hour to spend with kids and family.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Lvlakshman2008
Aldona, India
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“A memorable visit to a one of a kind Museum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

Indian Institute of Research in Numismatic Studies on Trimbakeshwar road has a Money museum, a one of a kind in Asia. We felt enlightened learning about Indian money history.
They have a miniature replica of ancient indian Mint of the Mughal period and 2 other such miniatures showing minting process, during different periods of Indian history.
There is a section called funny money, counterfeit money. Funny money had interesting types of coins from various places of the world. Counterfeit money existed right since the time of Kautilya. The museum also had a display of the photography works of renowned artist K.G. Maheshwari and the accolades he received which included a number of medals and trophies. The display was a good inspiration for a amateur like me

Visited September 2012