“You get what you pay for”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Amritsar
Tourist Guest House
Ranked #47 of 140 Amritsar B&B and Inns
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Its basic, the rooms arent really clean, its very noisy being right next to the train tracks, its away from the golden temple in a very dodgy area....if your penny pinching and in a group its ok but I was a solo female and didnt feel safe at all...plus you need to pay about Rs 40-50 to get to the golden temple (which is AMAZING) so I would pay that bit extra and stay around the golden temple...

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We had a good time here @ Tourist guest house. For the price, 400 rupees a night, we stayed for 4 nights. Our room was basic with a washroom, and the bed was surprisingly comfortable and we had clean sheets. The management seemed friendly and helpful to us. We hired a rickshaw through them for 450 rupees to visit Wagah border. Definitely a must-see! Internet connection was good here @ 45 rupees an hour. It was not too far from the golden temple although we took a cycle rickshaw mostly everywhere. It was only 20 rupees usually to get around. Riding in the rickshaws was part of the experience we enjoyed. The food was okay, good for breakfast. We were happy here, backpacker friendly.

Room Tip: Behind the building is a train track so you can hear passing trains going by and honking horns. Our...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank livelovebackpack
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 25 January 2012

stayed there for one night only, for there was really much in Amritsar except the golden temple. the hotel itself, have varying amount of rooms, from the cheapest 175rs room with no toilet to 250 ensuite single. good value in my opinion, considering there are actually running hot water and the room is actually very spacious. owner is friendly, down to earth, and can give excellent advice on the seemingly boring amritsar.

downside is that is just along the train tracks, so horns from trains can get a little noisy when they are passing. it is also considerably far away from the golden temple itself, though i manage to walk there without much fuss.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 26 December 2011

I think that being in the Lonely Planet guidebook has meant they charge more than similar places in town. The rooms are large and many have attached bathrooms, but they weren't very clean. The bathroom did have a hot shower though, which counts as a bonus in a budget guest house! The service was friendly enough but a bit sketchy depending on who was working. Being on a main road meant it is noisy at night, but it is only a 5 minute walk to the town so fairly convenient.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the ground floor at the rear of the property - this will be quieter than the other...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Stayed for two nights in sept 2011. Three of us got a room for 500 rupees a night, should have bargained them down! The room was clean with high ceilings, an air cooler that was noisy but took the edge off. Nice roof to sit on and the staff were helpful when we had train ticket issues. The third bed we got was rubbish tho - 1 cm thick mattress.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank annarpo
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2011

The place itself is a short walk from the train station, but that does put you a bit out the way from the Old Town of Amritsar, where everything seems to be happening, and the walk there isn't too pleasant.
I got a single room with shared bathroom. There was no hot water, my window was missing glass, so the wind blew in, and my hard bed had stained sheets. Take your sleeping bag! I guess you get what you pay for when its 175 a night.
Food there is pretty overpriced, 40 rupees just for plain rice! I took a walk down the road directly in front of the hotel, and found a local night market, where I bought loads of tasty treats, all for less than the cost of boring rice.

This is the first time I have posted a review online but my parting memory with the Hotel wasn't that great. I had to get a 5am bus to Pathankot the next morning, and the gatekeeper had locked the front gate. I had to wake him up to get out, and when he got to the gate, he demanded 10 rupees before he would open it. I had no small bills, and when showing the man this he realized his sneaky plan wouldn't work and 'let me go'. Not too good, considering there are so many better places nearer the Golden Temple, or even in it if you fancy it.
All in all, give this place a miss

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Amritsar hotels

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 22 October 2010

The surly manager was rude and unhelpful. The train ticket he booked for me (after repeatedly asking and pointing out the sign that said they booked train tickets!) was a much lower class than i asked for (and paid for!). He refused to help me get a taxi
(again something the posters say they will do) telling me to 'Walk down the road for a while and you'll find one.'

The room was dirty, had cockroaches and the bed linen was stained and smelled stale. The bathroom had rubbish on the floor and the floor was covered in other peoples body hair.

A disgusting, disappointing waste of money.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo