“Civilised oasis”

Ranked #9 of 96 Hotels in Amritsar
Long buckby
“Civilised oasis”
Reviewed 17 May 2013

What a welcome was this hotel, we couldn't wait to get in the pool, which had spa facilities, some of the jacuzzi areas were out of order but we had the whole pool to ourself.
The rooms were very clean and comfortable.
Food in the hotel was first class as was the massage suite.
Next door was a shopping mall, to be quite honest not worth bothering with

Room Tip: Go for a suite if you can stretch to it
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager661, General Manager at Hyatt Amritsar, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Greetings from Hyatt Amritsar!

At the onset, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and sharing your feedback on the same. I am very glad to learn that you had a wonderful and comfortable stay with us. Your feedback with regards to the Jacuzzi has been noted and discussed with the person concerned and I assure you that such an inconvenience will not be repeated in future. Your compliments have been passed on to the Chefs and the Spa therapists whom you felt deserved recognition for the services provided to you during your short stay with us.
I and my team look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Amritsar and assuring you the best attention at all the times.

Bhagwan Balani

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 16 May 2013

We stayed here when it was Ista Amritsar.
This hotel was just as you would expect a 4/5 star hotel to be. It didnt disapoint in any way.
Furnishings all high quality, on par with western standards. Room was beautiful, very clean and very large. Bathroom was decorated in beautiful marble. Room equipt with minibar, Phone, Tea and coffee making facilities, safe and flat screen TV . There were robes and slippers in the wardrobe
Staff were friendly and each one greeted you with a smile.
Location was great. Close to the bus station. The hotel shuttle bus dropped and collected us from the Golden Temple free of charge.
It was approximatelty an hour from the pakistani border and the hotel helped us arrange our day trip to the daily ceremony.
Food was great also.
The pool was spectacular and there were attended changing rooms where you were provided with towels.
Couldnt fault the hotel in the slightest.
Would definitely stay here again. Worth every penny!!!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Greetings from Hyatt Amritsar!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us sharing your valuable feedback. I am glad to learn that you had a comfortable stay with us and found all the furnishings to be of high quality and rooms to be clean. Your compliments have been passed on to the team whom you felt deserved recognition for the services provided to you during your short stay with us. Thank you for sharing such a motivational feedback.
I and my team look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Amritsar and assuring you best services at all the times.

indore india
Reviewed 15 May 2013

A very nice hotel well located near by golden temple next to a good mall w else u want u enjoy this good place for golden temple and relaxation also
Rooms r very nice only problem I noticed was little bit w the front desk they r very nice they want to help but can be trained more in a better manner but prerana from front desk was very good I saw the bell desk combined w front desk first time
Food is very nice we enjoyed a lot and a very good service from mohan and ashutosh we enjoyed their gym also but nobody was there to help us
If we sort some small issues it is really best place to stay

Room Tip: Any one take their basic rooms also its very nice
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
G M, General Manager at Hyatt Amritsar, responded to this review, 6 June 2013

Greetings from Hyatt Amritsar!

At the outset, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us at Hyatt and taking out the time in evaluating our product and services. I am glad to learn that you had a comfortable stay with us and found the room to be quite comfortable. Your feedback with regards to the team to be trained more has been noted and discussed with the Training Manager and I assure you that you will definitely see a difference on your next visit.

Your compliments have been passed on to Prerna, Mohan , Ashutosh and to the chefs (for the delicious food) whom you felt deserved recognition for the services provided to you during your short stay with us. I am very thankful to you for such a positive feedback as such comments are very motivating for my team.

I and my team look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Amritsar.

Paris, France
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Excellent check-in, nice service, good rooms -though smallish. No wifi in the rooms is unacceptable though -though they say it's going to come as Hyatt just purchased the property. Good business centre with excellent privacy -though charging for internet connections is unacceptable. Location in the middle of nowhere, next to a mall -not nice!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Subhrajit B, General Manager at Hyatt Amritsar, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Greetings from Hyatt Amritsar!

At the onset, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us at Hyatt Amritsar and taking out your valuable time to share the feedback. I am glad to learn that you had a wonderful stay and enjoyed staying with us. Your feedback with regards to the wifi not being complimentary has been noted and we are working on the same.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Amritsar.
Warm Regards,
Subhrajit Bardhan
Shillong, Meghalaya
Reviewed 13 May 2013

This was my second stay at this property. The earlier stay was when it was still known as Ista. I was awed by the hospitality they provided then. I was overwhelmed by their hospitality now! The place is beautiful, well maintained and flawlessly clean. Every single employee greets you with a smile. They go out of their way to help you. The rooms are spacious, clean and smell great. The bed caresses you and hugs you. The bathrooms, even though a little constrained for space, are clean and well done. The buffet is superb for b'fast and excellent for dinner. Only issue, if I may call it so, are the doors to their bathrooms in the guest rooms. Could have been better but no complains! Already planning a next visit to Amritsar, just to stay at this property.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Greetings from Hyatt Amritsar!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us! We are delighted to read your great comments about our hotel and are happy to know we were able to deliver to you the Hyatt service standards we pride ourselves on. However, I am disappointed to read your feedback about the bathroom door; was there anything in particular that you would like to bring to my attention? Thank you for your positive feedback on various aspects of our hotel particularly our breakfast and dinner buffet and our unique mattress in the room. We look forward to welcome you back soon.
Do visit us on Facebook and stay up to date on event calendars, exclusive offers, destination tips and more

india
Reviewed 11 May 2013

We are continuously looking for week ends tour...Amritsar was long over due and so we booked our reservations by 'Shatabdi train' ( leaves morning 7 am) New Delhi. Tried looking at trip advisor for hotel information and settled at Hyatt. Unfortunately some of the reviews on Trip advisor were negative for Hyatt so was little nervous...anyways booked online on hotel website and mailed to the Hyatt desk n my arrival plans...To my good surprise got a reply quite soon on a welcome note..That satisfied me and some of the nervousness was gone..

Hyatt is a little on the far end of the city on the GT road but its next to a famous mall...which everyone knows..so directing the taxi was not difficult..takes around 20-25 minutes from station to reach the hotel. the welcome desk was courteous ...a team of young men in black with a cherry smile..the executive handling me even more polite and was a great relief..( now this is a tip to all hoteliers around the world...keep the front desk executives very polite and smiling ..that will be a great asset for your hotel ).
He even escorted me to the lift and answered all my queries..The room was good ( Hyatt standard)..we have requested a front facing room but we were offered back facing..neverthless we were able t get some view of the city ends, which was good if not excellent.
We have reached at 2 pm to the hotel ..after a quick rest we were on the move to visit Wagah border...Do remember to have your taxis booked as the hotel is off the city and if u are late at night u may face some problem..however there is 'Meru' taxi service ( get the number from the front desk) and one can reach the hotel easily.
The next morning we were ready fr our complimentary breakfast...compared to the front desk the restaurant executive lacked warmth ( pourqoui ??)but were prompt in their services...
The breakfast was good with south Indian, north Indian ..but we didn't find any Kulchas..( 'Kulchas' is a famous dish of Amritsar eaten with spicy peas ) ) ( i would request all hoteliers to have always the local dish in your menu card ) ...Many of the cheese were marked non -veg ,which surprised me and when i reported this to the executive .he apologized for the error and corrected...any particular dish i liked ..wud recommend one south Indian dish 'Pongal' and one other delicacy on the same table. Parathas were good too..
Finally it was time to take a dip in the swimming pool which is on the first floor....around 4.5ft deep water...i also tried a quick stress buster session in the hotel spa services which was good...

Overall it was nice experience...I would recommend to all without any second thought...
Small advice to hotel: keep the greenery near swimming pool meshed as the leaves keep falling in water and i was really frightened by the glimpse of a waivery leaf moving fast towards me and sticking me around leg..i literally ran out of the swimming pool ) ...

Room Tip: I prefer front rooms but i think all rooms are airy and present some view..
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank asheesh S

Greetings from Hyatt Amritsar!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us! We are delighted to read your great comments about our hotel and are happy to know that you had a very comfortable and enjoyable stay with us. We have made a note on the feedback about the breakfast meeting your expectation while also the mention about Kulchas, which we place on a few days only instead of the parathas. We will surely work on the landscaping around the pool to ensure our guests are more comfortable and do not get affected by the leaves dropping. My team joins me in thanking you for your positive feedback on various aspects of our hotel and also for recommending our hotel to your acquaintances.
We look forward to welcome you back soon.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I would like to highlight a serious life threatening situation we had to encounter during our recent stay at the Hyatt, Amritsar.

We were staying at the Hyatt Amritsar after spending 6 days at other scenic hotels in North India. On our first day at the Hyatt, my 4 year old daughter, my wife and I were stuck in the elevator at Hyatt Amritsar on May 3 for a period of 26 minutes. On realising that the lift was stationary and unable to open either, we pressed the to alarm button. It took several minutes for the hotel staff to even acknowledge the same. Later, after another several minutes, we heard from some of the hotel staff from outside that they are trying to reset the lift and get us out. In the meanwhile, all lights in the lift including the emergency ones went off. This happened on 2 to 3 occassions. You can imagine how traumatic that can be for a four year old child who is already stuck in the lift for approx 10 min by then.

On asking how long it would take, the response from the Hotel staff was we don't know, it will be soon and that we are trying our best, including getting specialists from the lift company to come over. That really got us in a panic state as what the staff said was not really assuring. In the meanwhile, someone asked for our cell no and again it took several minutes for someone to even call us. All what they reiterated is what was said before ie it will be soon and we are trying our best. Finally we demanded that the fire brigade be called but the response was that we are trying to get you out soon. By then it was about 20 min plus - i demanded that i wanted to speak to the General Manager. After a couple of minutes, someone responded that he was the General Manager Mr Balani and that they would get us out soon (again not re-assuring!). Finally, after about 26 minutes of severe agony, we were escorted out of the elevator by the hotel staff who manually pulled open the doors. All through this period, my wife and I were also severly traumatized but held our fort to avoid the risk of our 4 year old panicking.

What was an absolute shocker was that Mr Balani, the General Manager said to us that he sorted the issue and got us out in 2 minutes of his arriving at the scene by getting the staff to get the emergency keys and manually pulling the doors open! It appeared that the staff were unaware of the process to deal with such situations. He also defended that there was no role for fire brigade in such situations - a total cover up to avoid the authorities to know about the situation.

The point i want to drive here is that there is a certain level of standard we all expect from 5 star hotels - health and safety being the most prominent. This incident has left us with a bad scar on our memory and i can feel the anxiety on my wife's face everytime she enters a lift. It also ruined the fond memories from an otherwise fantastic vacation.

Incidents can happen anywhere but people need to be trained to deal with them. Here looks like that there were no standard operating procedures. Resetting a faulty elevator to me is a bad idea - basics of safety state that in the event of danger avoid the elevators -not try to restart them!

The hotel general manager kept offering waive off the first night charge as a token for the trauma caused to us every time we spoke about the incident. I asked him whether that would erase the incident from my memory for which he had no answer. The least i thought they would have offered is to waive off the charges for my 2 day stay - which i would have possibly donated to some charity.

The hotel is other wise a great property, service was good, staff was very hospitable and met all standards of a great 5 star hotel. Barring this incident i would have rated it at 5 stars - but there is no compromise when it comes to Heath and Safety.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe pool facing room - it was a bit noisy as it faced the motor way and the room size wa...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Himanshu S
Dear Mr Shah,

Greetings from Hyatt Amritsar!

At the onset, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking out your valuable time to share your feedback during the stay and also through mails exchanged with you and your wife. Please accept my sincere apologies for the unfortunate incident that you, your wife and daughter experienced. This incident is deeply regrettable. The safety and security of our guests is of paramount importance to us. At the same time we are happy that you and your family were not injured, and the Hotel's engineering team was successfully able to manually open the doors of the elevator and get you and your family out while being in communication with you over your mobile, as well as the intercom system installed in the elevator to continuously check for your well-being. I would like to assure you that your feedback has been taken with utmost seriousness and the elevator company who has manufactured and is maintaining the same on a regular basis checked all elevators on the same day.
I request you to give us another chance to make up for this experience of yours by visiting us once again and allow us to serve you better.
I and my team look forward to an opportunity from your end.
Apologies once again.