“Good location, large and clean rooms”
Review of Hotel 42 Amritsar

Hotel 42 Amritsar
Ranked #95 of 100 Hotels in Amritsar
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We stayed two nights. The room was large and clean, with comfortable beds. Everything worked, including the lovely AC, which we really appreciated after long, hot days of sightseeing. The location is good - right on the Mall. The Ritz Hotel nearby has a good bar and there are plenty of food places around.

The hotel restaurant was deserted, which is always a bad sign. When we asked at reception for directions to the Crystal Restaurant, which friends had recommended, we were told that it was a terrible place and that we were better off eating in the hotel restaurant. We declined and made our own way to Crystal, which was great. I accept that the owner is trying to bring in business to his restaurant, but refusing to give directions to another restaurant is going too far.

Breakfast was OK, but as others have noted, it was painfully slow. We were told that it would be available from 8:30am and we arrived at 8:45am. Nothing was available. We finally got something to eat by 9:10am, which meant that we had to rush our food so that we could meet our schedule. I don't think it's too much to ask a hotel to serve a buffet breakfast before 9am.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Stourton1582

Reviewed 29 November 2011

Just walked into this hotel in the afternoon without having done any research as the regular hotel at Amritsar was sold out. The hotel is located right on the mall road & is at an acceptable distance from the pillars of Amritsar, namely the food joints ( the kulcha wala, the puri longi wala, makhan fish, beera chicken etc). Opted to stay at this property as it was conviniently located for the work that I had at Amritsar. The rooms are wonderfully done & are quite clean & presentable but then thats just it. The service of the hotel is pathetic & even the attitude of the staff is quite rude at times. On the day of check in at about 3:00 P.M. I enquired from the room service if I could get food. The same was answered in the affirmative stating that chilly chicken & chowmein could be done up in 20 minutes. As I was famished I ordered the same, however the same did not come until 4:15 P.M. when I reminded the room service guy of the order. The reply received was a simple & curt not available. The routine was repeated at dinner time when the calls to the room service was transferred to a large number of people who seemed that they were just not willing to serve. However the worst was reserved for the breakfast when the service was in a total mess & everyone was shouting at the waiters as even tea could not be served by them for 45 minutes. Thus to sum up you should be prepared to go hungry if you do not want to venture out for food as the reply from the room service is " bread is not available" Tandoor is not working" & similar other excuses.
The hotel has a parking at its basement which require quite a bit of driving skill as it is very steep & has a pillar right at the end. You just cant expect vallet service & infact even the shutter of the basement shall have to be opened by you when you want to drive out.
The toileteries in the bathroom was extremely basic...just 2 mysore sandal soap.
The check out too was quite a hassle as I was promised a net rate at the time of check in but then I found that luxury tax & service tax has been added to the promised tariff. The hotel also charged a retention money of half the tariff for a late check out at 2 P.M. when the entire hotel was empty.
Thus had a pretty bad experience although to be fair to the hotel the rooms are done up nice but then one feels hungry & requires basic services even in the most beautiful of places.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank vinayMumbai
Reviewed 13 November 2011

We stayed at Hotel 42 on our first visit to Amritsar, and there are absolutely no regrets whatsoever. The hotel is located on a posh street and near to the shopping destinations of the city. It is just slightly far from the Golden Temple, but not too much.

The hotel's owner Mr. Sahil Pawa is a thorough gentleman who not only welcomed us personally, but also ensured that our stay and room were well taken care of. Staff of the hotel is helpful and even sourced an auto for us to be taken to the railway station!

We did not have the food here, but from what I have heard, their paranthas are definitely delicious. I would surely recommend this hotel for the budget traveller to Amritsar. Despite the VFM proposition, the hotel maintains top-class quality. Their rooms and esp. beds were quite comfortable. I would definitely stay here on my next visit to the city!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2011

I was there with my family on 14 & 15 th august with jeet travels I and I dont regret a bit for it rooms are good ,spacier and bright with clean rest rooms location is good and staff is quite helpfull and only drawback in this hotel is breakfast starts late after 8.30-9 so if you are early riser you need to make your own arrangements.

Room Tip: Take room from 2nd floor onwards
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank chiragm1
Reviewed 9 September 2011

I was there at the hotel on krishna janmanstami day on 22nd aug and stayed here for 1 night as suggested by Jeet Travels,Amritsar.Good Deal but Liitle bit on the higher tarriff as compared to other hotels.Persons at reception as great people.
Cosy rooms with good ambience and furnishing.Many of the room lights bulbs were fused. Bathroom basin & shower pipeline was choked & water accumulated soon which was filthy.
Very Bad Room Service though as i asked for drinking water at night and got it next morning after repeated calls. Service boy didn't even bothered to say "Sorry" even.

Located around 3 kms from golden temple & jallianwala bagh but a good area for shoppers. Complimentary basic buffet breakfast included.
OVERALL A GOOD HOTEL....

Room Tip: Get rooms on the 1st floor
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DEEPAK S
Reviewed 23 November 2010

I Had initially booked my accommodation with another hotel in Amritsar but later changed to this hotel on advice of some local person in Amritsar. I really thank him for suggesting this wonderful Hotel. This hotel is located on the Mall Road in Amritsar. It is slightly away from the Golden temple. But then the advantage of this is that the hotel is quite calm.

Overall the hotel is excellent. It is newly built and was just around 5 months old when I Had travelled. The interiors of the hotel are quite decent. The room I Stayed in was on the first floor and was quite spacious. The hotel staff I believe are well trained. They were very hospitable. I mean i did not need or get any spectacular service but small words before checkout like "It was our pleasure to have you here" is what made a difference.

The only drawback of the hotel was that the food in the hotel is very very expensive. But then in Amritsar you really don't want to have food in the Hotel Do you?. I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Amritsar.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank TaintedBlue
Reviewed 20 November 2010

Yesterday we guys were at this place to check out the much awaited hotel 42 . It was a great experience located at a prime place just next to the shopping hub of the city
It is very near from airport, railway station and Golden Temple

The hotel has a great interior and rooms have been designed to give you a nice sleep , though not a big place but still nice to stay at .

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family