“excellent value, warm welcome”

Hotel Hong Kong Inn
Ranked #5 of 96 Hotels in Amritsar
Overijse, Belgium
“excellent value, warm welcome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

There is in fact not much one can find fault with this hotel which is very fairly priced.
Having previously done our research of hotels, we understood that the hotels next to the Golden temple seem to have rather small rooms. Although we only stayed one night, we preferred to walk a bit and have more space. Excellent choice.
Positive: warm welcome, rooms with tv, table and two comfortable chairs, table with mirror and chair, tea and coffee + cooker, excellent dark curtains (no one mentions them but I find that important). Having read that some rooms are quieter than others, we insisted on a very quiet room in the back. That was not foreseen for us but they happily switched. Touching was that the fruit (also free drinks and snacks) in the room was wrapped in alufolie, as well as the knife to cut it. It seems trivial but it gives a feeling of care and warmth. Overall, one had a feeling one was taken care of and one was. Transport is maybe not the cheapest but the difference makes up for the service, I guess.
We did not eat there (sandwich I ordered for breakfast was ok) but we ate in the restaurants recommended by the hotel and we got 15% off through them.
We were allowed to keep the room till our departure late afternoon and that was great.
One negative note maybe which could be avoided: the hotel is at walking distance from the station and yet it took our rickshaw driver nearly and hour and a half to find the place, asking around everywhere (by then we had seen every corner in Amritsar about three times).
We phoned the hotel, etc ... but our rickshaw man was I guess not the brightest. Anyway, be sure you know a place nearby (like the Crystal restaurant or a large hotel by the main road) and ask from there. It is about 20 mins walk to the temple and five mins to the station (we did it on foot with our luggage when leaving, had enough of rickshaws).
Our room was quiet and looked out on a nice back yard.
All in all, apart from the start with the rickshaw, a very good experience.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the back, far from kitchen and street, with windows to the back yard
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank laraBrussels
HongkongInn, Owner at Hotel Hong Kong Inn, responded to this review, 14 February 2014

Sat Shri Akaal !!!

Thanks for giving Compliment to my whole team. it will give more confidence to my team to serve every guest better. I look forward to see you more often.

Thanks.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

The other reviews are right, this place is excellent, especially considering the price. Clean and comfortable, with free soft drinks, tea & coffee making facilities, room heater, a/c and very helpful staff. Don't be put off by the scruffy alleyway, full of small hotels, persevere, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: The rooms above first floor have better natural light
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

New Delhi, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

I had booked the hotel solely based on Tripadvisor ratings for two days. Following are my mistakes:

1) Assuming that the dingy-lane location of the hotel wouldn't matter; it did.
2) Assuming food would bad reasonably priced, it wasn't

Pros:

1) Overall good location on Queens road.
2) Awesome service totally justifying the ratings
3) Excellent if not a tad overpriced traveling services
4) Allowed late checkout for one room
5) Decently priced

Cons:

1) Complete absence of windows in all rooms, it felt strangling for me
2) Extremely overpriced food, not great tasting
3) Located in a dingy lane (see pics)
4) Utter lie about 24 hour kitchen (we had asked for this in advance since we were travelling by the late night shatabdi)
5) Better and spacious washrooms were expected
6) Food bills not payable by card

I would definitely suggest places like Shiraj which have a better location instead of this one...

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Sat Shri Akaal !!!

Thanks for giving Compliment to my whole team.I assure you your comments are very important for us and I will view the same very seriously and take corrective action.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

This truly is a hidden gem. A lovely hotel hidden in a dark alley. From the moment I entered I was greeted by a friendly and smiling staff. The rooms are spacious and clean. The restaurant food is amazing, especially anything from the tandoor. The only cons are that (my room) had no natural light because it faced a brick wall and the hot water seldom worked.
Overall, I would 100% recommended this hotel :)

• Stayed February 2014
HongkongInn, Owner at Hotel Hong Kong Inn, responded to this review, 13 February 2014

Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

Loved this place. One of the best places I've stayed at in India - and it's because of the personal service and touches. From the fruit basket, welcome drink, free cookies and coke to the airport transfer and driver I felt well looked after. I had difficulties figuring out how to work my heater and front desk had someone at my door seconds after hanging up the phone. Very impressed and would stay again. Wifi in room was strong enough for video chatting on Skype.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jana L

New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

Decided on this hotel after reading numerous positive reviews about this hotel for our Amritsar trip during first week of Jan'2014. Booked a couple of double rooms (connected rooms) for our family of four. The check in was smooth and quick and the rooms were spacious and workable. We stayed for 2 nights and were fairly satisfied with the hotel. The positive points of this hotel are

1. They provided an early check in and allowed a late check out without any extra charge.
2. The front desk was manned by courteous, capable and well mannered staff.
3. They gave us a 15% discount coupon for a nice restaurant 'Bhrawan Da Dhaba' situated near the Golden Temple.
4. The front desk arranged a taxi for our Wagah trip and local sightseeing and were helpful in providing us information we required.

I would though, like to point out some minor quirks which need to be looked into

1. The room heaters of both the rooms were defective in the sense that they had a safety switch on the underside which kept switching the heater off throughout the night I had to get up out of the bed umpteen times to get it working again and again.
2. The wifi signal in our rooms was faint and not usable.
3. Both of our rooms were not provided with the complimentary assortment of coke/juice/cookies, etc. which was mentioned in the earlier reviews. They just provided the tea/coffee making supplies and a tiny pack of biscuits. The toiletries provided could also do a lot better.
4, The beds were too hard for my comfort.
5. The hotel is situated neither near the railway station nor the Golden Temple. You will have to take an auto-rickshaw for Rs. 100 every time you want to go either of the two places.

I hope the management keeps up the good work which will go a long way in keeping this hotel at the top of Tripadvisor rating ladder!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank RakeshGoyal1971
HongkongInn, Owner at Hotel Hong Kong Inn, responded to this review, 12 February 2014

Sat Shri Akaal !!!

Thanks for giving Compliment to my whole team. it will give more confidence to my team to serve every guest better.I assure you your comments are very important for us and I will view the same very seriously and take corrective action on your Feedback. Sir All the Assortment come in the package It Depends on your Package Which you have Taken That Assortment are there in between in that Package or not Includes. Our Hotel is Only 1 Km Away From Railway Station and 2 Kms Away From Golden temple.

Bhuj, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

The hotel is descent and guest friendly, its just at walking distance from the railway station. Good budget hotel for back packers who feels like dropping into a good descent hotel next to connectivity available.

Mr Kawaljit the booking staff is very co-operative, he took care of all 4 of us that we are making a good deal

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends