“Great hotel in its category, unlikely name”

Hotel Hong Kong Inn
Ranked #3 of 114 Hotels in Amritsar
Reviewed 20 February 2014

The welcome you get at a hotel is often a good indicator of the level of service you can expect and here it's top notch at reception and even better in the room, where there were complimentary Coke, biscuits, fruit, shampoo, soap, tea. coffee and even toothpaste. In addition, the room was spacious and had been heated for our arrival (in winter) and the telly was on. We checked in early, at no extra charge. There was no view to speak of, but we weren't really spending time there so it didn't matter. Staff are friendly, helpful and efficient, they speak good English and nothing at all is pushed on you (guiding services etc). Hong Kong Inn is clean too, and things work. Items requested (eg water...at shop prices) arrive promptly. On checking out, our bill for extras was rounded down, instead of up. It's a couple of kilometres' quite interesting walk (LOTS of trafffic for the first bit) to the Golden Temple - the hotel gave us a map, or tuk-tuks are available at the door (those waiting can be a bit pushy - maybe better to catch one at the end of the street). A few reviews comment on the 'dinginess' of the lane where the Hong Kong Inn is located, and it's true, but it's no big deal really (this is the sub-continent after all). The only suggestion for this hotel is to put a tips box near reception, for weekly distribution to service staff, for anyone who wants to leave something as they do a great job but it can be a bit tiresome to think you have to put your hand in your pocket every time one of the lads fetches (rapidly!) a bottle of water, or picks up a case. Overall this hotel does a great job.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room (this is someone else's tip I remembered when booking, and it worked for me...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
HongkongInn, Owner at Hotel Hong Kong Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Sat Shri Akaal !!!

Thanks for giving Compliment to my whole team. it will give more confidence to my team to serve every guest better. I look forward to see you more often.

Thanks.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,008)

Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two nights and were pleasantly surprised. The hotel staff are very friendly and gave us some great advice about things to see and do. As the hotel is down a side street it was quieter than a lot of hotels I stayed in in India, although it did take a long time for our taxi driver to find it at first. The rooms were clean and spacious and the freebies that others have mentioned were a nice touch. There isn't actually a restaurant in the hotel, but the room service food was tasty and reasonably priced, although it would have been nice not to eat in the room.
The only real downside of this hotel was the location. Although its just off a main street, there isn't an awful lot in the surrounding area, so you need a taxi or rickshaw to go anywhere. We booked the all day taxi through the hotel, which was very reasonably priced, but our driver just dropped us half a mile from the golden temple and pointed us in the right direction. It would have been nice to have an option to have more organised guide, as we felt we probably missed out on stuff by just aimlessly wandering round the sights.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
HongkongInn, Owner at Hotel Hong Kong Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Reviewed 14 February 2014

There is in fact not much one can find fault with this hotel which is very fairly priced.
Having previously done our research of hotels, we understood that the hotels next to the Golden temple seem to have rather small rooms. Although we only stayed one night, we preferred to walk a bit and have more space. Excellent choice.
Positive: warm welcome, rooms with tv, table and two comfortable chairs, table with mirror and chair, tea and coffee + cooker, excellent dark curtains (no one mentions them but I find that important). Having read that some rooms are quieter than others, we insisted on a very quiet room in the back. That was not foreseen for us but they happily switched. Touching was that the fruit (also free drinks and snacks) in the room was wrapped in alufolie, as well as the knife to cut it. It seems trivial but it gives a feeling of care and warmth. Overall, one had a feeling one was taken care of and one was. Transport is maybe not the cheapest but the difference makes up for the service, I guess.
We did not eat there (sandwich I ordered for breakfast was ok) but we ate in the restaurants recommended by the hotel and we got 15% off through them.
We were allowed to keep the room till our departure late afternoon and that was great.
One negative note maybe which could be avoided: the hotel is at walking distance from the station and yet it took our rickshaw driver nearly and hour and a half to find the place, asking around everywhere (by then we had seen every corner in Amritsar about three times).
We phoned the hotel, etc ... but our rickshaw man was I guess not the brightest. Anyway, be sure you know a place nearby (like the Crystal restaurant or a large hotel by the main road) and ask from there. It is about 20 mins walk to the temple and five mins to the station (we did it on foot with our luggage when leaving, had enough of rickshaws).
Our room was quiet and looked out on a nice back yard.
All in all, apart from the start with the rickshaw, a very good experience.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the back, far from kitchen and street, with windows to the back yard
1  Thank laraBrussels
HongkongInn, Owner at Hotel Hong Kong Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Reviewed 13 February 2014

The other reviews are right, this place is excellent, especially considering the price. Clean and comfortable, with free soft drinks, tea & coffee making facilities, room heater, a/c and very helpful staff. Don't be put off by the scruffy alleyway, full of small hotels, persevere, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: The rooms above first floor have better natural light
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 13 February 2014

I had booked the hotel solely based on Tripadvisor ratings for two days. Following are my mistakes:

1) Assuming that the dingy-lane location of the hotel wouldn't matter; it did.
2) Assuming food would bad reasonably priced, it wasn't

Pros:

1) Overall good location on Queens road.
2) Awesome service totally justifying the ratings
3) Excellent if not a tad overpriced traveling services
4) Allowed late checkout for one room
5) Decently priced

Cons:

1) Complete absence of windows in all rooms, it felt strangling for me
2) Extremely overpriced food, not great tasting
3) Located in a dingy lane (see pics)
4) Utter lie about 24 hour kitchen (we had asked for this in advance since we were travelling by the late night shatabdi)
5) Better and spacious washrooms were expected
6) Food bills not payable by card

I would definitely suggest places like Shiraj which have a better location instead of this one...

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Sat Shri Akaal !!!

Thanks for giving Compliment to my whole team.I assure you your comments are very important for us and I will view the same very seriously and take corrective action.

Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

This truly is a hidden gem. A lovely hotel hidden in a dark alley. From the moment I entered I was greeted by a friendly and smiling staff. The rooms are spacious and clean. The restaurant food is amazing, especially anything from the tandoor. The only cons are that (my room) had no natural light because it faced a brick wall and the hot water seldom worked.
Overall, I would 100% recommended this hotel :)

• Stayed: February 2014
HongkongInn, Owner at Hotel Hong Kong Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Loved this place. One of the best places I've stayed at in India - and it's because of the personal service and touches. From the fruit basket, welcome drink, free cookies and coke to the airport transfer and driver I felt well looked after. I had difficulties figuring out how to work my heater and front desk had someone at my door seconds after hanging up the phone. Very impressed and would stay again. Wifi in room was strong enough for video chatting on Skype.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo