Like many other reviewers chose this hotel based on earlier reviews & location close to Railway station. This was first trip in Punjab with my wife & we had planned this visit to taste local food, which was raved about.
We stayed for 3 nights after reaching Amritsar comfortably in Shatabdi from Delhi.
What we liked:
- Very close to railway station (less than 2 kms)
- Easy to move to Golden Temple area or to Lawrence road etc; we got auto at doorstep @5.00 am
- Close to road but still peaceful, you appreciate it after spending a day in Amritsar where Punjabi 'munde' prefer to express their emotions by continuous honking. Believe me that first time I felt that Mumbai was better
- Tasty food (we had only b/fast & one light dinner) & prompt service
- Friendly & helpful advice from reception on travel etc
- Good deal for price, as rooms are airconditioned, clean, peaceful, with basic toiletries, including water bottles
What's not good
- Hotel located in a very small ally & when you reach in night it seems a bit seedy with low light & auto drivers hanging on the corner of the ally
- Few things not working well, specially in bathroom - door lock not working (luckily from outside), shower curtains in odd position, leaking tap
- Corridor seems a bit dark & uncomfortable; the next room guy knocked at 11.30 pm thinking its his room & when I opened the door, without realising he took a step forward to get in 'his' room....he realised mistake when I stopped him with extended hand.
- Auto guys will fleece you if you take auto outside hotel
- if you are on low budget & travelling as guys go ahead to save some money but if you are travelling as couple & willing to spend more - find another hotel
- Rating is purely based on VFM against the cost (you get good deals online)
- Will we stay there again - we had no other regrets besides mentioned above but we have got used to comforts of life and would definitely prefer to stay in a better place but its individual choice
Some tips on hotel/Amritsar
- If you are stepping out during decent hour come out on road & find an auto (3 wheeler) or cycle rickshaw
- while going to old city, Cycle rickshaw is preferable as it can use Bandari pul 500 meters away but auto guys have to take a longer & more busy route as they are banned on it
- Negotiate with Auto guy as they are used to taking many passengers at same time so for hiring full auto they will try to quote higher amount. I always felt bad for cycle rickshaw guys so I paid whatever they asked (which was always a paltry amount compared to efforts)
- Don't miss Golden Temple & Wagah Border but for latter go on a working day & be ready to get jostled up. My personal view Durgiani Devi Temple can be avoided, unless you have lot of time on hand
Where to eat & what (limited information but first hand experience)
- Guru ka Langar (at Golden temple) this was eye opener what volunteering means & devotion where everyone treated same.
- Ahuja Lassi (Hindu College)- Guess this was best Lassi tasted so far - not too thick but very fresh
- Makan Fish (Majitha Road) - Don't miss their fish fry ...a bit costly but out of world
- Kulcha Land (Opp M K Hotel)- Crispy Kulchas like never before; Lassi is good too
- Gurdas Ram Jalebiwale (outside Golden temple - first left lane) - Best jalebis ever..fried in pure ghee
- Rajasthan Chaat (Opp Gurdas Ram) - Golgappe (made of suji & small size, perfect for eating) again best ever. I had two plates after trying another chat in same shop
- Mung Dal wada (near parking junction outside Golden Temple) - this is pure roadside food but amazing
Have given only the stuff which was superlative.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel near Golden Temple & Railway Station, 24 Hours Pick & Drop Service (Chargeable), Day & Night Unique Service, 47 Luxury Rooms & Suites, 24 Hours Veg Kitchen, Fully Air Conditioned, Free Wi-Fi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, HostelWorld, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Hong Kong Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.