“Pretty Night and Day but Hassle to See” 4 of 5 bubbles

Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Kentucky
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Pretty Night and Day but Hassle to See”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

We took a taxi here from our hotel both the night we arrived and the next morning. The place had a very different atmosphere and look at each time of day. I preferred the soft orange glow of the evening ambiance but would again see both if given the option on my first visit. The taxi could not drive to the temple. Instead they drop you off at a car park or more often outside the car park so they don't have to pay. What this means is that they are constantly moving to keep from getting ticketed, making it difficult to locate your driver upon return. I would suggest taking a picture of the car licensee and the driver. From the drop-off point, we walked in the general direction of the Temple, but were unable to see it until we were practically there. Once at the temple, the locals guard the entrance to ensure foreigners follow their expectations. I brought a scarf to wear over my head while inside, but the men outside the temple wouldn't even let me stand on the green carpet outside the entrance without putting it on (even though other Indian women did not have their heads covered and were standing even closer to the entrance). Also, we could not wear our shoes inside. I wasn't about to leave my shoes unattended outside. I soon learned that I wasn't allowed to even carry my shoes. I tucked them into my extra baggy pants (they were sandles) and pulled my extra baggy dress-like shirt over them, but even then, the local male "guards" asked me to leave. Therefore, my husband and I had to see the Temple separately, while the other babysat shoes. This made for a stressful, less-than-pleasant visit. The marble, art, architecture, and gold make for a unique site. Its worth the hassle for a one or two time visit, if you can see the temple both at night and in daylight. Every visitor should prepare to cover their shoulders, bring a scarf for your head (even men), and have a travel companion to watch your shoes.

Visited July 2012

• Thai first
  • Turkish first
Tomsk, Russia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“One of the best places to see in India”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

Amazing place... It's charm and beauty really rocks. After travelling all over India can say, that its definitely a brilliant in sightseeing collection of the country.
For foreigners, dont forget, that u have to be barefoot and ur head must be covered.

Kolkata (Calcutta), India
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“An amazing place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

Apart from the temple and ambiance, you can simply seat for hours doing nothing nothing and still feel peace in side.

Aberdeenshire
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

What a wonderful place. We only visited once - at night - and wish we had visited more often.
It really is a special place

Visited March 2013
Bangalore
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

The temple seems crowded all the time. But people were very disciplined and accommodating. The prayers were good to watch and provide an insight in to Sikhism..The prashads were very tasty