Grand Hotel
HK Clarks Inn(Amritsar)
US$48
US$41
Agoda.com
Hotel Hong Kong Inn(Amritsar)
US$34
US$29
US$68
US$83
  • Pool
US$70
US$50
Priceline
All reviewsmata templeopposite the train stationmaintained gardenvisited with friendsborder ceremonypeaceful environmentwagah borderrecommend this hotelhotel ownerhot showerreasonable ratesshort stayrooms are cleannice foodpleasant stayroom service isbottoms
Reviewed 30 November 2012

The hotel is situated in the heart of the city. Have stayed at this place around a dozen times, as this is the only hotel I stay at, in Amritsar. The food is good, quality of rooms is good. The staff is really helpful. Its has a good history to its credit.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms in the ground floor along the garden, they are quieter and better
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 November 2012

Grand hotel was only 3 minutes walk from the railway station.on arrival, the staff was very helpful and friendly. we joined a trip which leaves daily from the hotel to the border, golden temple and mata temple for rs 580 per person. i really think its wonderful and you make good friends on this tour as we had dinner together later. food in the restaurant was good and reasonable. rooms were clean and well maintained. peaceful garden inside is quite a surprise . i think its pretty much value for money.

Room Tip: first floor rooms are newly done. with very neat and clean bathrooms.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 November 2012

We booked this place for one night as our train was arriving very late 11.30pm and so we just wanted to know that we had a place to stay. Having read good reviews online as well as it being recommended by various guidebooks we booked it in advance using their website.

Our train was late so we arrived at the hotel after midnight - the guy who was at the desk hardly spoke English so it took a long time to sort our booking out as he was bit confused as to how many rooms we needed. We had booked a twin and 2 singles. The 2 singles seemed to be much nicer and cleaner than the twin (discovered this next morning).

Unluckily for me and my friend we were in the room that seemed to not have been prepared for us. It wasn't clean and the bedsheets looked dirty but as we were so tired by this point we decided to go to sleep in our own sleeping bag liners. However I couldn't sleep due to a very annoying noise coming from the bathroom at first I thought it was the toilet cistern filling up but then on investigation I realised there was water gushing out from the shower fitting on the wall. I went down to ask if he could turn the water supply to our room off so that we could sleep and eventually after realising this wan't possible he agreed after me begging him to change us to another room where we eventually managed to get some sleep.

The following morning we realised the room we had been swapped into was a much better standard than the other room and did seem cleaner and no mould patches on the ceiling although we didn't use the bathroom towels or sheets.

For the price we paid I think the rooms are not good value. The best thing about this place is it's location in terms of near the railway station so it is handy for when your train arrives late. Also the garden and bar/restaurant are nice. Food is ok here not the greatest but good value.

I complained to the manager next day and he wasn't that sympathetic towards the running water incident as he said we had asked to change rooms and this happened but after I was quite insistent he gave some money back from our room.

While we were trying to find another place to check into, our friends who were happy with their rooms and were thinking of staying on at the Grand went off to get something from one of their rooms. They came back and said they were joining us as they had just managed to enter another room with their room key! When we asked the manager about this he said yes all rooms have the same key! so in terms of safety at night it's fine as there are bolts on the inside of the door but during the day I would not be comfortable leaving valuables in a room which can be opened by any other guest!!

I would NOT recommend this place there are far better places to stay for nearly same price or slightly more - we moved to place further down the road called hotel shiraz regency. much happier here and we managed to get good deal for our rooms so were pleased about this.

Room Tip: My tip if you want to stay here is don't book ahead just turn up and ask to see the room before you agree to stay here, that way you know what you are paying for.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 November 2012

This was my first hotel in India. The staff was very friendly. The location is right next to the train station which is convenient for travel, but it's about a 10 minute rickshaw ride to any of the main sites. The food in the restaurant was great, and had huge portions although a little pricey.

The tour to see the border crossing ceremony was convenient, but I would say overpriced.

Room Tip: I had wifi in my room next to the courtyard on the lower level.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 November 2012

The staff at this hotel are a bit cheeky. They will tell you that your room may not be available for more than 1 night so to upgrade to a more expensive room to avoid having to move - but funnily enough we saw barely another person staying in the hotel the whole time we were there!

Anyway, we stood our ground and stuck with the standard room which was far too overpriced for the quality of it. Prices for laundry are extortionate and I truly think they believe they are a 5 star hotel for those prices.

The room was ok - there was a fridge and tv. It stank of smoke when we arrived in there but it was quite clean so we stuck with it. Otherwise though the standard room was quite drab and some things need retouching i think.

The location is close to the railway station (you can walk from here it only takes 5 minutes) and also close to some lovely restaurants. It is not near the Golden Temple but it is nice to be out of the crazy old city.

Our stay was pleasant enough, but the price is too high for what they are providing at this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple