“Nice and cheap”

Ranked #52 of 98 Hotels in Amritsar
bangalore
“Nice and cheap”
Reviewed 5 June 2010

I visited this place in 2007 and stayed there for a day only.I found this place very calm and nice to stay.although they do not provide very luxury or many facilities but still its the place where you would found peace and calmness.
Food is OK and Rooms are good and large.I should say that this is worth to money hotel

• Stayed January 2007, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Most easterly point of Oz!
Reviewed 28 May 2010

Our first night in India after a harrowing day was spent in the Grand Hotel, it was like a haven after our arrival from Delhi by train. The location is brilliant! We arrived at 9 pm with heavy backpacks and walked to the hotel. The outside streets are noisy and dirty, but it's different once you walk through the doors into an inviting atmosphere.

We got a basic a/c room with TV for roughly 1,250.00 per night and a private car chaffeured us around the next day at a very reasonable price to the Golden Temple (must see!) and the closing border ceremony at Wagah. The cleanliness of the room, particularly the bathroom had a lot to be desired. It looked like it had built up dirt for many months. Other than that, it was simple but comfortable.

The food at the restaurant wasn't crash hot, but convenient after travelling. The courtyard was very peaceful! Heard much about the bar as being the best in Amritsar but didn't get a chance to experience it ourselves.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
orissa
Reviewed 25 April 2010

We found ourselves arriving in Amritsar at midnight in mid-jan 2010, 8 hours after we intended so went with the grand hotel due to proximity to the train station. We stayed here for two nights (we originally planned to move hotels in the morning, due to price, however I got ill so we stayed put). When we got there they only had one room available for 1600INR/night and it was a really big room and clean enough. On the plus side they kept the restaurant open for us to have something to eat, and my partner had 'the best meal' he had in India, whilst I got food poisoning. The bed in the room was the smallest in length that we had in India, they refused to give us more blankets even though it was freezing cold. I was unwell for the entire day we spent in Amritsar, and was very impressed by the standards of cleanliness of the walls/floors of the bathroom. They arranged a car to the boarder closing ceremony a 4wheel drive for 800rs and being dropped off at the golden temple, however on the way back the driver was very pushy in taking us to a temple. All in all an okay hotel however would not choose to stay here again due to staff and price.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
oslo
Reviewed 4 April 2010

We booked a 'suite' using the hotel's own website. The suite turned out to be just a big corner room which was dark and poorly furnished. The bathroom was a disgrace, coated in the grime of ages. We asked to look at other rooms but 'the keys were not available'. As with other reviews, there were no sheets. We would have moved on but the hotel website takes a fifty dollar deposit via PayPal. Reluctantly we stayed and the'Grand Hotel' saved the best until last - a ridiculously low exchange rate on the PayPal deposit!
This was our second five week trip to India and this hotel stood out by a country mile as the worst we have experienced.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Amritsar hotels

New Zealand
Reviewed 3 April 2010

When I arrived in Amritsar, I had a few things I really wanted to do prior to continuing my journey. With the help of Sanjay Kumar who is the owner/manager of the Grand Hotel, he was able to help me with everything I wanted. The hotel itself was very pleasant with a nice outdoor area to sit and relax in and the staff were all friendly and helpful. The thing that I appreciated most was Sanjay's thoughtfulness in helping me achieve what I wanted. With his help, he organised a trip for me to Wagga border to see the closing ceremony of the border between Pakistan and India, he also managed to help me find a Gatka school which was not easy to do, so I could see some traditional Sikh martial arts and then organised flights and reputable accomodation on Dal Lake in Srinagar Kashmir. Sanjay went over and beyond his duties as a Hotelier, and after my stay I would consider him a friend that would welcome him to my country anytime as my guest. I thoroughly reccomend this hotel when you come to Amritsar, for price, quality and friendly service!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
sonoma
Reviewed 29 March 2010

After a tiring train trip from Delhi arriving late at 11 pm (I traveled 3rd class AC and was treated to rowdy but wonderful families) I was warmly greeted and immediately offered food and drink: the cold beer on tap was heaven. I had made a special request, being a solo woman and was given a large, comfy corner room, with TV and WiFi and a fridge, hot water all the time and ample towels and toilet paper. the rooms are a little old and somewhat musty but I like old-school and it fit the bill. The AC and room fan worked well. Mr. Kumar, the hotel owner was often present and made every effort to make me comfortable. The inner garden is quiet and soothing, an oasis from the traffic outside. I had to cut my stay short unexpectedly and Mr. Kumar kindly offered to refund at least
50% of the bill (paid up front). Amritsar is amazing, the Golden Temple is not to be missed, both at dawn and in the evenings. I even bought a couple of Punjabi outfits at the Raja store (expensive but of good quality), and had fabulous and cheap food at the Brother's Dhaba. I found a favorite bicycle rickshaw driver who was always on time and drove me all around: ask for Kuldeep or call him at 9815992588: I even went to visit his family with him, including his 19 yr old wife and 6 month old baby girl. Kuldeep was informed on all of the sights and is a devout man with extensive knowledge of the Hindu and Sikh religious iconography.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2010

We booked this room over the phone on the train up to Amritsar. We picked it due to its convenience to the train station.

Once we’d checked in the reception staff asked us to pay for the entire length of our stay immediately. We told them that we’d prefer not to and asked if we could pay on departure, which they reluctantly agreed to. Big mistake.

We were constantly harassed for payment of the rooms (we were two couples) and in addition constantly asked exactly when were we leaving (I guess so they could get us to pay up beforehand!) Every time the reception staff changed we were asked, again, when we were leaving and did we want to pay now. On the day of departure we were phoned in our rooms and asked to come and pay, despite telling them at breakfast that we were not leaving until midday and we would pay then.

We were not offered a free breakfast and on the mornings that we ate breakfast in the hotel the staff hovered over us and asked for payment for breakfast as soon as we’d taken the last bite of toast. This was all a bit ridiculous. What was most annoying is that despite the constant harassment for payment for breakfast and drinks (they knocked on our door for payment of one pot of tea that we’d just finished one morning) they were not so forth coming with returning our change. My friend paid for her breakfast and was owed 40 Rs change but, surprisingly, it never emerged.

The rooms are basic and, I think, over-priced for what they are. They were slightly damp, cold and a little mouldy. I actually bought some incense from a local shop to try and improve the smell of the room. The sound proofing isn’t great, which means that people leaving at the crack of dawn seemed to wake the entire hotel! We stayed in many different hotels in north India and I think that this room offered little value for the price we paid.

The bathroom was not as clean as it could be and our bathroom sink had massive chunks falling off underneath. However, the shower was fine and hot and they offered free soap.

I think that overall the hotel rooms could do with a little bit of investment and actually it would be a great hotel (if the constant harassment for payment ceased too!) The rooms could do with a lick of paint and brighter lights to take away the dinginess of the rooms.

The hotel manager offered to book us a trip to the India-Pakistan border for 850 Rs and told us that he could guarantee that we wouldn’t find it cheaper elsewhere. However, the taxis based in the station offered the trip for 500 Rs so it pays to shop around.

The pub on-site was quiet but offered a place to have a nightcap and light snack. The gardens of the hotel were delightful and a really peaceful place to sit and have breakfast or to read. They were, by far, the nicest part of the hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends