“A great time”
Review of Ranjit's SVAASA

Ranjit's SVAASA
Ranked #12 of 98 Hotels in Amritsar
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My fiance and I decided to do an impromptu road trip to Amritsar,

We had earlier booked the Hyatt but decided to stay here on an impulse (I like quaint, unassuming hotels) and this place has a lot of character.

We arrived to find out that we were upgraded to one of the suites - Kesar Devi. A big room (the balcony had been covered to extend the room) and along with a TV room. The room was very comfortable and had beautiful old school furniture and ample space - the linen was very clean and the pillows were comfortable. We felt very special.

We loved the old eclectic furniture in the "lobby"/ reception sitting area as well as our room. old school stuff. This place has heritage and you can see that the owners are trying to do something nice.

The staff was so friendly and went out of their way to make us comfortable. The entire hotel has these hidden nooks and corners with seating area's - great place to read a book (i recommend S. Maugham's Short Stories - goes great with the character of this place). And we spent a great 30 minutes walking around and exploring the hotel. The roof has deck chairs for sunbathing (there is no pool - frankly we we didn't miss it at all).

They have 3 dogs at the hotel (which is fantastic if you are a dog lover and we only missed our own dogs more) - Lady the Golden retriever (the owners think she is fat - but she is not - trust me I have 20 dogs) / Zara the Black Lab and Chu Chu the Wiener Dog ...i mean the Dachshund (only she was a bit overweight and had a bit of a temper ha ha). We spent the next hour with the dogs and loved it - This can be a problem if you aren't fond of dogs - but honestly - these 3 were lovely - I wish hotels like these have a policy to not allow humans who don't love dog (but i understand one has to run a business) and they had them in the owners room whenever the non dog loving group was at the hotel.

Okay, this wasn't a problem for me - there was a bit of a water problem in the shower (since it its leaks) but I was so in love with the property that I didn't even bother telling the staff about it... No problems with hot water - but then again it's the month of may.

The food was on the expensive side (but then it's Amritsar and it's sacrilege to not eat out at a dhabha) and don't order black coffee here (i'm have indulged myself with the finest coffee beans from the world) and these guys don't do black coffee. But even that wasn't a problem for me - this place is just so lovely.

The hotel charges Rs. 800 for a 2 hour cab visit to the Golden Temple - This seems a bit steep - Better would to Hire an Rickshaw or a tuk tuk from the main road for a 100 bucks (or less) and get to the Golden temple yourself.. Guess not an options for the less adventurous bent of mind - but a lot of fun.

I would like to add that I always take eclectic, charming and heritage over Modern glass and concrete... this place was such a nice choice and the perfect weekend... they (the staff) went out of their way to make us feel special and we felt like we were at home here.

Even the dogs came to say bye to us as we got ready to leave (well maybe not Chu Chu)...they should allow us to bring our own dogs as well - become one of India's first pet friendly hotel... just a suggestion :)

My fiance comes to Amritsar every year - and we plan to make this a permanent yearly visit.

Also, The Staff was even nice enough to wash my car for me before we drove back to delhi.

Room Tip: Stay in the Kesar Devi Suite if you want to get some more privacy - great if you are a couple.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 May 2014

I am an avid traveler and we visited Svaasar recently for a weekend getaway from Delhi based on a friend's recommendation. No matter what our friends spoke about the place, it did not prepare us for what Svaasa truly had to offer. There was something special about the place, was it the heritage decor, the natural charm of the property, the hospitality, perhaps it was a bit of all these put together. My wife & I were traveling with our new born and it was our first trip after we welcomed our first child, so I was particularly anxious about everything. Fortunately, the Svaasa hospitality was right up there in terms their warmth, efficiency and eye for detail. The family running the place amazed me with their passionate involvement in the day to day running of the property and the level to which they get involved to make the entire experience for us of us truly memorable. We had multiple rooms and we even got a small tour of the facility. Each room was done in great taste and we loved the warm and welcoming vibe in each room. Guess the family has taken great pains to keep the natural charm of the heritage property intact while adding their own contemporary touch to the hotel to make their guests feel completely at home and comfortable. I would highly recommend the place to any discerning traveler. I felt this place had lots more to offer in terms of its natural charm, heritage and their hospitality than any regular 4 or 5 star hotel chain we would normally stay at. It is not every day that you meet the owners of the place who are passionately involved in making their guests completely at home. Example: We were pretty sure about the things we wanted to do in the city (thanks to Tripadvisor and some basic online research), the team at Svaasa even helped us with car bookings and planning out a great itinerary in a way that we could visit each of the places at the best hours, we even made tweaks to our itinerary based on their recommendations and it worked wonders for us. All in all, I would highly recommend the place to anyone visiting Amritsar, coz I'm certainly going back as soon as I get the next opportunity! :-)

Room Tip: Each room is unique, guess you must inform the hotel about your personal preference, personally I lo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This is a sort of rambling big old family house around a courtyard with rooms entered from stairways and balconies. The main house has lots of old pictures of the family and antique furniture and is full of character. Food is served in another building out of the front of the house in a dense shady garden. The food is limited in choice but is wholesome and very tasty. The rooms are large and relatively comfortable. Only quibble I would have is that the bathroom needed a bit of sprucing up.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor if you can, the rooms lower down can be a bit dark.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisLee1066
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This place has stayed in my mind since returning from a group trip to several places in the north. Welcome contrast to the other large, modern hotels in which we stayed. Everything which has been said about the warmth of the welcome, the feel of a gentle oasis away from the general hubbub of Amritsar is absolutely true. We had what amounted to a 1-bedroomed flat - huge sitting room as well as bedroom. Thought the food was excellent and really appreciated being able to talk about it with the staff. There is a slight feel of it being run on a shoestring - we experienced problems with hot water described earlier, assorted leaks. But it is charming, and I think would be particularly welcomed by independent travellers needing a bit of R&R after an overland journey.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Wonderful place in the backstreets of modern amritsar. Very reliable friendly service of pick-up and other transport. Room very nice, spacy, very clean. Staff extremly friendly and laid back combined with professionality. real good food in the small restaurant, amazing selection of punjab style food, also veg if requested. great spa services, as a spa novice i enjoyed a great massage, then a facial massage and a special treatment with heated pads. Feeled wonderful, very caring and making me comfortable staff, really caring if I feel good, at the same time quite professionally distant but warm, great.
Only possiblly negative issues is the distance to the old town, in the morning at 4 am not an issue, by car 7 minutes, in day time an issue with lots of traffic.Svaasa is on the other hand already in the direction of the airport. Wireless in the upper rooms not always fully accessible, but outside the room are nice places to sit and feel comfy.
I wil come back again, if in amritsar, great staff, great place.

Room Tip: top floor great. Also gift yourself the wonderful spa treatments.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This was a perfect place to start our journey across the roof of India. The hotel is hidden away in heart of Amritsar so provides a quiet and welcome sanctuary from the general hustle and bustle. This is still very much a family home and many of the staff are family so the atmosphere is one of genuine hospitality. The food was good especially the ginger marmalade provided at breakfast. I am not sure why others have complained about the food - I am a fussy eater and was well satisfied. The girls in spa were well-trained and did an excellent job on my tired old legs. My room was very comfortable and clean although one small criticism would be that the bathroom was rather barren but the water was hot and plentiful. Go there if you are in Amritsar - you won't be disappointed - believe me.

Room Tip: My room on the top floor was very quiet
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 April 2014

What a fantastic and unassuming hotel nestled in the heart of Amritsar. Unknown to many and hence retaining its charm, we had a very pleasant stay at Ranjits Svaasa. Kudos to the owner/s and staff for the lovely hospitality. Can improve on the food a bit (but when you are in Amritsar there's no complaining as there are a million places to eat.)

A definite YES for anyone visiting Amritsar...

Room Tip: Choose the Suites...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family