My fiance and I decided to do an impromptu road trip to Amritsar,
We had earlier booked the Hyatt but decided to stay here on an impulse (I like quaint, unassuming hotels) and this place has a lot of character.
We arrived to find out that we were upgraded to one of the suites - Kesar Devi. A big room (the balcony had been covered to extend the room) and along with a TV room. The room was very comfortable and had beautiful old school furniture and ample space - the linen was very clean and the pillows were comfortable. We felt very special.
We loved the old eclectic furniture in the "lobby"/ reception sitting area as well as our room. old school stuff. This place has heritage and you can see that the owners are trying to do something nice.
The staff was so friendly and went out of their way to make us comfortable. The entire hotel has these hidden nooks and corners with seating area's - great place to read a book (i recommend S. Maugham's Short Stories - goes great with the character of this place). And we spent a great 30 minutes walking around and exploring the hotel. The roof has deck chairs for sunbathing (there is no pool - frankly we we didn't miss it at all).
They have 3 dogs at the hotel (which is fantastic if you are a dog lover and we only missed our own dogs more) - Lady the Golden retriever (the owners think she is fat - but she is not - trust me I have 20 dogs) / Zara the Black Lab and Chu Chu the Wiener Dog ...i mean the Dachshund (only she was a bit overweight and had a bit of a temper ha ha). We spent the next hour with the dogs and loved it - This can be a problem if you aren't fond of dogs - but honestly - these 3 were lovely - I wish hotels like these have a policy to not allow humans who don't love dog (but i understand one has to run a business) and they had them in the owners room whenever the non dog loving group was at the hotel.
Okay, this wasn't a problem for me - there was a bit of a water problem in the shower (since it its leaks) but I was so in love with the property that I didn't even bother telling the staff about it... No problems with hot water - but then again it's the month of may.
The food was on the expensive side (but then it's Amritsar and it's sacrilege to not eat out at a dhabha) and don't order black coffee here (i'm have indulged myself with the finest coffee beans from the world) and these guys don't do black coffee. But even that wasn't a problem for me - this place is just so lovely.
The hotel charges Rs. 800 for a 2 hour cab visit to the Golden Temple - This seems a bit steep - Better would to Hire an Rickshaw or a tuk tuk from the main road for a 100 bucks (or less) and get to the Golden temple yourself.. Guess not an options for the less adventurous bent of mind - but a lot of fun.
I would like to add that I always take eclectic, charming and heritage over Modern glass and concrete... this place was such a nice choice and the perfect weekend... they (the staff) went out of their way to make us feel special and we felt like we were at home here.
Even the dogs came to say bye to us as we got ready to leave (well maybe not Chu Chu)...they should allow us to bring our own dogs as well - become one of India's first pet friendly hotel... just a suggestion :)
My fiance comes to Amritsar every year - and we plan to make this a permanent yearly visit.
Also, The Staff was even nice enough to wash my car for me before we drove back to delhi.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ranjit's SVAASA is a creation out of a luxurious refurbishment of the 200 year old British Colonial Haveli, now plush with its characteristic boutique rooms and suites, fully equipped with modern amenities. The property also houses an award winning Spa in its restructured horse stables and cow sheds. The open courtyard plush with landscaped greenery and the rooftop organic vegetation all adorn the small yet beautiful manor. In the heart of the City, Ranjit's SVAASA is a peaceful haven to relax and cherish your holiday with authentic home cooked Punjabi food, with continental options. Enjoy meeting and interacting with the Mehra's, the Royal family descendants who personally manage and run this place making it a rich home away from home experience. Enjoy playing with the family dog or listening to the chirping birds or seeing the green parrots flying around. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Odigeo, Expedia, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Ranjit's SVAASA reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Welcome Heritage Ranjit`s Svaasa Hotel Amritsar
- Welcome Heritage Ranjits Svaasa Amritsar
- Welcome Heritage Ranjits Svaasa Hotel