“Bad hotel with zero maintenance, surviving on location advantage”
Review of Hotel Golden Tower

Hotel Golden Tower
Ranked #79 of 97 Hotels in Amritsar
New Delhi, India
“Bad hotel with zero maintenance, surviving on location advantage”
Reviewed 19 November 2010

Rat droppings on bed, non-functional AC and geyser, peeling and damp walls, bathroom fittings falling out - how bad could it be? Add to it cold and lousy tea, uncomfortable mattresses and pillows, very few useful channels on TV, no internet. To cap it all, they promised free car parking on the premises, but it turned out to be the community multi-storey car park where I had to pay Rs.60 per day.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank SS-Shom

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 February 2010

The only good thing about Hotel Golden Tower is that it's a short walk away from the Golden Temple. The hotel itself looks like it's in a building that's about to collapse. The staff at reception were polite, but not overly friendly. I was shown two rooms, and one looked fine while the other had a dank, musty smell to it. The room I chose looked to be fairly clean, but I should have looked closer. The bed felt damp, and upon closer inspection the sheets had hairs and stains on it. The bathroom didn't have any hot water and the toilet smelled. It was really late at that point, and seeing as I planned to stay only one night, I thought I'd just bear it. Fortunately, I had a sleep sheet with me, so i didn't have to touch the dirty sheets as I slept. All this for just 1300 rupees. Never again.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Othello491

Travellers are raving about these Amritsar hotels

Mumbai
Reviewed 18 May 2008

We have been to Hotel Golden Tower on May 1st, 08. Based on the inputs from Travel Advisor blog, we chose to stay at this hotel. But the experience was VERY BAD. Rooms are not having proper Air conditioning and bathrooms are equally bad. Cleanliness is poor. It is definitely not worth to spend Rs. 1500 for this one.

• Liked — None
  • Disliked — As mentioned
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank yonaik
N. England
Reviewed 6 December 2007

Basic by western standards, but the Hotel Golden Tower has superb staff who looked after me as if I were family.
The hotel is a short walk from the Golden Temple, and the staff arranged trips for me to other big religious sites in the Punjab, which I enjoyed no end.
Rooms have television, A/C, showers, refridgerators, and telephones to call home. Cold drinks, water and snacks are available at all times. Whenever I needed anything, the staff were great, and for me that was far more important than luxuries you might pay a fortune for elsewhere.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank Bertie88
london
Reviewed 5 December 2007

it was a very nice and comfortable stay at hotel golden tower.as the climate of india in june was very hot and humid hotel golden tower was avery cool place to stay. front office staff was very helpful and provided every required information to me . they help a lot making search for tel no. of my airline offices to rescheduling my flieght. food was also very tasty. room was very calm and peaceful .cleanliness was good .on the whole it was a very nice place to stay at very less cost.

• Liked — staff was very eager to help and guide
  • Disliked — surrounding of hotel was not good but above average
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank archian
London
Reviewed 20 October 2007

I had booked this hotel for one night stay in Amritsar. I had favourable correspondence with the manager beforehand. I turned up and was shown to my room, where the bed was covered in small flies; I asked to see another room. I understood enough of what was being said to know that one of the staff was being sent down ahead of us to
check the bed. That room was ok, but the window didn't fit and I rejected it. I was shown a third room which I accepted. I went out for the afternoon. When I came back I went into the bathroom and noticed the bin, which I hadn't checked before, was swarming with ants. I decided this was inexcusable and moved out. The staff seemed friendly enough and the rooms were well equipped but I found a better
place (no insects) for the same price.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Insects
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled solo