“Best View of the Golden Temple Ever..”
Review of Hotel Indus

Hotel Indus
Ranked #74 of 100 Hotels in Amritsar
Reviewed 8 November 2008

Very nice hotel, small and simple. The best part about the hotel is the view of the Golden Temple from the window of the room. It feels as if the hotel is in the premises of the Golden temple. In the mornin and evening i could hear the prayers from the temple. The beds were really soft n comfortable and inspite of being a hotelier myself, these were one of the most comfortabe beds. The bathrooms were clean as well. The hotel is well equipped with the internet facility dat made it easier for my business. Mr. Singh, who is also a partner in the hotel gives personal attention to most guests. Overall the hotel is amazing for the Price.

Stayed: October 2008

Reviewed 14 August 2008

Just returned from a 3 night stay here. This hotel has only one thing going for it : the view of the golden temple from the roof top is stunning, especially at night. But that's where the good news ends. In every other respect this hotel does not offer decent value for money. The rooms are tiny, with only the narrowest of walking space around the bed and nowhere to store bags. The aircon - centrally controlled as another reviewer has pointed out - succeeded in churning out warm air for the last day or so of our stay. We managed no hot water for the entire 3 nights. And the food - all room service and therefore difficult to enjoy without a table - was mediocre at best. Sadly, not recommended.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2008

I've been traveling around India for about 2 months now and Hotel Indus was my last stop. Compared to the many hotels I've been in (Hyderabad, Aurangabad, Delhi, Jaipur, Agra, etc) this one was a breath of fresh air. It was clean, western, and comfortable. Having a soft, plush bed in this country is really quite hard to find and that may have been my favorite part of the room itself. I got a super-deluxe room and really enjoyed the view of the Golden Temple. The room was a little bit small, but since I was alone it was perfectly fine.

The menu is decent and I enjoyed all of the items I ordered, especially the breakfast parantha's. The staff was always gracious and friendly. The management was especially accommodating when I experienced a family emergency and they allowed me to use their internet in the lobby area and even connected me over the phone with my mother in the U.S.A. at 1am.

The roof terrace was a little lacking and in the heat of the summer I only took my dinner there after the sun went down. Maybe a few shade umbrellas and some decorative plants would help make it more enjoyable. The view is unbelievable.

The location of the hotel is also one of its best characteristics being 15 steps from the Golden Temple property. The old city markets are also only steps away or a short cycle rickshaw ride. There are Wagah Border taxi services in the immediate area as well since they gather around the Golden Temple to find interested riders.

If you have any questions about being a solo female traveler in India or general travel questions concerning this great country, I'm more than happy to answer questions.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank pittgirl2008
Reviewed 24 July 2008

I'd made a reservation with this hotel based on their website, where it describes their super deluxe rooms as having
"a direct view of Golden Temple from their Balconies". However, none of the rooms we were shown had a balcony - just a smoked-glass window.

The rooms were small, passable, but quite how we'd imagined.

Furthermore, what the website called a 'Terrace Garden Over Looking Golden Temple' was the flat unshaded roof, whose only decoration was a pile of cigarette butts in the corner.

We expressed our disappointment to the hotel staff, but they refused to return our passport and insisted that we talk to the owner over the telephone. This repeated three times before my wife managed to snatch our passports from the receptionist.

We beat a hasty retreat and stayed at the hotel next door - whose prices were similar, rooms slightly larger, but which hadn't mislead us.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2008

My wife kids and I had stayed at the hotel and booked 2 super deluxe room. The rooms were cramped but comfortable; and clean too. The staff were curteous and helpful. The food on menu limited but made as per choice i.e. less oil and spicy. The best part of the hotel is its right next to the Golden Temple.
Good place for a 1 or two day stay. Would not recommend it for a long stay.

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank Sidharath_Kapur
Reviewed 14 May 2008

Was not impressed with the size of the rooms we booked which were super delux. I booked these because of the views over the Golden Temple but the windows also over looked a rubbish tip. Staff were friendly enough. Menu was limited and the only place to eat was on the terrace but it was too hot so we had to manage in our room and use the bed for a table. Would not recommend.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank JillBirmingham
Reviewed 6 May 2008

We made our reservations after seeing the feedback on the property on tripadvisor.com. I must say that the place exceeded our expectations. Very clean and well kept rooms and bathrooms. The proximity to the Golden Temple is it's usp.
The staff were very helpful, polite and courteous. Worth the price

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family