“Great in the afternoon”

Private Day Trip to the Keoladeo National Park in Bharatpur from Jaipur
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Bharatpur
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Bharatpur bird sanctuary is home to over 350 species of birds.
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Closest major city is Agra 45km away, or you can visit from Bharatpur. The world heritage listed Keoladeo National Park is home to over 300 species of bird. To get the most out of your visit it is best to hire a rickshaw. The drivers are incredibly knowledgeable and will spot and identify birds on your behalf. My driver kept saying "good luck, good luck" making out what we were seeing was highly rare. I was there late afternoon and at dusk literally hundreds of birds take to the skies. Most remarkable sight were the painted cranes, enormous prehistoric looking birds, precariously nesting atop fragile trees. Besides birds, look out for Deer, Monkeys and Jackals. The 200Rs charge for video is too much. There was a lot to see when I went in December.

2  Thank Jolyon67
Write a ReviewReviews (1,415)

Reviewed 10 May 2014

I never saw these many birds togeather and that too of this many types ever in my life. Every where you find birds flocking, nesting, singing. Its so wonderful experience, it is only 11 sq km area but has been maintained very well. It is full of small-small lakes spread across the park which are made very logically to attract more and more migratory birds.

2  Thank VivekBakshi
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

A pleasant enough way to pass a couple of hours in the early morning, and a nice break from the usual hubhub of India. But if you're not a birder then out of season I'd only go if you happen to be passing through (of if heading to Agra from Delhi you could route vua Deeg, overnight in Bharatphur, see the birds then head to Agra via Fatephur Sikri). In season I susoect it's much more worth it.

1  Thank H_Alst0n
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I loved this place!!

The entrance fee is a little steeper than I hoped but it was totally worth it.

You can hire a naturalist or bike yourself. We hired rickshaw. The rickshaw drivers are very knowledgeable (our has been doing it for like 40 years!). It makes a relaxing way to see the birds you sit back and relax and they tell you all about the birds and point them out (they are so good at spotting them!). We would stop and get out to get a better look and take pictures.

I highly recommend taking a rickshaw or a guide because there are so many birds and you will never know what they are yourself!

2  Thank Kelly P
Reviewed 27 April 2014

even out of season we saw a good range of birds. we had a naturalist with us which was helpful although I an told the rickshaw drivers are also knowledgeable.

1  Thank filligirl