“Overall very good”

Ranked #4 of 23 Bundi B&B and Inns
Switzerland
“Overall very good”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Shivam is a nice family run guest house, with very decent rooms at equally affordable rates. Overall very clean, restaurant was actually surprisingly nice. The whole family is very nice and helpful, whatever you may need and they know a lot about train and bus reservation (apart from the rickshaw rate advice that led us to pay 150rs for a rickshaw to the railway station, be careful). Only flaw that may disturm some is Montu's atttitude, which may seem a bit rough at first, didn't bother us as he was actually very nice.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank easterndaze

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Barrington, Rhode Island
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I just there for single night and had a great warm welcome by hosting family rooms are well and location is around the local market which was good to have peoples around you.
family organised a trip to see bundi just in a day and i hopefully didn't miss anything.
Overall it is good family stay good rooms morden wash room.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I stayed for a couple of weeks at this guesthouse because I loved Bundi and this place was well-situated in the centre of it (along with most of the other guesthouses). So I had a more varied experience than most.

There were plenty of positives. Montu and his wife very kindly came all the way in the taxi back from Kota with me when I arrived, and all the way back again on my return. They were very friendly and helpful. (However, I don't want to be cynical but I got a slight feeling this was because the guesthouse were taking a cut of the taxi cost and wanted a cut of any tips too. The taxi seemed slightly over-priced, and on one occasion when they'd hired me a taxi for a day trip Montu actually came up to my room afterwards to ask if I paid the driver a tip and if so how much - bit weird, I thought.)

The first "deluxe" room I stayed in was large but unfinished. This wasn't acknowledged until I asked to extend my stay and was put in a different room, which was cheaper but actually much much better. The first room had no mirror in the bathroom, empty fittings hanging from the ceiling, a slightly dodgy shower and a large uncovered hole in the bathroom wall that let in loads of mosquitoes. When I arrived there was no towel or door padlock and the water wasn't working - these issues Montu promptly sorted for me, though.

The second room was finished and very nice, perfect for me - effective mosquito netting, comfortable bed, good shower (although yes as another reviewer points out this very common Indian style of on demand water boiler runs out in just a few minutes, you need to be quick). The sheets weren't changed in about 10 days though and it was only cleaned once, which was a little bit poor.

The weirdest experiences I had though were with the restaurant. Before I get onto why - the food was quite basic but I liked it. May not be to everyone's satisfaction, nor the ambience, but it suited me just fine and I enjoyed most things I ate there. The chef knows what he's doing but perhaps should make the menu a bit smaller so he can focus more.

But the weirdness came when for a day or so I was the only guest, or one of only a few, and although the chef seemed like a lovely chap he had some real passive aggressive issues with me regarding the times I chose to ate. One night I arrived to eat shortly after 9pm, and he was visibly irritated and refused to cook anything but the speediest dishes. He then literally sat and stared at me while I ate and the second I finished my last mouthful he grabbed the dishes, closed the kitchen and disappeared! I tried 8.45pm the next day - still too late, he was in a huff again. One night was hilariously awkward - I'd been invited to a local wedding, a very unique experience, so decided to eat elsewhere and not go back to the guesthouse that night. However, I got covered in mud and had to pop back to change clothes at about 9.30pm. As I returned I saw the chef on the floor above pacing around and watching my movements. As I was getting changed Montu knocked on my door and the chef appeared behind him with a big fake smile insisting I should go straight to the restaurant and eat as they'd been waiting for me! I really didn't want the awkwardness and had made alternative plans but they were absolutely insistent. They reassured me that it wasn't too late, but once again the chef sat and stared intensely at me as I ate and then left someone else to tidy up my dishes. It was absolutely excrutiating, I was made to feel like a naughty child who'd come home too late! Guys, do yourselves and the guests a favour and put up a notice saying when the restaurant is open, and then be happy to cook for people within those times. Don't say "Anytime you want to eat is fine, my chef will cook for you" (as Montu told me) and then get huffy with the guests when they eat at 9pm. It wasn't my fault there weren't many other guests at that time.

Also the wifi barely ever worked, to the point where I don't think it's fair to advertise it. I tried at all times of day on two separate devices, on all floors of the guesthouse, and heard from other guests that it never worked for them either. This was really inconvenient when I urgently needed to book train tickets, contact friends etc, meaning I had to spend way more time in cafes with wifi during the day than I really wanted to.

All that said, I did choose to stay here for 2 weeks and had no major problems. It was generally a comfortable stay and a good place to be based, and to meet other people. A lot of the problems are fairly ubiquitous in India and just something you have to deal with - poor wifi, social differences (such as being stared at while you eat!), inflated taxi prices for foreigners etc. If you're only staying for a short period I'm sure you'll have a more positive experience!

Room Tip: First floor seemed to be the best. Top floor is near to restaurant so may be noisier and has the wor...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Broome, Australia
Reviewed 19 December 2013

For Bundi, the location is good, this guesthouse is at best an average option. We waited until the morning for our passports to be returned as we came in late. Had to ask on 4 different occasions for our passports to be returned (he hadn't photocopied them) every traveler can appreciate the importance of having their passports with them.
The room we got was very spacious, but wasn't the one we booked for. There's no windows, and the bathroom needs to be cleaned. Mirror has everyone's toothpaste spit on it, toilet is gross. Hot water last only for 4 minutes, then goes cold. But hey, that's India. It's frustrating here, because it's cold!!
We put our washing in on the first morning, and they had it hanging out that afternoon. We were leaving the next day, so it came time to pack, and our laundry hadn't been touched. Still on the line. We started to take it off, and the young guy said he hadn't counted it (shouldn't have been our problem...we paid a lot more than what we should of for this service, it should have been done) so we said that we would count it.
He Mosies on up, walks in to the room playing on his phone. We finish counting it, and have written it down. Then he says he wants to count it (all the time looking around the room to see if we've moved any of the washing!!) he slowly counts it, and looks around the room again asking if there's any more? I was so frustrated with this. The whole thing could have been avoided if he had provided the "service" that we paid for. And counted them at the start. Logical thinking.

We had a really lovely pot of masala chai upstairs in "restaurant" and decided to have dinner up there. We ordered momos, mushroom curry and a thali. Fair enough, we waited 45 minutes, but there was only one guy in the kitchen, and he was an older lovely fellow. Unfortunately the food wasn't great.

So here's some tips. Get your washing done somewhere else. It would be so much cheaper, and you will get it washed, folded and ready to go.
Don't eat there. The "restaurant" is a slab of concrete with 4 tables and chairs, the food is very average. There are some good restaurants around.
Don't book yr tickets with these guys either. The guy told us there were no buses from Ajmer to Jaisalmer, but I had it already up on my IPad. I just needed him to book it. I get the feeling there's not a lot of knowledge with the transport around India.

We paid 550 rupees for this room, you can get cheaper and nicer places around. Research first.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We loved our stay at Shivam Guest House. The location is perfect, close walking distance to everything. The room was spacious and clean. The food upstairs was delicious! We had breakfast there each morning and the dinner was really good too. Montu and family are very nice and accommodating. We arrived and departed late (our trains in & out were at 2am) and Montu was flexible and helped us arrange late night transportation. Definitely recommend this guest house in Bundi!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Padua, Italy
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I decided to go to Bundi to rest and get the chance to visit a calm and natural place, luckily I decided to go to Shivam Guesthouse. Montu, Tampi and their family made me really feel at home, like a guest and not a customer.
Their service is really professional: tuc tuc from the station, a REALLY clean and nice accomodation, comfortable bed with blankets, bathroom with hot water 24/7, toilet paper and clean towels, free wifi, train ticket reservation, free management of the excursion to the beautiful Bhimlat waterfall near Bundi and a lot more..
The great restaurant, with a really rich menu, was my best choice every breakfast and dinner, fresh and tasty indian and continental dishes just next to my room, couldn't ask for more!
The view from the rooftop is breathtaking, sunset and sunrise of the lake and the beautiful Bundi palace are really a must.
The position of the guesthouse is really good, just outside of the traffic of the town and 5 minutes by walk to the superb Palace and Fort. Considering the perfect service they offer, prices are also really cheap, both for the rooms and the restaurant. You can find really cheap (but still nice) rooms, and also suites rooms, really a rich choice.
The town itself is really intimate and warm, people in Bundi are nice and genuine, I miss them already!
That's why I decided to stay longer than expected (10 days in the end) and I will come back also in February to Shivam Guest House, for a really enjoyable and relaxing time.
Highly reccomended!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Paris, France
Reviewed 22 November 2013

My girldfriend and I stayed 2 days in Bundi in this guesthouse. It's runned by a very lovely family, welcoming and who knows the city very well and the good places to go. The rooms are very clean with hot water and the food is good. Definitly our best souvenir in India so far !

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple