“Avoid at any cost” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 75 Hotels in Kodaikanal
Bengaluru, India
“Avoid at any cost”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

Let me start with the location. The hotel is not near to main attraction of the Kodaikanal (Coakers walk, Kodai Lake). It is quite far from those sites and there is no proper parking place and entry is through a muddy road. You dont have any view from the hotel.
We booked the hotel in advance for two days but just after visiting the hotel we got room next to the reception which i guess in the worst one. The people in the next room were playing music so loudly that my husband need to go and tell them to reduce the volume. There is no fan in the room and hot water is not available 24 Hrs. The people who are staying there does not seem to be very descent type so after 20 mins we decided to leave the hotel at any cost.
We found another hotel and decided to move there but when discussed with manager he said that he will not return any money. So we need to pay two days rent for 20 mins. Pathetic management..
So i suggest every one to avoid this hotel at any cost. Take a hotel near Coakers walk and you will enjoy your trip

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MouBanerjeeShee

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

Let me start with the booking process. Since I found the price offered by travel websites like makemytrip, cleartrip etc were all at par with the price offered by the hotel website, I decided to book it directly with the hotel. But when I called up the hotel on their landline, I was politely told to call back after 15 minutes since the Manager was out for lunch. Later all my repeated attempts to reach them on their landline as well as the two mobile numbers listed were in vain and since it was possible to book thru online via hotel website and I was just 24 hrs away from my trip, I did online booking via hotel website. I should admit the online booking process was smooth and at every stage they had included the description of the room which was a positive thing. I also got the confirmation receipt immediately via e-mail. I had booked a FAMILY SUITE for one night stay costing Rs.2800/- nett per night. After I managed to do the booking online, I managed to reach the Manager Babu on his mobile to enquire about the car parking facility and when I highlighted the lack of response over phone, he non-challantly said "It is alright, anyway you have booked it", probably it was only a tip of the iceberg. Though the check-in time was at 10 am, we got delayed and managed to reach only at 1.30 pm. It is closer to the city centre and that way was easy to reach. In one of the reviews, they had warned that the approach to the hotel was bad and car parking is a challenge. Though I had a very experienced driver, due to the steep approach and no reversing space near hotel, we had quite a challenge to park. Also the car park is very limited and cars have to be parked one behind the other. Any one going by car during peak season should avoid this hotel. I had called up the hotel around 10.00 am to keep the room ready since we did not want to lose time (especially with young kids around). When we landed at the hotel, it was raining and when we asked the room boys to unload the luggage, they refused saying that it was raining. We found there were no towels provided and had to ask for it and we did not dare to touch the towel as it was not clean at all. There was no power when we entered the room, but expected the hotel to have at least a generator to provide basic light as Kodaikanal does not get sunlight always. Only upon my insistence, they switched on the generator. I should say the room was quite spacious and had two side tables, a centre table with two chairs in each room and had attached bath rooms in both the rooms. Though the bathrooms were not dirty, it was not very clean either. The worst part is hot water is available only between 6 am - 11 am and considering it is a hill station with young kids, it is difficult. At least I would expect the hotel to state this in their website. The worst thing is, they did not have clean bed spreads and it was all stained, but we were too tired to ask for a change. The TV in both the rooms were not functioning properly and when we summoned an attendant he said even at our reception we have similar picture quality which was a lie. So my son had to bear with the poor quality to watch the Champions Trophy one day cricket. Another bad part was, I have never seen a hotel which had not listed the frequently called numbers like reception and restaurant near the phone. Here strangely they had printed this behind their visiting card and this was not handed over to me when I checked-in and I had to walk to the reception since (as usual) they were not picking the calls on their listed mobile numbers. Also the reception in-charge Swaminathan was quite rude, but they had another gentleman by name Saravanan who was pleasant mannered and guided me regarding sightseeing. Beware the restaurant cannot be called one since it has only 4-5 tables and if you land during lunch time, you may not get anything to eat since mostly they prepare only Breakfast and dinner as guests are out during lunch time. But food was of okay quality and service was reasonably good. But the worst part is, they have a strange system. One cannot pay for the food at the restaurant since it gets added to your bill and you are not given a copy of the bill. So you are expected to write down all the items you ate (along with your family members). Imagine you stay with your family for 3 days, it would be impossible/cumbersome for you to notedown each item every one had. When I suggested to the reception in-charge Swaminathan why they could not opt for a system of guest signing the bill after having food and later attaching it in the bill at the time of checkout (which is very common across hotels), he coolly mentioned that normally our guests write down what they ate. What a stupid idea!

Summary: Poor service, Poor car park, Poor hygiene, Decent food. You can choose this if you have no better option.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Arnie2013
Chennai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

Cent percent guarantee to value your money at this hotel. They didn't charge anything extra. Room service and the people were good. Food was average and couldn't find varies like we see at Chennai. Overall my honeymoon trip was excellent at Kodaikanal

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

4 Thank Seemonraj S
Chennai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

Clear trip is very low price in hotel booking i saved 650 Rs . Service is excellent Spring valley hotel but hot water heater is not available only hot water time 6 am to 11 am here only that time available ...... Food service is excellent

3 Thank Yutha L
Mumbai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2013

Hotel Spring Valley stay was good. Rooms are welll furnished and spaciaous for a family stay.However Bathroom/Toiler maintenance can be improved by providing liquid/soap, towel etc. Anyway overall good hotel.

3 Thank Gopalan K
Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

Stayed there for a night with friends and its a decent enough place I would say.
Rooms were okay and clean, restaurant was good as well as the room service.
Its roughly 1.5 to 2.0 KM from the lake, but it was not that much of a pain.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank KarthikRajamanickam
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

i went to kodaikanal with my family and i booked a family suite... may 1st week....as said that is the peak months....but i booked the rooms in advance... i found the rooms to be clean n good but bathroom was ok... staff were helpful and co-operative. they provide u wid there own service of tour around the citi, so it was not very expensive. wi fi connection as said was given but the signal on 1st floor (where our room was) was very weak so no use. and the food was too bad... but if we say on overall experience then it was good n calm as u don't have to go looking for sevices of travelling around...they have all the services on a reasonable price.

Room Tip: don't take ac rooms its waste of money and take 1st floor rooms or higher floors rooms its quiet...