“Fantastic place for gettogether ”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kodaikanal
Dalethorpe Homestay
Ranked #7 of 117 Kodaikanal B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Very nice place at good location. Neat and clean rooms with good care. The team Sahid, Dhanvir, Joseph (The cook) all are great. We a group of 12 people stayed for 4 days and it was memorable stay. Great service - keep it up Sahid.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We were 9 adults and 2 kids. We found it to be just theright place to stay. Almost in the heart of Kodai but still felt like we were far away from the hustle and bustle. Good place for kids to break free and the adults to let their hair down. Care taker, Shaheed was very genial and helpful. He even made coffee and milk for us at 3:30 AM in the morining as we were checking out at that time
All of us ensjoyed the food, which was generally good. Chicken Biryani was like home made. Its a definitely a go to place if you are looking for value for money

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank MNPrasad
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Good place for a family - the experience was more like a home stay. My kid loved the open space surrounding the property. The room was clean, the care taker was very polite. The food was a bit costly but generally tasty except one night when it was just ok.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We were looking for a stay in Kodaikanal where we could get the feel of the place and I must say this place is the perfect place to chose if you are looking for a calm and a close to nature stay. The hotel does not fall under the category of fancy hotels and people looking for fancy hotels should not go for it. It is a very simple, British type bungalow with lots of greenery around.
The hotel staff is very very helpful and we really loved the hospitality. The food is not that great and i feel it is a bit overpriced. The location of the hotel is perfect. Its at a walk able distance from Kodai Lake and the main market .During our stay, we used to walk down to the lake everyday, its just about 1 km. They also have a couple of indoor and outdoor games. The owner of hotel-Shaheed makes sure that the guests are comfortable. We reached Kodai early morning and informed Shaheed about it, he was kind enough to pick us up from the stop and arrange the room immediately even before the check in time. Overall, the stay made our trip to Kodaikanal wonderful.! Kudos to Shaheed, Tanveer and his team!

Room Tip: We had booked the suite cottage and it was lovely. You should chose the one facing the lawn as it gi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My review is based on our stay with our pet.

We reached Kodaikanal on 13-06-2014 at 8:30 pm with no place to stay. It was 3 of us - Me, my husband and our 2 year old Labrador Retriever - Zoe.

It's never easy to find a pet friendly place to stay.

A friend sitting in Bangalore found this place online and gave me the number. That is how we got to know about Dale Thrope Homestay.

Manager - Tanveer - a nice fellow.

About Dalethrope:

It is a bungalow and it's rooms are available on rent. We took the individual cottage which is a little secluded, bigger room and a good option with a pet. It is not an option for elderly or people who can't walk. Do carry cash as they don't accept card.

It's a simple cozy room, comfortable king size bed with cane sofa and red floor carpet. It's bathroom is tiny and just manageable. Shower curtain had algae on it which was not a nice thing to see.

The room is good if you have kids or travelling with your dog. It's king size bed can comfortably accommodate 3 adults or 2 adults + 2 kids.

They have a hammock and a volley ball court and indoor carrom board. There is no view really but good for dog to run around if no guest is around.

Food: I am a Celiac, wheat is poison for me, so food is a major issue for me. I had explained Tanveer well in advance about my food allergies and he made sure I had no problem. I didn't fall sick after eating.

Dinner - We ordered Dal Chawal and chicken curry for dinner. Homely food as expected, dal was nice but chicken was not cooked properly. Food quantity was sufficient for 2 people.

Breakfast - We ordered breakfast at around 8 am but got it by around 9:15 only. There was idly, plain dosa, omelet. It was good and the sambar yummy.

Check out time is 9am but they allowed us to move out by 11 am.

It is a little overpriced in terms of room rent but I don't mind coming here again with my dog. DO call and confirm before bringing your pet.

Hope you found the review useful.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I checked in late @ 10:30 pm due my vehicle issue on 5th June 2014 this place, first disappointment was food, it was terrible & non edible [ my all 7 family members not eat dinner that night, then I asked for 1 Jar Milk & ended up the argument] Though the first day food was horrible they charged me food bill in final bill & even I also paid it to avoid dispute as I don’t wanted to spoil my family holidays.
From second day we started having lunch & dinner @ Tava Restaurant in Kodaikanal Market, it was excellent.
We booked 2 king size suits in this bunglow. 2nd disappointment was stinky toilet, one toilet stinking like public toilet. Continues commode taps leakage.
Homely Feel in this Dale Thorpe Bunglow. If you need peace, privacy, please choose this bunglow only for boarding purpose doesn’t expect any service & if you have kids to play in garden please go ahead.
The morning breakfast was typical south Indian Dosa/Idli ..etc. really good , don’t miss that.
24 hours hot water??? forget about it. Give bucket to the staff & they will bring hot water for you.
My stay was for 3 days & my 60+ yr old 2 family members were with me hence I have not shifted to another hotel to avoid any other on boarding trouble.
I had to grab my early morning Mumbai flight on 8th june 2014, hence i left Dale Thorpe @ 2:30 am, the cab was provided by caretaker Mr.Shaheed, 3rd & last disappointment is the cab driver was drunken & stinking lot, we suffered a lot & little bit worried about life because the returning 185 km journey towards Airport was risky due to 50 km Ghat Roads.
It’s nothing personal about the Bunglow, but for 2.5 days I paid 35,050/- Rs. I can definitely expect the good service & food.
Prior to this bunglow I spend 2 days in Ooty – Mount N Mist Hotel it was excellent experience in less cost than this Bunglow.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2014

It was in last September that we planned for a trip to Kodai and while doing my share of research on good stays in Kodai is when I stumbled up on a review of Dalethorpe. Post the initial screening (which included going through their website and the gallery of course), we added this to the list of probables waiting to choose the blessed one who would get a chance to be our host. Few calls, negotiations, team discussions and we fixed up on Dalethorpe.

We were in touch with Shaheed (who runs Dalethorpe) who ably guided us over the phone (much better than a GPS) to the Dalethorpe bungalow. Only after reaching the place, we realized that he was doing this extra service sitting back at his hometown in Kerala. Helpful and friendly, Shaheed earned the first set of points for Dalethorpe. We had the suite cottages booked which was neatly maintained. Neat, elegant and well kept, the suit we stayed in even had a fire place; just added to the wow factor. The connecting veranda has options for some indoor games and if you not interested in that, you can probably just sit doing nothing. You can take a walk around the property, sit in the lawn, play badminton in their outdoor court or just relax in the hammock.

Activity or no activity, Dalethorpe is an excellent option. Warm hospitality amidst a serene environment, I would definitely recommend this place. And for a night out that you are planning with your gang of friends, ask them to prepare a barbeque by the bonfire and you will be served with some hot yummilicious barbeque prepared right in front of your eyes. Sit by the fire, enjoy the talks, enjoy some music, enjoy the company. Enjoy Dalethorpe. And when you leave you wont forget to thank Shaheed or Tanveer (Shaheed's brother) for the stay; not just a courtesy but heartfelt...

Room Tip: Try to get the Suite Cottages, which offers a luxurious residential ambiance. It has a clean and ele...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends