“very pricey for average services , but beautiful property”
Review of MGM Beach Resorts

MGM Beach Resorts
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Muttukadu
Reviewed 29 March 2014

They really have no excuse for the lack of interest in giving better services for such costly rooms. We got a thatched cottage for Rs 6000. Very spacious, bathrooms are huge. But the decor was tacky at best. It did not scream class to me. No window views. But they have a bench outside to view the sea. The biggest damper was the sea itself. It was very choppy and swimming was not allowed. The sand was dirty with lots of muck, shoes and plastic bottles.Its a pity that the main attraction was in such decay.This place could have been A+ great if they had a couple of life guards and a clean beach.Restaurants are beautiful and located at the beach. Live kitchen and tasty food. Breakfast is complimentary. Food is a bit costly. Waiters are efficient and courteous. The negatives are birds keep attacking food during day time. At breakfast we found a squirrel near our legs begging for food...quite tamed and actually was quite entertaining and had a special liking towards only cucumber. It stood up on its hind legs for more cucumber.But seriously speaking I would not want animals near my food. In the evenings mosquitoes came in thousands in the restaurant and even dived into the hot soup and made it impossible for us to open our mouth without the mosquitoes getting inside. The bar churns out extremely revolting cocktails so beware.Its an extremely safe place because we were only the ladies and we felt very safe and enjoyed a long walk on the beach and the property.They have a swimming pool which looked great. Their propert is beautiful with lakes and lots of beautiful gardens and pnds and bridges. There were separate venues for wedding parties and company events. There is a kids fun area with roller coasters etc.My advice: Get better rooms with glass showers etc and good cottages..get lower rates from online website. If the prices are lower this place is a good visit with family or friends

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
MGMHotelsIndia, General Manager at MGM Beach Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Guest ,
Firstly , I would like to thank you for time you have spared to share your experience with us.

We are indeed very grateful to you , to have helped us to throw light on areas which valued guests like you expect at our resort.

Your valuable feed backs have been shared with the concerned departmental heads and assure you that corrective action has been initiated.

We believe in the principal that Guests is the most important person at our premises and it is our endeavor that we will continue to work towards total guests comfort at all times.

Looking forward to welcoming you again at our resort.

There are newer reviews for MGM Beach Resorts

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Firstly, im a 28 year old female from Canada who unil March 3rd had never been anywhere far from home so coming to India was a huge move for me. I was searching long and hard for the perfect place to stay on my travels. Coming from -20 to +30 firstly I knew I needed to be by the water and I needed a pool. When I came across MGM I was intrigued, I did lots of research, I came to trip advisor quite often and even with the mixed reviews I decided to book, unfortunately through hotels.com.
I arrived at mgm around 130am with my partner who lives in Chennai. The gentleman with the name ayppian (excuse the spelling) was wonderful. We had already confirmed our reservation so they were expecting us to be late. Hotels.com had not sent my money through around 510.00 Canadian. As mentioned he knew we were coming, I had my print off receipt from hotels.com he said no problem ill check you in and we will deal with the issue tomorrow.
The next morning came, we went for the complimentary breakfast buffet which was amazing lots of fruit which I love. I was impressed. Came back to the room to find mgm still hadnt received the money. the problem now was that hotels.com gave me the price of 510.00 ffom wed-sun. The new price for the Park View Suite was now raised to around 780.00. (wow) In the end very worth the money. Our room was beautiful the staff was polite, friendly and accommodating. The grounds were beautiful. Im also very pleased with the level of security. I felt very safe and looked after which was a major worry for me coming on this trip.
There were a few things... not being able to go in the ocean water was a damper and the food was somewhat pricey BUT nothing major.
Next year ill be returning to MGM Beach Resort. It was perfect. Im also hoping they have some kind of incentives for returning guests.
Also I didnt mention im a part of Tourism Industry Of Nova Scotia. ill be forwarding my wonderful experience with most everyone. Thank you MGM!!!!
Also free wifi in the room saved me, it was my frist time away from my son and I was able to skype with him everyday as well as keep in touch with my family and friends

Room Tip: park view suite has a beautiful glass wall looming out the back where there is a little stream and w...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JenniferNicole010
MGMHotelsIndia, General Manager at MGM Beach Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Guest,
It fills my heart with joy and words impeccable that we express our gratitude to guests such as you .
These kind of motivating feed backs makes us work even more harder to ensure TOTAL HAPPINESS at all our guests at all times.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Beautiful Location, Great Staff, Excellent Service, Perfect Choice for a holiday, Total Relaxation with attentive staff who will look after your every need. Now the best part, The Food is first class , worth repeating that statement again the food at this hotel is good, the chefs go out of their way to cook up meals just for you, Nothing is a problem. you are made to feel special. Hard to believe this hotel is not high rated. Try it and see for yourself,

Room Tip: Rooms in the 100 range are good rooms, nice outlook and very clean.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Recently, I had my wedding reception here at MGM resorts in Muttukadu. I opted for the seaside venue midst coconut trees and I should say it is the charm of the place and excellent sea breeze in the evening is truly romantic. The sea is less than 100 yards away and we had our stage set facing the sea.Perfect for a wedding reception with 400 or less guests.

We had also booked rooms here for me and my wife (the couples) and important guests. We have been talking to the marketing manger(Mr.Sridhar) here for couple of months in advance for booking and when the day got closer, we have been talking to the operations manager(Mr.VeeraRaghavan) there. Mr.Veeraraghavan always answered our questions politely and was very helpful,both managers were very friendly and courteous in general, even after cutting down a lot of amenities, I could have availed from MGM otherwise. They did go back and forth on the prices when we decide to opt out of some of their services, though later whatever the marketing manger said prevailed.
One of the things we opted out was their catering. We did want their catering initially, but looking at their menu and the food my parents got to taste from their buffet a month before the reception, they felt it was bland for local taste and the menu was filled with north Indian dishes (nothing against north Indian dishes , it is just that we preferred to have south Indian). We did suggest them to make it more spicier to fit our taste and they might have done that, but we didn't want to take a risk and have our guests leave unsatisfied. There is one other thing I would like to mention here. Initially, when we were in talks with the chef at MGM, we decided to go for mutton biryani , but he suggested that we take chicken biryani , when I prompted for reason , the chef mentioned there were other parties/events the same day and they all have also ordered the same and I was little confused and I am still trying to figure out the logic behind this reasoning and there was hesitation to agree to Malai kofta as well.
Later, talking to a relative of ours , who also owns a couple of resorts in ECR , they offered us with more varieties , mostly south Indian, with two live kitchen counters , a cocktail bar for 50 guests and mock tail bar for 400 guests and all still for significantly lesser price than what we would have paid MGM. Also our caterers , did adjust and make last minute arrangements when the guests were actually higher in number. The live counter with variety of dosas was really helpful here. On the other hand MGM folks told us strictly that they would accommodate additional 30 people and anything beyond that they will not be able to provide. But hey, this is not western wedding where you invite each and every person and you know the exact number. You be the judge!
Okay , lets come to the day of reception, we didn't opt for any live music, as I thought it was not necessary and instead MGM folks offered to play music in the background, but I am not sure what happened , they did not play and we had to remind them later to play the music. That was the only miss from their side. Also, the reception venue had too many visible big and small bald patches without grass and they said it was due to the continuous usage of the venue. (???). The rest of the resort did have good lawns though.
Kids had the most fun here with swimming pool and lots of place to play around. The guests had a lot of good things to say about the reception in the end, which really matters in our events! It was a good reception overall and a romantic one indeed for the couple, say to take a walk on the beach or for taking pictures of your memorable day of your life!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 March 2014

its was a good weekend experience. the environment is awesome for young couples and families wit kids. house keeping could improve much better. the resort is maintained well. the entertainments are very refreshing.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
MGMHotelsIndia, General Manager at MGM Beach Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Your concern on House keeping improvement has been discussed with team and assure you commitment.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We checked in at 11.30 am as we had booked the room for a day stay and not for the night
the room was booked in my brothers name , as soon as we arrived we were offer a welcome drink and was welcomed by the front desk staffs and the front office manager, we had booked a suite and was offered 402 , we were escorted to our suite , the room was good and clean only problem was the toilet smells badly , need to be checked on.we checked in on 9th March as it was my birthday.. we went to the beach its a private beach but you cant go into the water.. lunch was good lots to eat its a buffet restaurant staffs very helpful , we had given our order to room at 4.30 pm service and we had ordered tea and some snacks service needs to improve in room service as its very slow, at 5pm we got a call from the front desk informing us to come for in house games
they took a photo of us and games were good, we had a good time and enjoyed our stay will come back this time and stay for the night, night time is very beautiful and the resort is well lit up with lights .

Room Tip: Chose a room facing the pond , and rabbits
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 294264Mark
MGMHotelsIndia, General Manager at MGM Beach Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Me & my friends went to MGM beach resort in Chennai by 4.30 pm. thinking it would be nothing but the best. They had nice ambience. Served liquor in a table which had a nice beach view. But birds were a little disturbance. By 5.30pm the staff said they don't have food bec the kitchen was off. The staff did not inform about this prior to this. More horrible was no water facility in the bathroom also. The staff just turned us saying its ur wish either to continue or walk off..... We did not expect this kind of response from the staff & MGM resort. I would rate this service as very poor. Very poor than TASMAC.......

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank ksr_onin

Dear Guest ,

Looking forward to welcoming you again at our resort.

Sunil Tandon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Muttukadu
MGM Eastwoods
MGM Eastwoods
#81 of 400 in Chennai (Madras)
Grande Bay Resort and Spa
InterContinental Chennai Mahabalipuram Resort
Chariot Beach Resort
Chariot Beach Resort
#7 of 27 in Mahabalipuram

Been to MGM Beach Resorts? Share your experiences!