“Nothing special...”

Ranked #80 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Bern, Switzerland
“Nothing special...”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed two nights here. Bungalows are clean and spacious. AC worked well. But the resort seemed a bit soulless, staff not really interessted. Beach is just a small strip of sand, at low tide just rocks. Good for a stop over, not more.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christian M

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Booked this hotel one month in advance through Agoda with 2 other friends to stay for 5 nights over new years 2013/2014. Upon arrival the rude and unwelcoming attendant informed us that our room was infested with bed bugs and the rest of the hotel was full, so we would have to stay at another hotel they had arranged for us. We attempted to get them to put us in another room in the hotel, but the lady was extremely unaccommodating. It was clear that our room was not infested and that they had just overbooked and were farming out guests to other hotels.

Usually we would have said we would find our own accommodation and seek a refund through Agoda, but it was 3 days before NYE and the entire island (and every other island near by) was booked out (we had checked before hand). We made sure we inspected a room at Lanta New Beach before being taken to the other hotel. It was of much inferior quality, it was no where near the beach, did not have a pool or a bar and was in an inconvenient location for accessing beaches, cafes, restaurants, etc. (the reasons we had chosen Lanta New Beach). It was obviously much cheaper than the room we had booked at Lanta New Beach.

After one night in the replacement hotel we returned to Lanta New Beach and demanded either a room at Lanta New Beach or a different hotel. The same rude woman laughed at us, ridiculed us to our faces and to her friends standing nearby and told us we could go and find our own hotel. She said this knowing full well that virtually all hotels were full. Unfortunately we had little choice but continue to deal with these horrible people in order to have some accommodation and find some time to enjoy our holiday. We had to have several additional interactions with them where they: stood us up for 2 hours after making a pre-arranged meeting time and place; tried to make us pay additional money to get a room at a different hotel than the crappy one they put us up in. They finally found us another room for our final 2 nights that only had 2 beds for 3 people - I slept on a mattress on the floor; then Lanta New Beach flatly refused to pay for our stay in this other hotel, so we had to fight with that hotelier to explain that we had already paid for 5 nights through Agoda and that Lanta New Beach was supposed to be paying for our stay. They completely screwed over not just us, but other hotel businesses on Kho Lanta.

We also met 3 other groups of people (couples and groups) that had also been told by Lanta New Beach that there was no room for them and that they would have to stay elsewhere. This appears to be standard practice for them, when it's busy just keep taking additional bookings over and above what they can accommodate, and then farm out business to others and sometimes refusing to pay these other hotels, and making a handsome profit. It's disgusting.

Unfortunately it was a difficult situation with Agoda also. We called Agoda early on, but they said they would have to confirm the situation with the hotel before they could offer a refund or do anything. Considering we were basically stuck on this island with little other option for accommodation a day before NYE we asked Agoda not to talk to Lanta New Beach as we did not trust that they wouldn't make it very difficult for us to find any accommodation.

We spent on average 3hrs each day of our 5 day holiday dealing with Lanta New Beach and trying to search for other accommodation. This completely screwed up our holiday and was so unnecessary. Eventually Agoda did provide a refund for this trip, but it took some convincing. Avoid this hotel at all costs.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank cammclennan

Travellers are raving about these Ko Lanta hotels

Gaylord, Michigan
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

As said many times, it's all about expectations. Having toured Thailand and stayed in many guest houses, for the price and never having been to Ko Lanta, my expectations were high based on the pictures shown on the internet. I booked in Krabi with a tour agent and upon arriving, I swore I had been duped. This was not the place I was led to believe I would be staying. The "check in" and entrance looked horribly decrepit. The room I was shown to was no where near what I expected. However, despite being told by the agent that if I wasn't happy with the accommodations, I could get my money back, no one (including the agent I called on the phone) seemed willing to make amends and refund my money. So, I sucked it up. This is guest house accommodations but on a great beach location. You don't get your bungalow cleaned everyday but I didn't in any other guest house. The staff was wonderful especially in the bar/restaurant. They also moved me to a different bungalow the next day which was newer and larger. Stay to the beach end of the property and you honestly feel like you are removed from everything. The beds were a bit hard for my taste but again, think guest house accommodations. The pool was great, sunsets amazing and food good. I ate almost every meal there really didn't leave the property except to walk along the main road a few times.
Would I come back here again? Absolutely! Now that I know what to expect of Ko Lanta. Unless you're looking for a four star resort, this is a great place.
For the management: it would be nice to either put towels in the rooms or advise guests where they are available. I had to ask.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Stayed here during the tsunami in 2004 as a twenty-something backpacker. Checked in on Dec 23rd and left on Jan 1st, 2005. I was interested to read recent reviews as the majority matched my opinions in the resort back in 2004. Seems like not much has changed since my stay. I found management and reception staff very unfriendly. Made good friends with the Thai bar manager who was leasing the bar from the owners (they were Muslim so against their beliefs to serve alcohol but needed this bar to attract customers to the resort), and who looked after us no-end during the evacuation and aftermath. Hoping to return yet again to Thailand next year en famille but will not be staying at this resort. Klong Nin will be our destination. During tsunami this New Beach was partially destroyed - bar and restaurant area swept away, pools also destroyed. Thankfully most of our bungalows escaped damage but we were all evacuated to a nearby hill where we stayed overnight. I am glad that this resort is back up and running although it looks exactly as it was 9 years ago. Disappointed to hear that similar issues still exist in terms of the upkeep of the bungalows and staff. (Didn't travel here in 2014 obviously!)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 February 2014

There are a lot of bad reviews out here for this resort, but we booked it anyway. This is not a place to bring children, the on site bar/restaurant offers "big joints" and "bang lassi's" and plays a lot of Bob Marley if you get my drift. There is two pools at the resort one being really tucked away and quiet and the other being on the beach. This isn't a party resort, but this isn't a party island anyway. We are a couple in our late twenties and we enjoyed staying here - the food was REALLY good from the restaurant, but do not expect luxury. This is a rustic type of place and the accommodation reflects that.

The women working are very grumpy but to be honest the rude people we have seen along our travels reflects her attitude. Poor Thai people have to suffer a lot with the brash and expecting nature of some European travellers.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 7 February 2014

The bungalows are in a nice area and the swimmingpool and restaurant area is lovley. The bungalows are spacious, but maintenance is non existent. Handles are broken, bathroom is always wet as water is leaking from hoses (several/all rooms). Mirrors are not cleaned and remnants from previous guests showing. Problems with AC when we arrived, but got fixed.
Room itself was nice and clean when we arrived, so was the sheets. Towels not there, and had to be fetched from reception. We were there 4 nights (prepaid), and the room was never cleaned or tidied!
We stayed here 3 years ago and case back as it was nice then. Not again...
Tried to explain our dislikes when leaving, but don't think they understood.
Staff at restaurant very friendly.

Room Tip: Rooms close to the pool area can have some disturbance from the music at the restaurant late at nigh...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
victoria
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We booked accommodation at the shuttle bus station in Krabi, before arriving in Koh Lanta. We were told the usual same same but different at the lady at the reception so we booked. When we arrived I thought the place was great, 2 pools, a restaurant on the beach (which I didn't eat at so I cant say how it was), everything was clean, wifi in the rooms. I went on TripAdvisor out of curiosity and was super disappointed to see Lanta New Beach had such bad reviews. I thought everything was great. The ladies at the reception had my laundry ready the next day, and were lovely about it, our room was super clean, as was the pool. I think maybe people have unrealistic expectations. This place is pretty basic. Just a TV, AC and a fridge which is really all you need.

The only thing that really bothered me was the fact I could hear the guys next door all night long. The bungalows are duplexes and you could hear practically everything through the walls.

I definitely thought the beach was going to be nicer. But that's my own fault for not doing more research.

All in all, I would recommend this bungalow. Its in a pretty decent location near some really good restaurants.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple