“Lovely resort!”

Oslo, Norway
“Lovely resort!”
Reviewed 7 January 2013

The resort
Wonderful resort! Very nice and clean. Very green, gives you the feeling that you are in the jungle but close to the beach. It's small (14 bungalows), excellent personal and laid back service,

The bungalow (sand castle)
Lovely, beautiful design, the bathroom are very big and clean. It was on the beach, and in the jungle/forest, so be aware of the mosquito, use insect spray in the evening!

The other bungalows can also be recommended. We usually preferred staying at the bar/restaurant when not sleeping or being on the beach. As the resort is small, the difference was a lot smaller than we thought it would be beforehand.

The restaurant
Very good food, we love the wonton soup, the thai seafood salad, the curries and fried rice :)
The service was excellent! The staff was very service minded, always friendly, kind, a lot of fun and genuine, the best service we ever experienced.

Except from all the free beers and drinks (thanks if you read this), we loved the smoothies.

The beach
A long and private beach. Very beautiful with clear blue water, There are some stones the first meters when you enter the water (depending on the time of the year, late high season, the stones are almost gone), but there are always some paths with sand. When you're behind the stones there is 5-8 feet water and sand all over.

The beach is only shared by one other resort (Bamboo Beach). Both are small resorts and the beach is big.

At the end of the beach there is good snorkel, we saw lots of fishes and even a sea-turtle. On the rocky hill beside a monkey with kids on the stomach were hunting crabs.. and no other people:)

Getting around
We rented a scooter for three days and it didn't take us long to drive to other beaches. We got picked up ON the beach, 200 meters away from our bungalow, for our snorkle-trip. Even though the resort is far away from the city center/Saladan we did never feel this as a drawback, rather the opposite.

If you want a party island, you go on another island, and if you want to relax in paradise take the 15 min extra drive from Saladan/Long Beach to Lalaanta:)

Even though some mosquito bites and towel that shreds cotton a bit, we're not in doubt this is one of the best vacations we've had.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Thanh82

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We are currently staying at La Laanta for a 4 night stay. We are seasoned travelers, having been to many remote and rustic locations all over the globe. La Laanta is certainly a nice hideaway, away from most of the resorts, giving us a place to rest our minds. However, because of this, it can be pricey if you want to head into town, to explore, or even when booking boats for snorkeling. We wanted to try some fresh seafood in Saladan and the car service they provide is 1400baht to go into town. We had one of the best dinners we ever tasted in Saladan (and that is saying a lot since we live in a food capital), but I am disappointed that I have to debate with myself if I want to go back into town because of the price of the trip. The food in the restaurant here is the worst we have had on our trip (we were in Bangkok and Chiang Mai) and costs just as much as good Thai food in the US, so we really would prefer to go elsewhere to eat, but the ride would cost more than our dinner. We joined a snorkeling trip, and they charged us 20% more per person because La Laanta is out of the way. However, we gladly paid because it was still nearly half the price of what the receptionist at La Laanta quoted us.
The property itself is rustic, a quality with which we are quite familiar. However, beware of the patios in front of the bungalow. One of us fell quite badly and injured a leg when the patio broke under the weight. Now, we are all small Asian women, so it was quite surprising to see that not only had we fallen, but that there was another board already broken and not yet repaired.
While the accomodations are comfortable enough, the room cleaning is truly basic. Understandably, it is difficult to keep a room in this environment clean, so they do their best. However, we did leave towels on the floor last night to indicate we needed clean ones. We rarely do this, only if the towels are absolutely dirty, which these were indeed. However, we came back today to find our dirty towels folded and placed on our beds. We had to go take the dirty towels to reception and ask for clean ones.
When we stay in places like this, we usually pay a quarter of the price. With this price, we expected more, and being on our last leg of our trip, we feel a little cheated out of our nice vacation.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank GogoTrekker
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 6 January 2013

we absolutely adored la laanta. we loved every little thing about it. i brought my family and two friends here for a week for christmas and it met all of our individual wants and needs (varying in age from 26 to 65). everyone has been raving about the staff and reminiscing about our days and planning return visits. want to lie in a hammock all day? there are many to choose from. want to go on day trips and get out and about? chico will organize it for you. want to watch a movie in bed? borrow one from the front desk.

just a few of the other things that we loved about la laanta:

-the location. the beach was perfection, far away from crazy action. do not be put off by the rocks as you can easily get passed them. if you wanted to go into town or to a restaurant it was never a problem. we rented motor scooters one day to explore the whole island, went on a walk to explore the national park, and explored other beaches by kayak. but at the end of the day we still thought our location was the best to come home to!

-the transfers to and from the airport were seamless. bring snacks as it is a little long.

-the food and drinks. yum! everything on the menu was delicious. i loved the smoothie menu, and they would always make something slightly different if we asked them. super accommodating. and no reason to eat elsewhere! breakfast could have been repetitive for some but didn't bother me. the bar menu was wonderful. mojitos were a hit!

-rooms. simple but sweet. my mother wished there had been more shelving or drawers for unpacking so we didn't have to live out of suitcases. they easily accommodated a third bed in my room when i had an extra friend join us! my brother and his girlfriend had their room upgraded for free so they could be closer to us.

-the christmas eve dinner and show. one of the most unique experiences of my life. the combination of games, shows, dancing, fireworks and the personal treatment from all of the staff made it an unforgettable holiday. worth the price!

-it never felt crowded. there was always a chair on the beach or a table at dinner. all ages fit in well. we had to tear ourselves away from the resort to go and do anything because really, we just did not want to leave!

we want to extend a special thank you to all the staff who made our christmas so special. no, chuay and tic at the bar offered boundless energy, knew our names within the first five minutes and made us feel like we were the only guests at the resort. chico offered hours of entertainment and we will never forget his christmas eve show. he was so helpful AND hilarious the whole week. the massage ladies offered us thai lessons and lovely smiles. june and patrick made us feel like old friends, sharing in conversation and drinks throughout the week. it is so obvious that la laanta is a labour of love for the owners and that they hire staff with good hearts and positive energy - the place oozes magic, and we will be back.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 6 January 2013

A great little resort at the most southern point of Ko Lanta. Truelly Hide Away, since it is the last resort before the national park. It has about 15 bungalows which all have a little terrace. The crew is amazing. Very relaxed! Don't disturb them during volleyball. We enjoyed our stay very much with our 1,5 year old boy, who was allowed to wander around everywhere. There a nice pools, also for kids. We were there during Christmas and the crew did everything they could to make us have the best time. They succeeded!
The only point of critisism is the cleaning of the room and the quality of the bed. Both weren't that good, but in no way did it spoil our time there. We definitely hope to come back once!

Room Tip: The sea view bungalows are great. Next to the pool and a great view!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 17 December 2012

I travelled to Ko Lanta solo in November and, thanks to the Trip Advisor contributors, stayed at LaLaanta for four nights. The ferry pickup was seamless and I was taken across the island to the resort. As others have said, LaLaanta is snuggled up to the National Park and is one of the most pristine parts of the island. I stayed in one of the cheaper accommodations away from the beach, but it was lovely and surrounded by lush greenery. It felt very private. The staff is just wonderful! They seemed very tuned in and determined to give each guest the kind of holiday they were looking for. You want to be on the go and run around the island? They can help you. You want to have dinner somewhere else on the island, they can hook you up. For myself, I was more than content to hang out at the resort, do my 'lap' swimming in the sea, and then chill out by the awesome infinity pool all day. The food was fantastic (and the homemade croissants irresistible) and the handcrafted cocktails were delish. The owner, Patrick, is very hands-on with the care of the resort and you will most likely be in contact with him when you make your reservation. Just a small example of the kindness I experienced: I was in the pool and mentioned to the fabulous manager, June, that I'd be needing to go into town to buy a hat as I forgot mine on the ferry. A few minutes later, June appeared with a hat from her own collection for me to use until I got mine! Photo attached of the kind, June. All the guys at the bar are awesome - and one in particular is a darn good dancer - you know who you are!! I added an extra day to my planned trip and I suggest you plan to do the same - you won't want to leave. Forgot to mention: there are two pools at the resort, I'm not sure if anyone mentioned that. The infinity pool and below it a nice sized rectangular pool - about 4' in depth all the way across - the both face the beach.

Room Tip: If you stay at the back of the property, it's like being in a tropical garden. The cottages in...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Vhee
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2012

We had such a wonderful time at this hotel; we are already trying to figure out when we can go back. We had read all the reviews and it was still so much better than we thought.

Ok it’s not a 5 Star luxury resort, but that’s not why you are here. We knew it was going to be a rustic location, where we could relax and take in the beautiful surroundings and views. But even so we were probably a little bit more surprised how rustic it was when we first arrived. You go through where all the staff live, and then arrive at the first hut and make you way down to reception. This is where you truly feel that you are just arriving at a friend’s house. There is no standing on grace with bell boys to take your luggage or a concierge to make your first dinner reservation. You have Chico who welcomes you with a drink and a smile and treats you as if you are a long lost friend returning for a visit. The check in process was the easiest I have ever know…basically a chat and then shown to the room.

We stayed in a Horizon Gaze room, and it was everything we wanted. The bed is on an elevated platform with just a mattress and no base. The mattress is pretty firm, but it is great for the back. It also has a mini fridge with new water every day, plus more importantly somewhere to keep all the beers cold. It had some deck chairs on the porch where you could just watch the world fly by, as you soaked up doing absolutely nothing. The décor in the room was great and was no over the top extravagances… the most important feature being the air conditioning. My only slight critic would be the wardrobe and lack of space for unpacking. Yes there is a wardrobe there, but it is fairly impractical to hang and unpack for 2. For the 6 nights we were there, we just lived out the suitcase, and with the size of the room it really wasn’t an issue.
We tended to spend most of the time by the infinity pool rather than the beach. We always prefer cooling off in the pool rather than the sea, so we just chilled here most days. There was never a fight for a sunbed, in fact there seem to be way more sunbeds than people. The pool (there are 2 pools but never swam in the 2nd one) was lovely and refreshing. The sea was stunning; it has to be the warmest sea I have ever swum in. And the view from the beach, overlooking Koh Ha (I think that is right) made for some of the most romantic/beautiful places to have a drink and watch the sunset.

We ate most nights at the hotel, and the food was great. We tried most things on the menu, and did not find a thing to complain about. In fact the only night we did not eat at the hotel and tried somewhere different, was the night we were served raw chicken. We also went to the BBQ on the Friday night. This has such a great reputation on the island, locals we met when diving told us not to miss this; even they turn up for it. Breakfast is not the greatest you will ever have, but it has enough variety to satisfy most tastes I would have thought. Plus the pane chocolate is amazing.

The Location is great as well. You are away from everything, and right next to the National Park, although there are a couple of bars on the beach and somewhere to get a massage whilst watching the sunset. You are surrounded by nature, and will see Lizards, monkeys etc. There is also a beetle that lives in the forest and makes the highest pitched (and loud) noise I have ever heard (sounds like a modem connecting). Thankfully it is not all the time, it tends to be when the sun is rising and setting. But what can you do, you are in nature and is just an extra charm to this place.

And lastly the staff. They truly do make this place. Where else can you sit and drink with the owner of the hotel watching football, or chill and play Volleyball with the staff? They seem to have such a genuine enjoyment of what they do and want to make you stay as enjoyable as possible. As the title says, it is like being with friends rather than at a hotel. They all get to know you, what you like and seem to do almost anything to make the stay perfect. We really couldn’t say enough about how great these guys were.

Without a doubt, LaLaanta has to be one of the best hotels we have stayed at. It was a perfect match to the Island, of being laid back and so relaxing. Leaving on check out day was probably the hardest thing; we could have stayed a lifetime (even happy to work behind the bar if Patrick would like).

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed 15 December 2012 via mobile

Where to start with this resort. My wife and I travelled here at the beginning of December for 9 nights having been in Hong Kong for 4 nights previous. This place is just what we wanted.

We arrived into Krabi at 7:30pm and had previously arranged for the hotel to arrange a taxi to take us to resort. When we cleared Krabi airport (which is tiny and basic) we were met by a smiley face wearing a LaLaanta t-shirt with a sign with my name.

He escorted us to the jeep and helped with the luggage. He also asked if we would like the hotel to keep the restaurant open late so we could eat when arrived. A nice touch although not needed as we had eaten.

Now the drive is not for the car-sick as it takes a good 2.5 hours half of which is on winding rounds and includes 2 ferry crossings.

Once we arrived we were met almost instantly by Chico who showed us our room. As we had been travelling for about 12 hours bed was calling, I did want a beer to refresh me which was brought to the room within minutes.

The room was an horizon gaze room, which is very Thai and very simplistic, bed on raised floor etc, but perfectly adequate and clean. It had a mosquito net, which we used nightly although we saw very few insects throughout our stay, which was good considering you are in the middle of the Thai jungle next to the national park. My only gripe about the room was the shower is too low and appears more as hand shower. Not a massive deal though and not something I felt I needed to raise to the staff.

The beach is clean enough and definitely so in front of the resort. Further down you may find some rubbish, but this is ultimately a remote beach, if you want pristine and perfectly clean go to a private beach some where more built up. Again remember where you are.

We ate in the hotel restaurant for lunch and dinner throughout our stay. The menu has plenty of choice. On the Friday night they do a BBQ seafood buffet with huge shrimps and crabs all you can eat. They also gave us a free bottle of wine. The mains dishes especially are excellent,made the Thai way so some are very spicy, but you can request almost anything and the staff will accommodate no problems. .

This brings me on to the staff. They are probably the friendliest staff I have ever met and certainly some of the most helpful. They are very relaxed throughout the day, watching tv, playing cards etc but will always jump to your needs without any problems. Previous reviews about them being lazy is utter rubbish and these people obviously stayed somewhere different to me.

At 5 Ish each night they all have a break and play volleyball on the beach and encourage the guests to join in, I did however my wife was not so keen. She usually sat in the bar being served by a member of staff who was not playing.
The reward for playing was a free beer most nights.

To top it all off on our last night they set a table on the beach and gave us another free bottle of wine and appetiser. Again a nice touch for our honeymoon.

All in all in would highly recommend this resort, you have to bare in mind this resort is not pretending to be 5-star. It is very simple and relaxed. There is nothing I could really fault.

Thank you LaLaanta and all the staff for making a great trip of both of us. We hope to be back soon.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple