“Best relaxing place ever”

LaLaanta Hideaway Resort
Ranked #20 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Kuala Lumpur
“Best relaxing place ever”
Reviewed 14 May 2009

Me and my family with two young kids (a 5 months and a 2year old) stayed 10 days at La Laanta in the beginning of January 2009. We're happy to recommend this place to anyone who's looking for a relaxing stay. If u are a party animal, maybe this is not the best place to stay.

First of all, thank u Patrick for helping us finding our sons teddy bear that we forgot. And also to find a Swedish traveller that could bring it back to Sweden so that our son now can go to sleep without missing his favourite. That's what I call service!

Back to LaLaanta. Even if it was fully booked and the staff had been really busy with guests over x-mas an new year we felt very well taken care off. First a big private car picked us up at the air port and the driver served us with both snacks and DVDs for the kids. The trip from Krabi air port takes a few hours so be prepared if u go with children.
At the arrival we were greeted by lovely friendly staff in a very relaxed and informal athmosphere. We stayed at one of the Horizon Gaze Villas and it was perfect for our family. Easily fitted a baby cot too.

The beach is just perfect and since LaLaanta is the last resort b4 the national park it was less tourists and hardly any beach vendors than u r used to see. The water was crystal clear and clean.

The food was good, (we've been living in Asia for 3 yrs so kid of picky) but maybe a bit too adjusted to please Europeans, not so spicy that means. We also tried the next door neighbours resturants and if u stay for a longer time it's a good alternetive to get som variation. And u don´t get ruined by eating at La Laanta - if the owners wanted to, they could have squeeze every penny of u, but they don't.

LaLaanta is a quiet place and moste of the guests that we met were couples, quite a few on their honney moon. I guess our family made some noice and some guests were a bit annoyed with the two year old running around, but the staff was just great with him.
They also helped us out when we needed to go to the hospital for a check up, no problems fixing transport and a driver.

Since both me and my husband likes jogging we went out early mornings for some run and u can find a track wherever u want, hardly any traffic and u met some monkeys and elephants. But it's almost too hot in January to be jogging.

Ok, now u go and try this place out!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Stina2

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Ham
Reviewed 14 May 2009

The LaLaanta was just unbelievable! Found after nights and nights of research on the web, it turned out to be the best we could have found in Thailand!

The bay in the south of Koh Lanta is quiet yet everything can be reach quickly with a scooter that can be rented in the resort. And for boat trips or such, just talk to June and the boat will pick you up right on the beach.
The little houses (every party gets their own, no one disturbing you in any staircases) are decorated to tastefully, it is just a pleasure to stay there!

But the best part are the people! Patrick, June and Tony make this place truely the paradise you came looking for when going on a vacation in Thailand!

Thank you so much and hope to return soon!

• Stayed November 2008
London
Reviewed 13 May 2009

We were excited about our stay at La Lanta Hideaway (having corresponded with Patrick prior to arrival, he was incredibly helpful re transfers) and were not disappointed. We stayed at the resort for three nights and embraced the hideaway retreat. The resort is secluded and in a quiet location surrounded by forest, the perfect place to relax and recharge your batteries whilst reading a good book.

We stayed in the Enchanted villa which was simple but stylish - nicely furnished and included air con, a fridge and a mosquito net; all you need for a great stay in Thailand! There is also a DVD player in the room and a good selection of films to chose from for a night in. You can also find a library of books and free internet access available near the reception area.

Bamboo beach is literally on your doorstep and during our stay, there were only ever 4 people on the long stretch of beach. We thought this was fantastic as it gave a real castaway feel to the place. The sunsets are incredible but make sure you put mosquito repellant on before sitting on the beach to enjoy it! Kyaks can be used to explore the coastline and are also free of charge.

Patrick, June and the team are very welcoming and extremely hospitable. Every day at 3pm, the guests are brought a fruit juice which we thought was a nice touch and certainly refreshing. We thought the Thai food was delicious in the restaurant and good value, we loved the vietnamese spring rolls and the chicken satay and would recommend BBQ night. The cocktails and the smoothies were some of the best that we have ever had. The vibe around the bar in the evening is buzzing. Patrick's 'monstrous' drinking sessions are legendary within the Hideaway community (one more for the road!) which can provide entertainment and lots of laughs!

To summarize, this resort is perfect for a couple of days of chilling in beautiful, peaceful surroundings with friendly and attentive service and staff. Having read the comments on the remoteness of the resort being a surprise or disappointment, I would say that the clue is in the name - La Lanta 'Hideaway"! We'll be back.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2009

My husband and I stayed 6 nights in LaLaanta in the Sand castle room. This hotel and island is the only place we've stayed in the Thai islands, so I don't have much to compare with.
Our stay in LaLaanta was at the end of our trip. We spent the previous two weeks exploring Laos, Northern Thailand and Bangkok. We wanted some rest and relaxation at the end of our trip. At first I was slightly disappointed with the Thai islands. I had seen so many pictures and I felt like what I was seeing was less impressive. I felt the beach at LaLaanta was a simple, clean and beautiful place, but it wasn't jaw dropping. We had chosen this place because it was secluded, small and seemed really laid back. We weren't looking to party or do non-stop activities. And for this, LaLaanta was perfect. In just five days, I really had the impression that time almost stood still. And as much as I was so excited to be in Asia for the first time and almost wished we'd have planned more sight-seeing as opposed to beach bumming, the five days at LaLaanta was truly restorative. We had massages in our room which were given by a very kind woman.
We spent several days just relaxing on the beach. I had the time to read two full books! I really appreciated the small library at the resort as I didn't imagine I'd have so much time to read and only had brought one small book. We also took a kayak out on the ocean which was a lot of fun. We went on the snorkeling trip to Ko Rok. Now Ko Rok is how I imagined Thai beach paradise. That was the most stunning beach I've ever seen. The trip was a lot of fun and the snorkeling was great. I'd agree with others to wear a T-shirt when snorkeling. My husband got a sun stroke and wasn't able to enjoy so much his last day at LaLaanta.
As for the food, I'm a real foodie. I was i general slightly disappointed with the food in Thailand as opposed to the food in Laos. The food at LaLaanta was generally good. Some dishes were better than others. After 3-4 days we got a bit tired of the menu. We ventured off to the other two resorts on the beach. We didn't bring a lot of cash with us to LaLaanta seeing that we didn't exactly realize how secluded we'd be. The closest ATM is 3 km away! The last night we wanted to try another restaurant but didn't have enough cash. Ahyhow, it wasn't a big deal and we knew we'd find something on the menu at LaLaanta. The food was reasonably priced for a resort. The shakes and drinks were amazing. I liked the ambiance at night, with the candles and relaxing music.
We found our room very comfortable and clean. I liked the shower but agree that the baths could have been made to be a bit more comfortable. The rate of the room was not cheap although we were traveling at the peak season and had the most expensive room. Nonetheless, it wasn't the cheap Thailand I had heard about!
I loved the resort's pool and spent the day moving between the ocean and the pool, of course taking breaks to enjoy a smoothie or a Singha beer. (Please bring Singha beer to Montreal!!!)
I would agree with others that this place is very secluded, but isn't that what you usually look for in a beach paradise. Originally I thought I'd do some shopping in Ko Lanta but soon I realized we were not close to any shops. But it wasn't a big deal, I mean how much did I really need to shop anyways? We were about to disconnect and really unwind at LaLaanta and that's what we really wanted.
I think it would be great if they offered yoga classes on the beach. This would have made my stay 100% complete.
The staff at LaLaanta is great. We'll always remember Mackey's smile and Patrick's care and attention.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 13 May 2009

This resort is not for those who want 5* elegance it is for those who want to feel close to nature and to just relax in an almost perfect setting with the beach in front of you and the forest behind you. The staff were not staff they were friends there to make your stay as pleasant and enjoyable as possible. It is not luxurious, it is charming and after 6 days we really did not want to leave. We hope to return and find it just as we left it.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2009

We stayed in a sandcastle villa initially and while it was spacious, it smelt bad from the drains. As another review said, the bath was cement and grubby and the bathroom was not a haven, more a splash and dash pit stop. The bed was not particularly comfortable, and while the design was nice, the whole thing was in need of a refresh.

We also found the location just that bit too far removed from civilisation. If you even want one night out, it's going to cost to get you home to this, the far, far end of the island. We would have stayed at the hotel more, except as seasoned travellers, we found it overpriced and the menu only average.

There were so many washed up jellyfish on the beach when we were there, we didn't risk swimming. We found far better sea and sand elsewhere.

We won't be going back to Koh Lanta (too developed and commercialised now) and even if we did, it wouldn't be to LaLaanta.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jbr12
Australia
Reviewed 11 May 2009

We stayed at LaLaanta for 6 nights at the end of April 09. As all the other reviews say, this hotel is very secluded and isolated. The beach is lovely and quite and the hotel is surrounded by lush rainforest. It is a wonderful place to stay if you want rest and no hassle. There is a great bar and restaurant on the beach with great Thai food, juices and cocktails. The service in the restaurant is friendly and very attentive. We even had a couple of meals on our verandar watching the sun set. The rooms are ok. We were upgraded to a Sand Castle Villa which was situated closest to the beach and the pool. It had lovely views, however, in our opinion, the beds were a little hard (especially after 6 nights) and the bathroom was not what you would expect for the price. We believe the owners have gone for a rustic beach feel when designing the bungalows but we thought a little more effort could have gone into the bathroom design. For example, there is a large bath but it is a cement bath without tiles so it was not so appealing to get in. It was a little run down in some places. Also, the shower didn't have good pressure. Overall, we thought that the rooms were looking a little run down after such a short time (the hotel has only been open since 2007). Perhaps, this is supposed to go with the whole beach theme, but we would have liked to seen a little more comfort for the price. There are DVD players in the rooms and a great selection of DVD's to borrow free of charge. It was great to watch a film after dinner. There is also a good selection of books in the library. The breakfast could also be improved. There was one morning where the milk was sour, as the staff leave the milk for the cereal out of the fridge for the whole of the breakfast period and in that heat, it went sour. If you stay for more than 3 days, the breakfast becomes a little monotonous, as the selection didn't change from day to day. Despite these things, we loved the vibe of the place and the staff were very friendly and attentive. They will take you in the hotel 4WD if you want to go to some other places on the island. There are also scooters for rent - we used these during the day to explore the island but we wouldn't recommend people drive them back to the hotel at night because the roads are very bumpy and rough. We were a little disappointed that we couldn't go snorkelling / diving while we were there because the water was too rough and visibility wasn't good, as it was the onset of the monsoon season. We wouldn't have wanted to be there any later than we were, as it was quite windy most days and the sea was very choppy. Despite, the little things for improvement, we would definately recommend this hotel for a relaxing getaway. Don't expect exciting nightlife but expect to feel very rested and calm when you leave. It is not a large hotel where you feel like you are just another number. Its more like a homestay in a beautiful secluded location. After we left Koh Lanta, we travelled to Ao Nang beach for a night. It made us realise how fantastic Koh Lanta and LaLannta Hideaway had been, as Ao Nang is very busy and the beach doesn't even come close to the beauty of the beaches in Koh Lanta

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple