We spent 16 days on Koh Lanta, staying 8 days each in the hotels ranked 1st and 2nd by Tripadvisor members: (1) Layana resort and (2) Lalaanta Hideaway. Both were excellent in their own way, truly deserving their almost unbelievably high ratings by everyone.
At Lalaanta Hideaway, it is worth spending extra for the Sandcastle Villas. We were in villa 105, which had wonderful views over the infinity pool, beach and sea. The room was spacious with extensive glass windows that allow you to admire all the jungle greenery. Breakfast was great, with juices, fruit, eggs and bacon, excellent pastries and very fresh bread for toast. Some days June makes pain au chocolat herself (getting up at 6am to prepare the many-layered pastry). Nearly the cafes in Paris use factory-prepared pastry for their croissants and pains au chocolat (I saw on TV recently), so it is amazing to get the real thing in such a remote location in Thailand.
The Bamboo beach is great but the sea can be a bit tricky in such a Southerly location. The breakers are not so big but occasionally you can get caught out and spun round. The sea is not suitable for children or those weak on their legs. (Further North in Layana Resort, the sea was like a mirror.)
The lunches and dinners at Lalaanta are fine, with a weekly seafood barbecue. If you want some variety, there are two other restaurants along the beach, both with good viewing platforms for the memorable sunsets from this beach.
The Lalaanta sun loungers are comfortable enough, but heavy to move and you cannot get easy shade after about 2pm because the sun is coming in at a narrow angle, from the West - out at sea - and the shadow from sunshades moves accordingly.
We had a great eight days at Lalaanta, excellent value with a very friendly and helpful staff. If you are worried about the references to hotel dogs in the other reviews, don't be. They are no trouble whatsoever and we scarcely noticed them. I am very happy to give this resort five stars in every category!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Artistically inspired living on the most private beach for that castaway experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your LaLaanta Hideaway Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lalaanta Hideaway Hotel Ko Lanta
- Lalaanta Hideaway Ko Lanta